Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you charge?

How do you mainly charge your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And another useful post by you. I'd believe the responses garnered by this poll more than Elon's "data".

There's the correct way to do things and the incorrect way to do things. If there's supply chain issues, just admit it. Stop lying and trying to make it seem like you're helping us out by removing features; passenger lumbar, radar, mobile connectors. Also, either lower the price to make up for the removed features or give the option of including a mobile connector or not.
Well I mean it's a poll of 130 Tesla owners on a Tesla forum so really not very scientific. Just excluding people that would never join a car forum like say housewives and just normal people who don't care. You've probably cut your pool by 90% and those people probably just install a home charger because that's recommended and why would they be bothered with an ugly cable laying on the ground. Also Tesla-fi and other data apps who really signs up for those? I'm an enthusiast and I could care less. I'm just guessing but I didn't see 2million people vote on our little poll.

Reactions: DrGriz and WhiteWi
That was very clear and to the point. Does this poll provide more data points though then Elon just tweeting, super low usage, waste, going to remove the mobile chargers?
I'm sure someone told him or he just queried the information from the servers. Even our numbers above show 32% which out of 2 million chargers not doing anything is a lot of waste. Don't get me wrong I feel more comfortable having one in the car but if it's not free with my next Tesla I would just keep the one I have instead of having two and doing nothing with either.

Reactions: WhiteWi
In the past, the TMC was actually one of the cheapest 32 amp EVSEs available of any type. You can now find cheap Chinese ones for $230 on eBay with settable current, which a Tesla owner would need to use the $50 adapter that is still bundled with the car with, so it's become a cheaper option. Tesla's has the ability to change plugs which is very useful, but annoyingly the 14-50 which is the most important plug is now $45 extra (it used to come bundled.)

Tesla doesn't offer a TT-30 which is modestly useful but there is an aftermarket one. You can also get EV specific TT-30 to 14-50 adapters but you need to take special care adjusting max current. (Somebody claimed the Tesla auto adjusts when it sees 120v but it does not.)

I'm sure someone told him or he just queried the information from the servers. Even our numbers above show 32% which out of 2 million chargers not doing anything is a lot of waste. Don't get me wrong I feel more comfortable having one in the car but if it's not free with my next Tesla I would just keep the one I have instead of having two and doing nothing with either.
So you think he made this decision for legitimate reasons, not just to pad profits? Same as removing radar and passenger lumbar support?

So you think he made this decision for legitimate reasons, not just to pad profits? Same as removing radar and passenger lumbar support?
I don't actually think he made any of those changes for profit. He could easily just increase the price and no one would complain. I genuinely think he's trying to get the cars out faster and has supply issues. I have the same issues at my work I can't get parts or servers we don't care about the money we can't get projects done. Even Cloud providers are running out of resources and we're hitting limits in cloud datacenters.

I'd be the first to say that Musk is often a terrible communicator, and Twitter is a poor way to share this sort of information, especially for someone who is tone deaf. I am not defending him.

Was he lying? I don't know and I don't have access to his data. I do believe that there are huge supply line issues as @OliverM3 pointed out. Holding off deliveries for months because they don't have chargers for them would be foolish, in my view.

For what it is worth, when I asked, every one of the people who ordered when I did and still don't have their car said they would take it now without the charger rather than wait a few months more. They would get the charger later or take the money or deal with it another way. Not a statistically poll, but interesting.

I trust the data Elon has far more than a subset of owners on an internet poll.
That said, I stopped using the mobile connector years ago.
My electrician noted how repeated plugging and unplugging the mobile connector can lead to scratches and/or loose connections.
I now use the mobile connector strictly for trips, and a wall connector for at home.

I am just fine with the cars not coming with a mobile charger, I can easily order one separately if I want one.

Lets keep this civil folks.

This is a small forum, compared to the number of Tesla drivers out there, but we do tend to be the passionate, well informed sort that talk with other drivers at superchargers and meetups. The next best option would be for Tesla to directly poll existing drivers (pop-up in the nav) and anyone with a deposit down.

