TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Snowdog, Apr 8, 2016.

?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

This poll will close on Mar 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM.
  1. It's fine, don't change it.

243 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

89 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

There are lot of people posting alternate grill designs. I would like to get a view of how many people really don't like it.

I think it is just something new and distinct. Tesla should stick with it, and eventually it could be as iconic as the Porsche 911 front end. They definitely shouldn't use a fake grill IMO.

• Like x 1
  2. tga

tga Active Member

It's not the lack of a grille that bothers me, is the odd looking, not-aerodynamic-looking-at-all flat area on the front bumper.

If the bumper were rounded off, the lack of a grille wouldn't bother me at all. As it is, it looks like someone ran the car into a wall.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Voted for "it's fine, don't change it" but I won't mind the refinements they are going to make.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  4. nime01

nime01 Member

Weird at first, but I actually think the front end is looking better and better.

• Like x 2
  5. Gr3g

Gr3g New Member

Doesn't look right

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  6. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

The front end needs a little massaging and visual interest. I'm not sure if a "grille" is the right way to do it, but either way it's not a big concern for me.

The biggest objection seems to be the fact that most people are accustomed to cars having big gaping holes in the front of them, so that's what we expect. It would seem there's plenty of opportunity to make a clean break from the past while also designing something beautiful and efficient/aerodynamic.

• Like x 1
  7. eisbock

eisbock Member

No.

Everybody here isn't concerned with the lack of grill, they are concerned that the shape is strange.

All of us expected no grill or very minimal grill (a la Model X) and that is what we got, but we also got a weird misshapen potato shape out of it. People aren't happy about that.

• Like x 2
  8. BBryson

BBryson Member

I really need to see it in person.
    The nose really stands out at the reveal when the cars are on stage, but that's not a normal angle. I don't think I have a clear idea of what it looks like in person.
    However, I'm not cancelling my reservation, or my purchase based on what the nose looks like.

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

The nose looks better from some angles than it does from some others. I'm fine with the way it currently looks, but I'm not opposed to some tweaking to smooth out some of the bluntness... as long as this redesign doesn't negativity impact aerodynamics or the production schedule. But absolutely no grill!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. n00bie

n00bie Member

Doesn't look right at first obviously from lens distortion and weird angles. The more I see it, I like it better and better. It looks fine the way it is, but wouldn't mind some minor tweaking.

11. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

No issues with or without because the overall design is AWESOME.

• Like x 1
  12. oldpueblo

oldpueblo New Member

• Funny x 2
  13. Magzzy

Magzzy Member

The more pics I see of it the more I like it now. Not that I hated it in the first place.

• Like x 1
  14. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

Feel the exact same way, but I voted the second option. The rounded off options just look slightly better to me. I'm happy either way, though.

15. MattUK

MattUK New Member

It's grown on me. We need a front number (license) plate in the UK so I'd like to see it with one on.

• Love x 1
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I'm fine with it.
    If it is changed, I won't be upset, unless it has a fake "grill" which only has the purpose of increasing drag.

17. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Poorly structured survey. People don't necessarily want a grill, they just don't want a front nose that looks like it can off a traditional EV (aka. Weird mobile)

18. CyberKnife

CyberKnife Member

I actually started liking it as is from the reveal, so my vote is to leave it as is. I looked at several grill ideas here and then looking at the pictures/videos showing the 3 in the wild and I am questioning why does it have to have something unnecessary on the front bumper? Its simple, aggressive, streamlined that looks really attractive. One added bonus is that license plate will fit nicely in front for me.

19. flashflooder

flashflooder New Member

I think it looks great. I really hope they don't get swayed by the vocal minority on this one.

20. AdrianEdson

AdrianEdson Member

I picked the "it's fine" option but I think it's MORE than fine. I love it. I took me about 5 minutes looking at it to feel comfortable with it.... But then it looked just right. I think that's a sign of how progressive it is that it feels odd initially, because it jumps to a new place.

I think it's really modern and forward thinking. I think once these cars get on the road people are going to really fall in love with them from an aesthetic point of view.

That's how I feel anyway!

• Love x 1