Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many pre-face lift S owners experienced Sudden Loss of Range?

Did your pre-facelift S experience Sudden Loss of Range?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can draw from a prior thread: Sudden Loss of Range with 2019.16.X Software, there appears to be limited group of current and prior Model S (60, 70, 75, & 85 packs) that are in process of relief after experiencing a sudden loss of range after a mid-2019 software update. I'm curious to know of all owners included and not included in the class action settlement if they've experienced a restoration of range and cell Vmax to levels before 2019.16.X. I don't believe I'm in the class my range was suddenly reduced by 4.6% immediately after 2019.16.X and has seemingly never been restored. Currently my 2013 S 85 has 8% less range than it did back in June 2019, but the car also has 25K more miles than it did back then. According to the prior thread, Tesla was suppose to restore range of those that were capped starting back in March 2020. I suppose a CANBUS reader to measure cell Vmax would be extremely useful, but I thought I'd check here to see what situation others are having. Vote results will be public.

Feel free to chime in if you're experience something close to what I am and are not one of the 1,743 cars included in the class action settlement, or have information you'd like to share.

Lithium-ion batteries are managed units in pack config. As such they use balancing and gas gauges to log and closed loop feedback current battery cell/module/pack status. As a battery cycles, you suffer permanent capacity loss after about the first 10-20 cycles on the battery. Voltage Attenuation tables are used to limit top end charge voltage to avoid generation gas and swelling batteries to Battery Thermal Event occurs. Please just google Voltage attenuation tables in google and look at the images for a 12V battery. Now think of 4 modules in a XsYp configuration of 6500+ cells and modules and sub modules. Then the battery has active thermal management. The complete algorithms used in your laptop are infinitely more complex in an EV of that QTY of cells. I'm happy to see SW updates to regulate that and for the lucky few with restored top end voltage and by proxy range, great for you.