Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

If the GOP tax reform kills the $7500 tax credit, will you still buy?

• No

Votes: 119 23.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 393 76.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!!

All this waiting for the Model 3 is leading folks to really get irritable.

This is the 3rd Tesla product launch/ramp I’ve observed, and the general level of irritation this time around is pretty much what I expected.

Several years ago, I predicted that Model 3 would be a Q3 2018 product. Tesla moved up their schedule far more aggressively than I expected, and in the process needlessly raised customer expectations.

From what I can recall of the Model S and X ramps, it took about a year to go from initial production to a stable rate with predictable delivery times. Some people who had expiring leases on their current cars and were waiting for their S or X unfortunately got screwed.

In practical terms, Tesla will reach its goals eventually, but anyone who is waiting for the proverbial pot of water to boil is just torturing themselves. People who own their cars and are in no rush are in the most advantageous position to wait.

This is a tough reality, but it is something most Tesla early adopters must face.

This is the 3rd Tesla product launch/ramp I’ve observed, and the general level of irritation this time around is pretty much what I expected.

Several years ago, I predicted that Model 3 would be a Q3 2018 product. Tesla moved up their schedule far more aggressively than I expected, and in the process needlessly raised customer expectations.

From what I can recall of the Model S and X ramps, it took about a year to go from initial production to a stable rate with predictable delivery times. Some people who had expiring leases on their current cars and were waiting for their S or X unfortunately got screwed.

In practical terms, Tesla will reach its goals eventually, but anyone who is waiting for the proverbial pot of water to boil is just torturing themselves. People who own their cars and are in no rush are in the most advantageous position to wait.

This is a tough reality, but it is something most Tesla early adopters must face.

Fair enough, but at some point Tesla is dealing with the mass market and can’t keep promising overly optimistic timelines. They’ve said too many times that this car is designed for “ease of manufacturing”... yet, here we are several months out from their launch and still only a trickle of the volume they forecasted. And yet, I wait because it promises to be a category-defying product.

I can’t say that I’m happy waiting and the lack of transparency at this point is grating on me. Have I started looking at other cars? You bet. Just holding out hope at this point that the end of their issues are near... and the unbelievable bickering.

Have I started looking at other cars? You bet. Just holding out hope at this point that the end of their issues are near...

this about sums it up. But at this point, no matter how much I pretend otherwise, I'm not going to buy something else, because I've waited this long and I'm gonna see it through.

That said… I tell all my friends that when they preorder games, they are part of the problem with modern games, then I preorder a car like the king of the idiots. Fool me once…

• Funny
Reactions: geometro
Definitely still ordering. The Tax credit was only the push to get it early rather than anything else, I'm already driving electric so my commute is fine.
With the credit gone I'll probably delay ordering to get the white interior instead of black. They are both premium seat options on the MS so I'm assuming that the cost is the same here.

this about sums it up. But at this point, no matter how much I pretend otherwise, I'm not going to buy something else, because I've waited this long and I'm gonna see it through.

That said… I tell all my friends that when they preorder games, they are part of the problem with modern games, then I preorder a car like the king of the idiots. Fool me once…

Difference being, I've never seen a video game with a 1 year+ long waiting list.

Only Christianity apparently since people are lauded for pounding on Christians but are admonished for ridiculing Jews, Hindus, Muslims, etc.

For the record I am an agnostic.

I excoriate all religions. It just happens that the wacko fundamentalist extreme end of Christianity is the religion that presently has got my country by the short hairs, and is twisting hard, denying science, refusing to address climate change, attacking the right of women to control their own bodies, warmongering in the name of Christ (would Jesus really want us dropping bombs on children?), and generally desecrating everything their religion is supposed to stand for.

So yes, I criticize fundamentalist Christianity more than the others. But I assure you that I criticize them all and if I had my way, all religious organizations (churches, synagogs, mosques, temples, etc., would be outlawed. Benito Juarez had the right idea!)

Back closer to the topic, I am impatient to get my Model 3, but since I'm already driving electric, I can wait as long as necessary. If the early units show poor reliability, I will reconsider. But if they are good, as I expect them to be, I expect the 3 to be my next car. Probably as soon as I can get it (I expect around June) but maybe towards the end of 2018 when I can get AWD.