I'd be the first to say that Musk is often a terrible communicator, and Twitter is a poor way to share this sort of information, especially for someone who is tone deaf. I am not defending him.

Was he lying? I don't know and I don't have access to his data. I do believe that there are huge supply line issues as @OliverM3 pointed out. Holding off deliveries for months because they don't have chargers for them would be foolish, in my view.

For what it is worth, when I asked, every one of the people who ordered when I did and still don't have their car said they would take it now without the charger rather than wait a few months more. They would get the charger later or take the money or deal with it another way. Not a statistically poll, but interesting.
I understand there's supply chain issues, but if that is truly the case, why would he make it clear that you could purchase one separately? He should have given the option to have one delivered at a later date or simply just say we'll refund you the $250 order fee if you choose not to receive one.

I understand there's supply chain issues, but if that is truly the case, why would he make it clear that you could purchase one separately? He should have given the option to have one delivered at a later date or simply just say we'll refund you the $250 order fee if you choose not to receive one.
100% he should have communicated that better. I am only guessing, but maybe their stats tell them they only need half as many chargers if they don't include them with every car, and they can keep up with that.

Again, a terrible communication.

Reactions: Kairide
I would assume since they're not in every car they would have more to sell on the site.

I trust the data Elon has far more than a subset of owners on an internet poll.
That said, I stopped using the mobile connector years ago.
My electrician noted how repeated plugging and unplugging the mobile connector can lead to scratches and/or loose connections.
I now use the mobile connector strictly for trips, and a wall connector for at home.

I am just fine with the cars not coming with a mobile charger, I can easily order one separately if I want one.
Have you seen the data though? You trust someone who's made it clear that Tesla is about maximizing profit at the expense of it's customers? People who use their mobile connectors typically aren't plugging/unplugging them daily. I've had mine plugged in to a 14-30 for 3 years.

Have you seen the data though? You trust someone who's made it clear that Tesla is about maximizing profit at the expense of it's customers? People who use their mobile connectors typically aren't plugging/unplugging them daily. I've had mine plugged in to a 14-30 for 3 years.
To me it seems like the opposite there are so many things they do that wastes their time and money on customers. Why provide any frequent updates we've already purchased the cars so the profit is already there. They could make us buy the new model if you want more features. Heck I have Matrix headlights that aren't activated yet. I didn't pay any extra for them they're just in the car for when the government finally allows Tesla to utilize them. Games on the car waste of their resources no profit generated there.

To me it seems like the opposite there are so many things they do that wastes their time and money on customers. Why provide any frequent updates we've already purchased the cars so the profit is already there. They could make us buy the new model if you want more features. Heck I have Matrix headlights that aren't activated yet. I didn't pay any extra for them they're just in the car for when the government finally allows Tesla to utilize them. Games on the car waste of their resources no profit generated there.
Most of the updates are trivial, unless you think time was well spent on making your car fart, play noises from the pedestrian speaker and adding games to play in your car.
If they spent engineer hours on improving AP and FSD, now that would be money well spent on their customers. If they brought back a PR department so people knew what news was real or not, that would be money well spent for their customers.
The LED matrix headlights are already useful and a step up from the projector style. The part that isn't utilized yet is the activated matrix portion to control the individual LEDs.

Reactions: E90alex
Most of the updates are trivial, unless you think time was well spent on making your car fart, play noises from the pedestrian speaker and adding games to play in your car.
If they spent engineer hours on improving AP and FSD, now that would be money well spent on their customers. If they brought back a PR department so people knew what news was real or not, that would be money well spent for their customers.
The LED matrix headlights are already useful and a step up from the projector style. The part that isn't utilized yet is the activated matrix portion to control the individual LEDs.
Love how you pretend that same people that work on AP/FSD responsible for fart noises and games updates. Or that spending millions on PR department would have been anything but waste when they do just fine without them.