Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Is FSD a complete crock?

Poll: Is FSD a complete crock?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Marketing" at Tesla is pretty good. Names/branding like "Autopilot," "Ludicrous+," "Full Self Driving" (aka, "FSD") , are very misleading. Does anyone know if you can "unbuy" the FSD option - meaning getting Tesla to remove, it via update, and then refunding the $6000 paid? And if so, what the process for doing so is?

I would consider it reliable because it sounds right and there is no incentive to give misinformation. Also the person is reputable. True it is second hand and no date of when the information passed to the next, so Tesla's definition could have changed or someone misinterpreted something.
Oh and I realize I made a mistake. Strike "... driver engagement" and replace with "... driver intervention". Driver must always be engaged. Here it is restated correctly from memory:
25% of daily commutes can be done without driver intervention.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
I assume FSD = Level 5. Well I've seen bad weather, dirty cameras and various road repairs either disable the current system or cause undesirable behavior. So I'm not sure any more. I think HW3 can probably handle the data but I guess I'll have to wait and see how if it does a better job with the camera inputs than 2.5. That said "I want to believe".

Reactions: Big Ike
Oh and I realize I made a mistake. Strike "... driver engagement" and replace with "... driver intervention". Driver must always be engaged. Here it is restated correctly from memory: 25% of daily commutes can be done without driver intervention.

So I interpret that to mean that if you took say 100 daily commutes that people do, 25 of the trips would have no driver interventions at all. Am I interpreting your statement correctly?

If correct, that seems like a very low bar that Tesla is setting themselves.On the other hand, it does kinda jive with Elon predicting "feature complete" by the end of this year. If their criteria is no disengagements for only 25% of commutes that seems more plausible that they might achieve it this year. Also, the last 2 FSD features on the page, traffic light response and "automatic city driving" would seem to fulfill that criteria as well. If the current Nav on AP could also handle traffic lights, stop signs, and intersections reliably, then I could see that covering 25% of people's commutes. So it kinda makes sense with what we know.

I assume FSD = Level 5.

Level 5 is the end goal but it will take awhile before FSD actually gets there.

Reactions: DanCar
Much longer than you think likely. I wish I could get EAP off my car and get a refund of it's useless features. The old standard AP on my S was better than what I have now. I don't need the car to change lanes if I have to nudge the wheel all the time, that makes it useless and advanced parking lot collision is something I certainly could care less about even if it worked perfectly. Boy was that a $5k money fleecing operation.

So I interpret that to mean that if you took say 100 daily commutes that people do, 25 of the trips would have no driver interventions at all. Am I interpreting your statement correctly?
Yes, that is how I would interpret it.
If correct, that seems like a very low bar that Tesla is setting themselves.
Interesting, I have the opposite opinion. I think it is a very high bar. I guess that speaks to our expectations. I have very low expectations and you have high ones.
... current Nav on AP could also handle traffic lights, stop signs, and intersections reliably, then I could see that covering 25% of people's commutes.
Changing subjects slightly: Reliably is an interesting word. What I got from speaking to one driverless perception engineer is that the best traffic light recognition is at 99% now. That doesn't seem reliable to me, but if a human is suppose to augment it, then I guess it is passable. Still seems very dangerous to me, because people will tend to tune out and not watch the traffic lights closely.

Changing subjects slightly: Reliably is an interesting word. What I got from speaking to one driverless perception engineer is that the best traffic light recognition is at 99% now. That doesn't seem reliable to me, but if a human is suppose to augment it, then I guess it is passable. Still seems very dangerous to me, because people will tend to tune out and not watch the traffic lights closely.
Unless everyone in the industry is lying about their disengagement data there is no way the reliability is 99%. You can't go 10k+ miles between disengagements with 99% traffic light recognition (unless maybe they stop for 1% of green lights and the car eventually figures it out and continues).

I would say doing 99.9% of commutes (on mapped paved roads) 25% of the time would be a good bar for "feature complete". Having a high percentage of commutes that the system can never do is not feature complete IMHO.

Reactions: DanCar