Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

• It's fine, don't change it.

Votes: 243 70.4%
  • It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

Votes: 89 25.8%
  • It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very difficult to access the 3D sculpture of the nose in separate still photos. When the car is in motion the nose looks OK, although a bit plain. If the shape is in fact the honest, best case pure science/engineering design for aerodynamics, then so be it. I can learn to love it.

The flat nose is polarizing and draws attention to itself; it should harmonize with the whole:
TeslaM3.jpg
draws

If I wanted a Boxster, I'd buy a Boxster. Leave it alone. It looks great.

I'm sure the engineers at Tesla have access to a damn wind tunnel. They certainly have access to a computer with CFD software. Anyone who says the front is not aerodynamic needs to show me a fluid model that proves it before I'll believe you over the highly paid designers who are highly paid to do this. My ASSumption is that the front creates some sort of an aero split that helps with downforce.
To convince me that the front isn't the best aerodynamic choice, you'd have to show me a fluid model of your alternative *with a front license plate on* and compare it with the Tesla Model 3 with a front plate on.

Frankly I think the flat section is not much larger than the space needed for the front license plate (remembering that US and Euro plates are different shapes -- and the Hong Kong plate is yet another shape). The car starts curving immediately past license-plate-width on both sides, and below for the air scoop, and above (which is admittedly a pretty sharp curve).

If you are in a rare location which doesn't require front number plates, feel free to attach a decal.

Chris L's render looks great from that angle, and I don't have a problem with Porsche-ish feel. His and Ander's renders show the benefit of a more integrated front/rear look. If the aerodynamics are so delicate that even a tweak or two affects it, what is going to happen when the license plate is attached?

Reactions: boiler81
I really like the front end. Particularly how they separated the front trunk and the bumper. I think trying to fit the leading edge of the front trunk of the S and X with the nosecone/bumper lead to the weakest styling elements of both of those otherwise stunning looking vehicles. I'd buy a model 3 style front bumper for my S if something was available from Tesla. Hopefully the final design tweaks will be similar to the final front design tweaks that both the S and X went through -- subtle but effective improvements that refined the look of the car.

Chris L's render looks great from that angle, and I don't have a problem with Porsche-ish feel. His and Ander's renders show the benefit of a more integrated front/rear look. If the aerodynamics are so delicate that even a tweak or two affects it, what is going to happen when the license plate is attached?

As I understood it, Tesla is still tweaking the front end, and I seem to remember Elon stating something along these lines, but don't quote me. You know they are trying to get the Cd down to .21, so it seems evident they are not there yet.

I just feel the original design is to sharp, the lines don't seem to line up. There are lots of shapes that have .21 Cd, and they aren't flat angled planes.

I like the front end. I also don't understand the complaints about it being flat. Look at the front of a new Mazda, or the front of an Aston Martin. It just doesn't have a grill breaking up the surface.

My guess is they'll pull in a treatment similar to what they did with the Model X. I'm digging what they got now, and I bet the refinements will be pretty sweet too.

I have to agree, the front license plate requirement many states/countries is what I thought of right away. If you look up sports cars with front license plates, many look terrible with a really pointy fronts broken up by a big rectangle. It seems they may have designed for it which is nice.