Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many Tesla owners are also Apple users?

Do you use Apple products?

• Yes, I use Apple products

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • No, I do not use Apple products

Votes: 40 25.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leilani, you're a race car driver, so it's understandable--I forgive you. But this is not something you want to get started ;). While you were out there racing, hundreds of thousands of nerds were congregating on the interwebs and fighting an imaginary Mac vs. PC war :scared:. There were many casualties...
Were? I don't think it's over.

I just got the 928, and indeed the Nokia Lumia product line Rocks. also using W8 on a 6 or so year old Dell laptop, way better than XP or Windows 7.

Nice! was just at //build and saw the 925, 928. I preferred the 928 [925 had aluminum edges that were slippery - I dropped it the first time I picked it up] but am on ATT or I would switch in an instant from the 920.

i'll wait for the EOS and see what happens..

cheers!

chris

you forgot to include an option for someone who only uses one ECO system.

Just the other day I reformatted my last PC for recycling. One ECO system is just easier.

Ecosystem poll would be better. That data would be very interesting. We are one ecosystem, but with the new Apple streaming music option we might get a mini. But only if it is better at viewing TMC :)

Have iPhones and iPads, a few Apple TVs, but the Mac Book air and Mini are both gathering dust, could never get used to OSX after 20+ years of Windows. Plus, I only got the Mini to run iTunes for all the Apple TVs, figuring it would all work better together, but it didn't, and the PC it was replaced with a few weeks ago is doing a much better job.

I answered yes, but not for long. I was a big Windows Mobile guy until they dropped the platform and I reluctantly got an iPhone. Had one Macbook and that was enough for me. I really like the new Windows Phone, but just don't see the apps I need yet. Will probably get a Galaxy 4 soon. I did just get a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet running Windows 8 and quite like it.

Apple has its flaws. The draconian control they place over 3rd party software on their devices is appalling.
That and the fact that they were AT&T only with no tethering for so long meant I never wanted an iPhone.
I think it is funny that people hate on Microsoft for being a big evil corporation, but if Apple had achieved dominant market share with its current dictatorial policies - I think the stifling effect on the industry would have been far worse than anything Microsoft ever did.

On the computer side, mac software development tools are insufficient for what I do, so I've never considered them.

Best commercial MS has ever produced.

WARNING: OPINION PIECE TO FOLLOW. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.

I am an Android/Windows guy and will probably never use an Apple product. The reasons I hate Apple aren't due to mere brand loyalty. I think Apple makes some genuinely great products. My problems with Apple are philosophical in nature. I don't like how they advertise (The "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials were borderline slanderous). I don't like how they game the US patent system and use it to sue their competitors. And I don't like their control-issues (Rampant DRM, proprietary versions of otherwise widely-available components, planned obsolescence between generations of products)

Perhaps most notably, as an antitheist I see too many cult parallels in the company's followers: Reverence for a charismatic leader (now deceased), revisionist history (Nothing exists until Apple develops it), dogmatic repetition of fallacies and falsehoods (Macs never crash, EVAR!), irrational behavior (Honestly, who lines up for a product release in the 21st century?), inability to be objective (Apple products never have problems and must be perfect. If there's a problem with one, you're just doing it wrong!)

Now, the objective side of me sees a lot of cult-ish parallels with Tesla too: Charismatic leader, devoted followers evangelizing anyone in earshot, tight-knit insider community. However, I justify this to myself by my belief that Elon Musk truly wants to better the world. He has a stated goal and I share it. Apple's stated goal as a company is to make money (something they're exceedingly good at, BTW). I can freely criticize Tesla when it does something I don't agree with (like jacking up prices without announcing it is doing so). Many people will not criticize Apple for any reason. I keep telling myself that as long as criticism and discussion are welcomed I'm not in a cult. But my cult-detecting goggles are on, Elon. And I'm watching you. :wink:

I don't expect everyone (or even anyone) to understand or agree with my position on Apple. Some of my friends have philosophical problems with eating meat. I don't understand them and eat meat every day. Others have problems with Walmart and refuse to shop there. I don't understand them and do it all the time. That's why it's important for people to be different (something I don't feel when everyone around me is using Apple products).

