Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many years are Tesla ahead of the pack?

How many years are Tesla ahead of the pack?

• Nada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 4-6 years

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • 6-9 years

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • 10+ years

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted 10+. I agree with @Hytra that it will be easier to match today due to the advances over the last 8 years.

However, with the current gap at 8 years and growing (MHO), I've yet to see evidence of comprehensive matching of Tesla technology, so the gap is still unknown and growing. And with as many announcements about catching up in 3-7 years, and having heard those annually for about the last 5+ years, I conclude that we don't know the size of the gap because it's still growing with no meaningful line of sight to when it'll stop growing.

So we might see Model S circa 2012/3 range being matched soon, but that leaves out the charging network, the OTA updates.

I like to tell people about the very first (or nearly first) OTA update to the original cars. The original original Model S shipped without a creep mode. People coming to Model S from automatic transmissions found that function really helpful - especially in stop and go rush hour traffic.

So in that first OTA update, Model S 'learned' creep mode. New button in the interface - Creep Mode off/on.

It's one of the more minor improvements ever, and yet I find that most everybody can relate to that as a 'feature', and that helps them get the idea of the car getting new features after delivery.

Any idea when anybody else can match that? VW's behavior seems to indicate that's harder than it looks :)

Reactions: Hytra
I voted 6-9 years, but I will add this vote refers to the OEMs I know (in the West).

I have no idea how far along the Chinese BEV competitors are, but I hear the BEV market over there is larger with more manufacturers. I don't know of any of those having a Neural Net dedicated to FSD (with in house NN-chip), worldwide supercharging network, battery gigafactories or access to Space-related hardware, but hey, I could be surprised.