Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a discretionary purchase. Without the threat of losing the Federal tax credit, there is no longer any urgency to immediately buy the specific configuration that Tesla has chosen to build first.

Indeed, there is no urgency to buy any Tesla right away, in this case.

So, I will cancel my reservation and wait until I can test drive different configs, order the one I like, and take delivery in a reasonable time period. If, in fact, I even still want a Tesla at that point. We'll see.

^ this

Reactions: suwaneedad
Yes, I will still buy. I oppose the whole idea of tax credits, as I argued in this thread: GOP tax reform bill would end the $7500 EV tax credit .

Your opposition to the whole idea of tax credits is of no interest to me. No, i will not buy with the tax credit being eliminated. Not because I can't afford the car (i could easily pay cash for a fully loaded model 3) but rather with the tax credit, the car is in my opinion fairly priced for the options I desire. Without it, I have no interest at that price point.

Your opposition to the whole idea of tax credits is of no interest to me. No, i will not buy with the tax credit being eliminated. Not because I can't afford the car (i could easily pay cash for a fully loaded model 3) but rather with the tax credit, the car is in my opinion fairly priced for the options I desire. Without it, I have no interest at that price point.
I'm with you here. The tax credit is essentially a subsidy to Tesla, IMO, since it is enabling Tesla to sell loaded (i.e., high profit margin) M3s first, and then once the subsidies expire, the lower price $35k's will hit the market. I'm a Day One rez holder and view the $7500 tax credit as funding my PUP+wheels+non-black paint...to the dollar I believe. The lack of the tax credit has me considering two paths: delaying purchase of M3 since there's no longer an incentive to buy one soon; and abandoning M3 in favor of using those dollars to instead purchase a used S (which by the way I can have immediately which is also nice).

Reactions: DR61
There is another poll needed .. to see how many people will change the order from LR to SR if the federal tax credit disappears.

I am one of those. When i booked this car on 03/31/16, I had never intended to spend $56K for a car without the AP. Adding the AP makes this a $61.5K car.

This is inclusive of 9% sales tax.

And really, I'd like to wait for a moonroof option to become available. Haven't had a car without a moonroof in 15 years. The weather right now in FL is perfect for riding with windows down and the moonroof open. Worth waiting for me.

It does not matter to Tesla or to EV penetration if you don't buy the car. Someone else will. For the next year, or maybe two, every Model 3 Tesla can build will be sold long before it rolls off the assembly line. The tax credit does not help Tesla because they will sell every Model 3 they can build anyway.

In a year or two, when production has ramped up and early demand has been met, that's when a tax credit might increase sales. Not now.

I don't support the tax plan in any way. However, if it does pass my taxes should drop by around $5k per year, so I'll use that money to make up for the loss of the tax credit. (I live in a low tax state with a small mortgage and never itemize so I'm in a sweet spot for the proposal.)

I never counted on the federal tax credit. Why should someone who is paying taxes but barely getting by have to help me to by a car? The Model 3 is a car in my price range, it is the right size, performance is great and by the way, is a great looking car!! The fact that Tesla is helping the planet is just a plus, not the main reason that I am buying the car. The upcoming Kia Stinger and Alfa Romero Giulia would be my choices if the Model 3 does not happen.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I don't make enough to take advantage of it much anyway. It would have been used to offset taxes on stock gains, but that ain't happening right now either. I'll wait patiently for everything to get debugged and TSLA to go a lot higher. By then I might even consider a model Y since I really have grown accustomed to a hatchback. I now have a legitimate business need for more cargo space. Also, no heated steering wheel? Come on man.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I think this poll misses the mark. I think the more important question is how many people will now delay months or even a year.The RWD LR $50,000 version being produced now probably wouldn’t have been the package most people would have chosen. Those on a budget would pick less options and those not on a budget probably want AWD.

I will definitely delay even though my original intent was to buy the $50,000 version in the Oct-Dec 17 group. I also will keep my deposit with Tesla so I can jump the line when I am ready to buy, probably a year or so from now.

I’m disappointed but I think this is good news for Tesla. They have such a backlog that it won’t matter to early sales. All of the companies not named GM or Tesla are the ones that will really be adversely impacted.

Last edited:
Reactions: OutofPocket
I wish Congress would give us more notice on these changes...

Not sure if you want Congress to tell you what it's going to do before its members have come to an agreement, or if you want them to make the changes become effective at some later date. The former would be impossible; the latter certainly would have arguments in its favor, though they're likely to want to have their changes effective as soon as possible so they can brag about them.

... Why should someone who is paying taxes but barely getting by have to help me to by a car? ...

Exactly!