When I got to my first flying squadron in the early 80's there was 1 computer. The Squadron commanders secretary was the only person who knew how to make it work. It was almost like some secret woman behind the curtain thing. Then a guy in the squadron showed me one of the first commercially available MACs. It was better. I could use it immediately. I went to the base exchange and bought whatever one they had. I've been Apple ever since. Not a fanboy, and wont argue (never have)about it. They hooked me and I stayed hooked. Everything I have is Apple and always has been.

Last edited:
wow, that's pretty intense. why?

They have ELUA's that are impossible to follow and grant Apple the rights to your data in ways that would make the NSA blush, Dictatorial control over app development, terrible labor conditions in their factories, and completely refuse to acknowledge that computer security is an issue, or that their machines actually are susceptible to virus infections. They do design very nice looking hardware, but I do not agree with their business practices, or they way that they treat their employees or customers, so therefor, I choose not to allow their products in my home. I am sure allot of people here say the same thing about products that are "not green".

I am all over the place with my home infrastructure:

2 Mac Book Airs (2nd and 3rd Gen)
1 Mac Mini (running OSX Server and Multiple Linux VMs)
1 Mac Book Pro (2nd Gen)
1 iPhone 4S
1 Samsung Galaxy SIII
1 Samsung Galaxy S IV
1 iPad (2nd Gen)
1 Nexus 7
Multiple iPods of various generations
3 Win7 Ultimate Laptops (HP, Acer, Samsung)

I have managed to get them all working together in harmony on a multi-layered and secured network

I use iPhones and iPads, but my business run on Windows and so that's the platform I need to use for computing.

I have a Mac Air but I run Windows 7 on it. Best Windows notebook I've ever owned! :love::confused::biggrin:

--

That said, putting my Moderator's hat on... this thread isn't really about Tesla Motors so I have moved it to the Off Topic thread. I did leave a permanent pointer to it in the Tesla Motors section though.

I only use one Apple product: an iPhone that I acquired a couple months ago. My home computer is a Windows 7 machine from Dell.

They have ELUA's that are impossible to follow and grant Apple the rights to your data in ways that would make the NSA blush, Dictatorial control over app development, terrible labor conditions in their factories, and completely refuse to acknowledge that computer security is an issue, or that their machines actually are susceptible to virus infections. They do design very nice looking hardware, but I do not agree with their business practices, or they way that they treat their employees or customers, so therefor, I choose not to allow their products in my home. I am sure allot of people here say the same thing about products that are "not green".

To be fair though, everyone from Microsoft to Facebook has TOS and EULA that are long and difficult to understand.

Dictatorial control over the App Store and ecosystem in general helps control malware outbreaks.

I agree that conditions at factories that build Apple products have been horrible, but I don't think that any electronics maker can claim immunity from this. Most smart phones and consumer PCs are assembled in China. Many system manufacturers like Dell use the same contractor: the Taiwanese mega company Hon Hai Industries, dba FoxConn, to build their products. I'm not sure that buying something made in China from Dell or HTC or Samsung is any more ethical from a labor standpoint than buying an Apple product. The whole economic system is tainted as far as I can tell.

I guess I could build my own Linux computer, but again, most of the hardware is assembled in China.

I believe that Robotics will make assembly costs negligible and bring a lot of electronics final assembly back to the US, but until that happens labor abuses overseas will persist.

...I use Windows systems at work because I have to, and Apple products personally and at home because I want to....

Exactly.

The only non-Apple PC hardware I have ever personally purchased was for a special-purpose video recorder years ago.

I value the tight integration that Apple is able to create between their hardware and software, and the ecosystem integration between their various devices.

I have declared my household an Apple free zone, nobody is allowed to use any thing made by Apple under my roof.

Funny. My brother-in-law is the same way but that's because he works for MicroSoft. Everything in their house must be MS. His kids told me they are not allowed to Google anything (by which they meant they must Bing instead). They bought their kids Zunes and Kins. I feel sorry for those kids!