Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it'll make me consider CPO's, so technically yes?
It would a massive win for Tesla owners who already got the $7500 tax credit.

Like me. :)

I should add that I'm against the GOP tax plan. The tax credit removal I'm against (people made plans based on it), but it's small potatoes against everything else I'm against in it. I fail to see how it helps us normal folks.

Last edited:
If they kill it, I'll be so ticked off that they're twisting the rules mid-game against one of the most innovative companies in the US since Henry Ford's namesake enterprise, that I'll have half a mind to run for some kind of office. And that's a seriously bad idea ;)
I wouldn't call it midgame.

It's more like the late 4th quarter for Tesla.

It's not even the first quarter for other companies that have largely stayed on the sidelines. So the question is it unfair for them by ending prematurely?

For Tesla it helped enable them (with a partnership with Panasonic) to develop the gigafactory. Thereby drastically reducing the cost of the battery. The only way it really hurts Tesla in the long term is if they were expecting to build batteries for other manufactures, but I don't believe they were.

The current backlog Model 3's is so massive that even if a few people dropped out due to the tax credit removal it wouldn't impact sales/deliveries.

You should also include undecided. I don’t need the M3. Id like to have one because I believe in Tesla and their commitment to the environment. They also make cool cars and have the charging infrastructure in place. The M3 will be a retirement gift to myself but I’m not precluding othe EV’s that will be available soon like the Volvo XC40, the extended range Leaf, and whatever else may come down the road. I’m also considering a CPO Model S with AP2.0.

I thought I had high enough taxes to benefit from the credit. But I didn't get to use all of it to reduce my taxes. Having driven the car for 16 months it confirmed what I knew and felt on the test drive: the credit would be a bonus. I will buy another (with or without the credit) because I will ultimately save on gas, filters, time lost to service, brake wear, etc. Plus there is nothing else (in my mind, YMMV) like the exhilaration I feel from driving this beast. Sixteen months; 59500 miles!
Don't give up the car just because of the loss of tax credit. Really dig to find out if you can apply all of it anyway and sharpen your pencil and see what you will save with all electric. JMHO

I'll still buy - but without the Autopilot I had planned on. If it turns out later that AP is a "must have" for me then I'll get later even though it will be $1k more. And if a fully functional & reliable AP gets delayed too much, then I'll skip it completely and avoid taking depreciation on a $5k feature that I may get little use out of.

This is a discretionary purchase. Without the threat of losing the Federal tax credit, there is no longer any urgency to immediately buy the specific configuration that Tesla has chosen to build first.

Indeed, there is no urgency to buy any Tesla right away, in this case.

So, I will cancel my reservation and wait until I can test drive different configs, order the one I like, and take delivery in a reasonable time period. If, in fact, I even still want a Tesla at that point. We'll see.