Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How much would you pay for factory dash cam(s) option?

If Tesla offered a built-in 2 to 8 "dash" camera option, what would you pay?

• $300

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • $500

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • $1,000

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • $1,500

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • $2,000 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 4k action camera with loop recording is $35. A decent dash cam with GPS and software to track drives on the map is $100. A good 2 channel system $250. As far as I understand, Tesla's AP cameras are monochrome. Not being able to tell the color of a car and their low resolution make them less than ideal.

5 Volt power where the dash cams need to be (front back and sides) would be enough. That would take the complication and cost out of the installation. It can be dangerous having to put a wire into the a-pillar or other places where airbags are placed. Dash cams also get better almost every year. I want to be able to upgrade them without having to buy a new car. JMHO

David 99

Yes, with 4k camera's at $35 retail, this is a great high margin opportunity for Tesla and a high value option to buyers. With installation costs for two channels running $400 to $800, the installation risks you mentioned plus the cost of the BlackVue, a Tesla option is a no-brainer.

5 Volt power at appropriate locations would also be a nice alternative although not as elegant or as impactful on the corporate profit margins. As far as upgradability, 4k will probably be sufficient for all but the most discriminating videographers.

David 99

Yes, with 4k camera's at $35 retail, this is a great high margin opportunity for Tesla and a high value option to buyers. With installation costs for two channels running $400 to $800, the installation risks you mentioned plus the cost of the BlackVue, a Tesla option is a no-brainer.

5 Volt power at appropriate locations would also be a nice alternative although not as elegant or as impactful on the corporate profit margins. As far as upgradability, 4k will probably be sufficient for all but the most discriminating videographers.

Agreed. Tesla could make a good profit offering it as an option. As for 4k being all we need. I kind of agree, but there are many other improvements made and features added over the years that would make an upgrade worthwhile.

It would really depend on the quality and integration. If it is low res monochrome, then it would be a nice to have that I will not want to pay extra for. If it is 4K with same features as top of the line dash cams then it would be worth some money to some folks.

I vote $0.... and that's not the same as "not interested."

Installing an after market dash cam is pretty easy if you know what you're doing and should never require "tearing up" anything.

I'd rather leave the dashcam software to the dashcam makers and not Tesla. If after 7 years Tesla can't get a basic media player working, I can't imagine the cluster-muck they'd make of dashcam software.

Ummm. Why do people install dash cams in the first place? I get dropping money on a high end stereo or a radar detector. But what is the appeal of a dash cam?

so when you do get into an accident and the other party says the light was yellow and not red, or that it was you that veered off into the lane, you can basically have your attorney flick them off and slam them with full liability and no negotiation on settlement.

Otherwise it goes down to who is telling the truth, which ultimately turns into split liability, and negotiation of settlement.

I would also pay 500 for front and rear camera... 1000 for all 7 cameras.
And it would be awesome if we can use the usb port to connect a flash / solid state drive for it to record.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Keep in mind that in Europe the regulations concerning dash cams are very different. The police in The Netherlands often asks for dash cam movies to reconstruct accidents etc while in Austria, Germany and Luxembourg penalties for having a dashcam can go up to 20.000 USD! In a lot of countries potentially recording people without their consent is more important than knowing the real story during accidents or cars being damaged while parked.