Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you charge?

How do you mainly charge your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished self-installing a 220v outlet in my garage so I could specifically use the "included charger". With an OD 2/28 and a pushback today of 05/27-6/01, I better get it or a voucher for one whenever the heck it comes back in stock. With this crappy news and tens of thousands of suckers like us having to purchase one, I'm guessing they'll need to repurpose Giga Texas into a Mobile Connector plant. I'd like to know who the heck they polled that brought them to this decision.

I just finished self-installing a 220v outlet in my garage so I could specifically use the "included charger". With an OD 2/28 and a pushback today of 05/27-6/01, I better get it or a voucher for one whenever the heck it comes back in stock. With this crappy news and tens of thousands of suckers like us having to purchase one, I'm guessing they'll need to repurpose Giga Texas into a Mobile Connector plant. I'd like to know who the heck they polled that brought them to this decision.
Agreed. I’m in the process of installing my 14-50 outlet.

This might might make sense in 15 years when EVs are ubiquitous and most people have some sort of EVSE at home, but many Tesla buyers are buying their first EV.

I fully expected to install a wall connector, but just never bothered as the mobile connector did the job.

I do wonder if a whole lot of people just consider it an insurance policy, where they can just charge on 120V for a couple hours instead of needing to call a tow truck if they miscalculate their range.

Selling an electric car without a way to charge it, seems largely irresponsible. I know some people have compared it to apple and them not including a cord with the phones anymore, which is also silly, but not as bad. Apple has been around to the point where 90% of people buying an iPhone, are upgrading from an old iPhone and thus have the cable. Most Tesla owners are buying their first Tesla, and will need the cable as that's a big selling point of an EV, HOME CHARGING.

Maybe their idea was to push people to pay a few hundred more and get the Wall Connector, as I feel that was teslas goal anyway.

Should be an option at checkout to not included it (-$400) if you don't require it, but it should still come standard.

My new Model Y better come with one or in might just have to order a 3rd party J1772 charger and use the adapter

I haven't yet seen a binary mobile connector poll, and I think this might be helpful to better gauge Tesla's current decision not to include them.

Please note: this isn't a poll about whether you *want* one, or how strongly you feel about keeping one in the trunk for emergencies. It's specifically about whether yours is getting used.

Reactions: Lindenwood
That sucks. My poll was deleted because this one already exists, but they weren't the same at all.

The poll I created was specifically to gauge how many mobile connectors were going unused, this poll does not accomplish that.

Sorry. I thought it was similar.

Then re post it (in this subforum not model 3). UMC usage isnt a model 3 topic specifically.

The interesting number is that only 11% use public charging as primary charge. I have seen many claims that the majority of ev buyers can't charge at home or work. Either this group is unusual, or that datum is wrong.

Generally I only recommend an ev strongly is you can charge at home or work, but I also see people crowding the urban superchargers.

Wall charger and Supercharger. UMC is a great safety margin for road trips.

No UMC might sell a few more wall chargers since that seems to be what people are using the UMC for.
If you have a wall charger, why do you use a supercharger as part of your primary charging? Obviously everybody uses those on road trips, but I didn't think many people who had home charging used superchargers near home on a frequent basis, unless you have an older car with unlimited free supercharging.

Always a problem.

An interesting poll might be, for those with outstanding orders, because there are supply chain restrictions, if you could get your car [months] sooner without a charger would you accept it?
That would be an interesting poll I bet close to 100% would give up a free charger to get their car sooner. Heck people are ordering higher models and adding FSD just to get them sooner.

Sadly this poll will show nothing because there is no prove that voters even own Tesla.
And another useful post by you. I'd believe the responses garnered by this poll more than Elon's "data".

Always a problem.

An interesting poll might be, for those with outstanding orders, because there are supply chain restrictions, if you could get your car [months] sooner without a charger would you accept it?
There's the correct way to do things and the incorrect way to do things. If there's supply chain issues, just admit it. Stop lying and trying to make it seem like you're helping us out by removing features; passenger lumbar, radar, mobile connectors. Also, either lower the price to make up for the removed features or give the option of including a mobile connector or not.