Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How often do you use AutoPilot?

How often do you use autopilot?

• Never (except to try it out)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Daily

Votes: 209 78.0%
  • Once in a while

Votes: 35 13.1%
  • Only on trips

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in lower Alabama near Dothan and mapping all I can! I do feel that it learns somewhat as there is a tight (ish) curve with a guardrail on my daily drive to work and the first couple tries on AP I felt the car came too close and I took over control. It now navigates the curve just fine.
Off topic a quick second, my family is in Colquitt, GA. The closest mall is in Dothan, about an hour's drive... And it's in a different time zone. I used to love that we arrive the same time we left, but it would take us twice as long to get home!

Off topic a quick second, my family is in Colquitt, GA. The closest mall is in Dothan, about an hour's drive... And it's in a different time zone. I used to love that we arrive the same time we left, but it would take us twice as long to get home!
That's nothing. I'm flying to Australia next month. It's going to take 2 days to get there, but I get home about 2 hours before the plane took off!

That's nothing. I'm flying to Australia next month. It's going to take 2 days to get there, but I get home about 2 hours before the plane took off!

Fun physics fact: While from your frame of reference it will appear that you are following the Sun on your flight back, from the frame of reference of someone in orbit between the Earth and the Sun it will appear like your plane is simply standing still in mid-air while the Earth rotates underneath it.

I am not able to genuinely understand why there are some vocal complainers - only a handful though - less than 1 or 2%, but still can't understand what makes them complain so much. It is not like there is anything even remotely out there to compare and get upset about.

It is like when the first iPhone came, there were some folks incessantly complaining about less than perfect maps, as if their favorite Sanyo flip phone had great maps !!

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and 335eye
Those of you who have it, was that your initial experience? And then with more use, were you are able to relax? If so, how long did that process take? Or, do you find that you don't use it at all after testing it out, or do you only use it for long trips?

It took me many, many trips trying Autopilot before I became accustomed to it and felt comfortable with it on. Probably a good month or two. For me, I needed to see it in action and learn what it was capable of and what it's not before that comfort developed.

Now, I've developed an intuition for when it will struggle and take more active control in anticipation of those situations. I find also that I prefer to continue "steering" the whole time, sort of a hand-over-hand teaching technique, like guiding a child's hands when learning how to cut with a knife. In doing so, when it struggles I'm already counter steering or breaking free and disengaging Autopilot before it strays any. It also forces me to maintain awareness at all times, like I was driving, but yet I find that I arrive at destinations still far less fatigued than if I was doing the driving all by myself.