TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[POLL] Is FSD it's own thing or an extension of EAP?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Theflash95, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is FSD it's own thing or an extension of EAP?

1. FSD is completely independent from EAP

13.0%
  2. FSD will be EAP with features added (eventually adding enough to fully automate door to door drives)

87.0%
  1. Theflash95

Theflash95 Member

#1 Theflash95, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    I was going to wait to post this question after the big Version 9 update, but it seems things are pretty lively on here with all the FSD news lately (new features coming soon, new 3.0 hardware next year) and I'd love to know where everyone stands.

So... my opinion is that FSD is being developed as an extension of EAP. The description of EAP from the design studio is "Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage." That basically says to me that EAP, once perfected will handle the car by itself on the highway all the way from on ramp to off ramp... or rather it will fully self drive itself from on ramp to off ramp. Maybe we'll still need to keep our hands on the wheel but as I'm sure most of you know there are plenty of people who use EAP hands off. Yup, all you have to do is tweak the wheel slightly when the nag comes and the car drives by itself pretty well... sure there are still some issues here and there, but on a clearly marked highway EAP can basically drive the car by itself without much intervention.

All that being said I see FSD as building on what EAP has done so far. Elon has said some FSD features would be rolled out soon... we of course don't know what they are, but say one of those features is stopping at a stop sign. Right now EAP can be used on local roads and does it's lane keeping just fine. If you're adding the FSD stop sign recognition feature wouldn't you take what EAP can do and add in the code/ability to recognize and stop at a stop sign?

Apparently there are many of you who think FSD is its own thing and that EAP has nothing, or not much to do with it. If that's true then we can say that we haven't seen any FSD code in action at this point. So, for those of you that have this opinion I'm guessing that when some FSD features are released there will be all new code that handles lane keeping, TACC (or say recognizing speed limit signs and accelerating to that speed rather than having the driver set a cruise speed), and pretty much better or perfected versions of what EAP can already do. I mean, you wouldn't release a feature such as stopping at a stop sign without also being able to do what EAP can do already, right? Hey, my car can recognize and stop at stop signs, but I have to steer the car... yeah, that's not going to be how it works.

I just can't picture two teams that are basically aiming to do the same thing, which is automate the driving of a car who work completely independently and have completely different methods (EAP automating highway on ramp to off ramp with some bonus features... lane keeping on non-highways, summon and auto park and then FSD which will eventually automate the entire door to door drive):

EAP team: Hey, the FSD guys have code that does better lane keeping than our code... they figured out how to deal with shadows too so they don't have phantom braking. Damn, I wish I was on the FSD team.

FSD team: The EAP team is a bunch of losers.

Personally I don't see FSD happening anytime soon... I have a Nov. 2017 Model S that I plan to keep for at least 10 years before I replace it with my next EV... needless to say I don't see FSD being fully active (no human intervention) during the ownership of my vehicle. Hopefully I'm wrong and FSD will be here before I expect it, but I remain skeptical for now. I'm guessing a lot will be revealed once the first FSD features roll out, hopefully then we'll be able to better gauge the progress of the system.

I would just like to add that I love my Model S and even though I am skeptical about when FSD will roll out I'm optimistic that Tesla and other companies will eventually get there. For now I'm happy to steer and stomp on the go pedal all by myself.

2. Theflash95

Theflash95 Member

Only 1 vote for FSD being its own thing? I know there is more than one person on this forum that thinks that is what Tesla’s plan is.

Oh well, maybe I should have included another option for the poll: “It could go either way.” It just seems to me that most people feel strongly that it’s one way or the other. It’ll be interesting to see as time goes by and we start to see some FSD features who got it right.