TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

POLL: If you win a set of 21" Arachnid wheels, what color will you get?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by syswei, Jul 26, 2016.

?

If you win a set of 21" Arachnid wheels, what color will you get?

1. Silver

2. Grey

3. Black

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. syswei

syswei Member

poll above

2. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I chose black in the poll, but I am tossing that around in my head with the grey. I have a set of grey winter RIAL Lugano rims which really look good when compared to my stock curb rashed silver rims. But since I have those in grey, perhaps black will be a good face-lift change in the summer?

Up until now I had been planning to simply use my old referral credits to buy a new set of all season 19" tires, so I am really happy that I have enough credits under this new program to be awarded these wheels - and a big giant thank you to all that used my code. But I am also really wondering what to do with them? Keep them and use them? Trade them in? Sell them?

On the plus side - I need a new set of all season tires so new tires will be useful even if they are only summer tires (since I also have a set of winter tires and rims), also they look really nice. But on the negative side - won't 21" wheels be more expensive in the long term and wear out quicker? They could really be susceptible to curb rash and potholes too.

What if when these wear out I end up buying all seasons on them? Will the wear be better than summer tires, or do 21" tires simply wear out quicker no matter their season rating?

On the other hand, when they are ready ( I presume after October?) I am wondering if I can ask my SC to simply exchange them for a set of 19" all seasons on the cyclone wheels? Wouldn't that be better?

3. green1

green1 Active Member

My vote would be whichever I think I can re-sell for the most.
    I have 21" wheels, I'm trying to sell them, I prefer the 19s.

4. f-stop

f-stop Member

I vote grey. but I'd need a few more referrals to win some...

I'm already looking for a set of summer wheels... had been planning to put new winter tires on my existing stock 19", buy a new set of other-brand 19" wheels and move the Michelin MXM to those. Up to now haven't decided on which rims to buy for the summer set, and hadn't been considering 21" wheels at all, but...

btw here's a photoshopped rendering of grey arachnids on a deep blue metallic S:
    Blue70DwGreyArachnid21.jpg

5. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Why are you trying to sell your existing 21's?

Thanks for that - the grey sure does look nice. Perhaps I will change my vote.. ;)

6. green1

green1 Active Member

It's personal preference really, For my driving, the 19" wheels make more sense. They're a softer ride, and they're more resistant to damage. As someone who frequently drives to places that are somewhat isolated, including gravel roads, both of those are important to me, meanwhile the wider contact patch of the 21" tires to get that extra bit of acceleration doesn't do that much for me as I'm pretty happy with the acceleration of the car already.

But if you prefer the looks, and slight performance gain, of the 21" staggered grey turbines, I have a beautiful set for sale in pretty much pristine condition.