TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: How often should autopilot alert us to hold the wheel?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by diplomat33, Jul 18, 2018.

?

How often should autopilot "nag" you?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2018.
  1. More frequent than now

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. The current amount is about right

18 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. A bit less nags than now

44 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Some nags but very rare

35 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Get rid of the nags completely

26 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I know there has been a lot of debate about the increase in the frequency of autopilot nags to hold the wheel. I was wondering what people think would be the right amount so I created this fun poll. Vote on how often autopilot should "nag" based on the current state of autopilot.

The poll will close after 4 days.

2. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

How about context dependent nags? E.g. whenever the software feels less confident or based on some GPS-aware algorithm that calculates risk based on density of traffic, position of adjacent cars, upcoming curves in the road, etc.,

• Like x 8
    • Love x 2
  3. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I like this idea a lot. And it makes a lot of sense too. AP should nag less in easy situations where the driver does not need to pay attention as much but nag us more if there is more of a need for the driver to pay attention. Of course, writing the algorithm to determine this would be the tricky part. But very cool idea!

• Like x 1
  4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

With the Model 3 they should get rid of it completely.

They should replace it with a neural network that measures engagement. They might be able to do that with the interior facing camera.

• Disagree x 1
  5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Caddy super cruise already does that- and that's certainly the most popular speculated future use for the interior cam

• Like x 1
  6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Most popular, but least likely -> To measure driver engagement
    Most likely with some popularity -> To support car sharing, and checking in on the dogs/kids.
    Most feared -> Tesla will use it to show what a customer was doing right before a crash. Where Tesla uses it to shame drivers.

• Like x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Since there are so many idiots and folks that try to defeat the system, the rest of us have to live with the idiots and get punished because of them. Just today I believe someone posted a picture of their husband asleep at the wheel.
    And there are still so many idiots posting videos of how the autopilot doesn't work.

If the idiots would start following the directions, then the nags could get longer, or disappear. Tesla is only doing it for liability reasons. It's not a "just because they want to" thing.
    And honestly it's thread like this that contribute to the problem. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT WE WANT!!!

And I really don't want Tesla to spend ANY time coming up with alternative or solutions for the nag. I want all of the resources pushed toward FSD.

• Like x 2
  8. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I would say, no cars around, no nags, heavy traffic, current nags

• Like x 1
  9. JADCa

JADCa Member

Hold the wheel correctly and it never nags at all. Hard to be less frequent than that.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 3
  10. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

During traffic, I feel that AP nags me less than if I were driving 80+.

• Informative x 1
  11. gambit48

gambit48 Member

That's what I thought too. I'm quite positive that 21.X software my car came with, it nagged every 20-30 seconds at highway speeds. When it slowed down to stop and go traffic, minutes could go by between nags. I haven't tried AP yet with the new 24.8 software I just got yet.

• Informative x 1
  12. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

According to the Tesla rep on my Model S test drive today, slower speeds = fewer nags.

13. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Yes and no. Yes, if you hold the wheel a certain way, you won't get nags. However, I doubt a person will always hold the wheel that way perfectly and consistently for an entire trip. People do tend to shift their hands a bit. I know that I frequently change my hand positions on the wheel as I drive.

• Like x 1
  14. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I seem to naturally hold the wheel in a way that doesn't trigger nags. And I switch hands and positions often.

That said, I hate that I have to hold the wheel. I'd much prefer eye tracking for engagement. It's my awareness of the environment, not the position of my hands that matters. I remember watching a video on Super Cruise, and it was able to see the driver's eye position even thru dark sunglasses.

• Love x 1
  15. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yes, my understanding is they use an active IR based sensor system. Two emitters at the top of the steering wheel and the camera mounted on top of the steering wheel column. Most sunglasses are near transparent for that wavelength so don't interfere. It's probably Supercruise's biggest strength and I would like to see Tesla able to switch to a system like that (could be patent issues, though).

16. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Lordy. It’s NOTHING to do with where you put your hands on the wheel. You can change hand position at will at any time.
    Follow the instructions and it doesn’t nag at all. It only nags if it can’t detect resistance to its movement, simple as that no special grip required.
    The only reason the nags are there is the sad fact that the driving population can’t be trusted to take responsibility for their own actions and must instead be nannied for their own safety.
    No better example than the endless posts, videos and articles about how “autopilot caused xxxx” - it just proves that the number of folks who will use the system as intended is a tiny minority.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. ybbor

ybbor Member

My problem is that I drive with a very light touch on the wheel; taught that from flying. So I keep both hands on the wheel at all times and still get the nag every 30 seconds. Forces me to actively anti-steer the car. They need actual hand sensors and not the torque sensor, because it does not work in the Model 3's I've driven (3 of them from turo)

• Like x 2
  18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

In stop and go traffic it doesn't nag me at all. Especially if the road is straight.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

My thoughts exactly. I hadn't driven my wife's AP1 Model X for a while and hadn't used the AP since the updated nag settings and found it very annoying. I keep my hand on the wheel and decent pressure on it at all times (like a good little boy), but still found myself getting nagged frequently.

It is almost MORE distracting now because I have to actively remember to look at the dash display to see if there is a "hold the wheel" notice on there or I get the startling flashing/beeping. When I drive I"m looking at the road and don't notice those subtle alerts on the dash display.

Also, I really really wish the car took into account other active drive input into resetting the nag alerts...if you change lanes with the turn stalk, depress the accelerator a little to coast down hill, etc.

• Like x 1
  20. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

This.

Somebody runs into a firetruck and everyone shouts: Keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention!!!

In the next thread: I'm annoyed that the car wants me to keep my hands on the wheel, how can I get around this?

:confused:o_O:confused:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1