Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How do you feel about Grill-less front end styling?

How do you feel about current Model 3 Front Grill?

• It's fine, don't change it.

Votes: 243 70.4%
  • It's tolerable (I would still buy), but prefer change

Votes: 89 25.8%
  • It's intolerable, if it doesn't change, I would not buy a Model 3

Votes: 13 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same opinion, Tesla cars have their own design, and after the Roadster and Model S there's the new nose design, more designed for a smooth airflow and addressing the electric power train. The rendering from above is very close to the design language of Porsche, they have their own unique lines, so it's good to seperate from that.
Anyway the Model 3 has some analogies to Porsche due to the frunk seam and prominent front fenders. So in a word, I like it very much.

Just make the lower grille larger and maybe move the badge to the bumper.

Tesla-Logo-Model-3-Red-Nose.jpg

subaru-brz-sti-performance-concept-front-end.jpg

You can dislike how the front end looks, but really no one here is likely qualified to determine that it isn't aerodynamic just by looking at it. It almost certain that everyones Photoshop "improvements" would likely make it worse.

love how you lecture on the unqualified positions that all who are commenting on the aerodynamics of changes and then turn around and give your own statement about the changes making it worse.... are you an aeronautical engineer?

love how you lecture on the unqualified positions that all who are commenting on the aerodynamics of changes and then turn around and give your own statement about the changes making it worse.... are you an aeronautical engineer?

It's a reasonable assumption that Tesla is already doing it's best for aerodynamics, and that people futzing around in Photoshop with no access to a wind tunnel are only going to make it worse.

Reactions: mblakele and Topher
Surprising then how all the other car companies who do have wind tunnels and massive compute CFD power don't all put blunt noses on their cars.
I'm sorry, you obviously didn't get the memo that all critical posts in this thread must include scanned copies of the poster's degrees and transcript, showing completion of a course of study in aerodynamic engineering, at the masters level or higher, with a GPA of 3.7 or higher.

Surprising then how all the other car companies who do have wind tunnels and massive compute CFD power don't all put blunt noses on their cars.

Since none of those companies produce vehicles with even close to a cd of .21 is that really surprising? Not really a great example. Let's be real here, with the S and X Tesla has proven they do aero better than most, do you really think they'll drop the ball with the 3, where aero is even more important?

Quite a few comments saying it's grown on me...I think it's human nature for people to feel more positive about something they really want as time goes on. Doesn't mean they truly like it.

It is human nature to not like change and to actual fear change.

When companies bring out a substantially new prototype, especially years ahead of debut, it is in part to acclimate people to change.

Given the reveal of the new Model S front end, I think it is obvious that the shape is here to stay.

The only question is if the Model 3 stays naked or gets the Model S badging. I think it will end up the front end badging for brand consistency. I am fine with it either way.

2016-tesla-model-s_100552007_l.jpg

With an ICE car it would make almost no difference. First, you need a big drag inducing grill to get rid of all the excess heat from the extremely inefficient gas engine and since the gas engine is so inefficient gains in mileage are mostly about tweaks to the engine rather than optimizing for aerodynamics.

Do you really believe that Tesla decided on a front end that would reduce the cars range because somebody thought it would look neat? I would say the odds of that are very small indeed.