That’s not what I said. That’s what you incorrectly took from the post.
You said
but I dislike it when people needlessly pollute because it affects *me*.
Is this going to be one of those White House moments ? Do you want a spokesperson to essplain that what you said is not what you meant ? Or you can just face up to your hypocrisy. Nah

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I excoriate all religions. It just happens that the wacko fundamentalist extreme end of Christianity is the religion that presently has got my country by the short hairs, and is twisting hard, denying science, refusing to address climate change, attacking the right of women to control their own bodies, warmongering in the name of Christ (would Jesus really want us dropping bombs on children?), and generally desecrating everything their religion is supposed to stand for.

So yes, I criticize fundamentalist Christianity more than the others. But I assure you that I criticize them all and if I had my way, all religious organizations (churches, synagogs, mosques, temples, etc., would be outlawed. Benito Juarez had the right idea!)

Back closer to the topic, I am impatient to get my Model 3, but since I'm already driving electric, I can wait as long as necessary. If the early units show poor reliability, I will reconsider. But if they are good, as I expect them to be, I expect the 3 to be my next car. Probably as soon as I can get it (I expect around June) but maybe towards the end of 2018 when I can get AWD.

Wow, nice manifesto.

You'd outlaw all religion? Communists did that and in the process killed more people in the 20th century than all other groups you seem to deride combined. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette right?

You are not a person who can be reasoned with so I'll just ignore your posts from here on out.

Wow, nice manifesto.

You'd outlaw all religion? Communists did that and in the process killed more people in the 20th century than all other groups you seem to deride combined. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette right?

You are not a person who can be reasoned with so I'll just ignore your posts from here on out.

Boy, these guys really love to misquote people and turn their words around backwards! I'm glad voip-ninja will be ignoring my posts because that means he will no longer be misquoting me and claiming I said things I never said.

For the record, I would outlaw religious institutions. I never said I would outlaw religion. There's a big difference and anyone who cannot see that has probably already drunk the Kool-Aid of religious institutions which claim to be religions. A religion is a set of beliefs, usually lacking evidence, and an ethical groundwork, which the followers of the religion seldom follow. A religious institution, such as a church, synagog, mosque, temple, etc., is a corporation that makes money by swindling its members into thinking that if they give money to the corporation, they'll get some sort of reward after they die. They are told that their money will be used to further God's goals, but it actually goes to support the con artists who run the corporation. In the U.S. and some other places, these corporations, selling pie in the sky when you die for hard cash today, are exempted from paying taxes on their property and income.

A religion is just a set of usually nonsensical beliefs coupled with a set of ethics ignored be its adherents. A religious institution is a tax-free corporation with a license to openly commit fraud.

I would outlaw religious institutions (as I said in my earlier post). I would not outlaw religion, and contrary to voip-ninja's false allegation, I have never advocated such.

Everyone knows that Tesla jacks the price of the car up by $7500 knowing that either the buyer or lessor (Tesla) will get the money back as tax credit. I would still buy the car but the price needs to be down by $7500 in the absence of tax credit.

Model X P100 D owner. Thinking of buying Model S 100 D

Everyone knows something that Musk & others in the industry insist is not the case? You have remarkable insight into this industry.

It is not Tesla's problem if the government eliminates the tax credit. Lowering the price of their cars by $7500 to make people like yourself happy would likely make those products unprofitable.

I'm wondering if people are really understanding what the tax credit really is. I hope people aren't assuming that the tax credit is some magical 7.5k deduction off the price of the car. I was talking to two of my friends who are both reservation holders and they were under the impression that if Tesla "still" is qualified to offer the tax credit, it would mean they get the car for 7.5k less. I had to pump their brakes a little when they were already building their cars in their head assuming they had that money to play with.

Everyone knows that Tesla jacks the price of the car up by $7500 knowing that either the buyer or lessor (Tesla) will get the money back as tax credit. I would still buy the car but the price needs to be down by $7500 in the absence of tax credit.

If that is the case then why is the price (adjusted for currency and imports) the same outside the US?

Reactions: Sweet OJ and ChadS