Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Is FSD Worth the Cost?

Which is the best value for the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some things to consider:

1. The cars should last for 10-20 years.
2. Tesla has a history of underestimating the difficulty of producing working FSD that can pass muster for general availability.

3. Tesla has a history of underestimating the amount of processing power needed to support FSD.

4. FSD will reach commercial availability within the useful life of the cars.

5. If you pay $7K now, Tesla will be on the hook for all the future mods need to actually make it work at no cost to you.

6. FSD will be a valuable feature when selling the car in the future.

If you agree with the above and expect FSD to arrive within its useful life, then, unless you are pressed for cash, $7K is a bargain.

I have a 2015 S85D with AP1 (mfg 08/2015). Cars one week later were badged as 90D and a year later AP2.0 hardware was standard, so no upgrades ever for me. I have what may be the best combo. Lane keeping TACC with turn signal initiated lane change. I use it nearly every day and it is a godsend on my half-dozen trips from Dallas to Denver each year and the 460 mi trips to see my son in Austin a couple times a month. I echo several of the comments about weather degradation (stopping on the side of the interstate in a cloudburst storm about radar inoperative to find a wet leaf plastered on it.) My summon (40 ft forward or back only) gets the car out of the garage when your arms are loaded, and puts it back. Autopark only presents about 1 of every 5-10 times I want it.

I would love to have the more accurate 3 front cameras instead of 1 and DashCam available.

I feel like my lane keeping with TACC is the minimum useful version of AutoPilot to be worth any extra cost, but certainly not $7K.

Yup, you’ve described standard auto pilot to a “T“. Which is included in the price of all models except for the SR variant.

Here are some things to consider:

1. The cars should last for 10-20 years.
2. Tesla has a history of underestimating the difficulty of producing working FSD that can pass muster for general availability.

3. Tesla has a history of underestimating the amount of processing power needed to support FSD.

4. FSD will reach commercial availability within the useful life of the cars.

5. If you pay $7K now, Tesla will be on the hook for all the future mods need to actually make it work at no cost to you.

6. FSD will be a valuable feature when selling the car in the future.

If you agree with the above and expect FSD to arrive within its useful life, then, unless you are pressed for cash, $7K is a bargain.
That’s the thing. So far they’ve promised to u/g to HW3 but nowhere have I seen they will do the same for HW4 if it’s even compatible.

I purchased EAP for my Model S in 2018, after having AP1 in my first S. NOA is a novelty feature to me. I hardly ever use it because I frequently don’t agree with its lane change choices. Auto lane change, auto steering, and TACC I use every day. Smart Summon is useless. So for me $4000 for nonexistent features is definitely not worth it.

Reactions: EVNation
I think it is worth it. Ever since I bought a Tesla, I am more a defensive driver rather than aggressive. I try to be less in a hurry and be less of a jerk on the road so autopilot on the freeway with 2-3 car distances is perfect for me. I love the self parking, works most of the time and does a great job as well. I love the lane change but there are situations where it is hard to do so I have to actually turn off autopilot to get into the lane. Actually one time in the middle of my lane change someone tried to overpower me and well the car avoided an accident.

The only feature I do not use much right now ( I dont have a garage as a daily charger) is summon mode. It was draining my battery and it really hurt me because it was using a lot of vampire drain overnight plus on top of the cold weather was not a good mix.

However, FSD (once it is more available) which I did get for the extra 6K at the time has been getting better and better; less ghost braking, better lane changing and etc. Its worth it and that price will only go up.

I am very happy with my purchase of FSD and use the features whenever they are available. I’ve got mine set up as follows:
1. Auto adjust speed to +5 speed limit
2. Mad max mode
3. Car lengths 5
4. Turn off notifications
Do I have to intervene? Occasionally Yes - in the following cases:
1. Construction zones where the paint lines from one iteration are still there when they’ve changed the route. Car gets confused. Wouldn’t you?
2. Phantom braking in places where construction has completed but maps haven’t been updated
3. Occasionally have to put on my right turn signal to force a lane change when on NoA because it’s sitting too long in far left lane. Note: If I’ve done that, I’ve learned it won’t auto-pass again until I initiate passing with a left turn signal. I suspect that’s because it’s deferring to my prior manual change as an indication that I have seen/know about a condition that it’s unaware of.

I find that when I drive for 10 hours I am so much more rested due to NoA. It identifies a slow car ahead of me well ahead of when I notice. It makes the necessary lane change well in advance. When It passes a semi- it moves back over as soon as possible. I actually think truck drivers recognize that it will “do the right thing” as they seem to be kinder when I’m driving my Tesla. (Friends have said they just don’t want to wreck an expensive car.)

I use AP and TACC all the time on city streets and love the lack of stress AND the times when I take a 10 mile trip through multiple traffic lights and several towns with multiple speed changes and never have to do a thing.

I use Enhanced Summon frequently when leaving an establishment just to see how it does. Successful everywhere except one shopping center parking lot where no matter where I park - it seems to want to get on the internal “road” to pick me up when it could just come straight to me. I think it “remembers” the first time I tried it there and when it tentatively go on that “road” a departing fire truck crew noticed it being tentative, slammed on their bakes, got out the chock blocks while I yelled “It’s Ok I’m in control”. Little Tesla knowledge sharing session and a few laughs later.......

I think it is worth it. Ever since I bought a Tesla, I am more a defensive driver rather than aggressive. I try to be less in a hurry and be less of a jerk on the road so autopilot on the freeway with 2-3 car distances is perfect for me. I love the self parking, works most of the time and does a great job as well. I love the lane change but there are situations where it is hard to do so I have to actually turn off autopilot to get into the lane. Actually one time in the middle of my lane change someone tried to overpower me and well the car avoided an accident.

The only feature I do not use much right now ( I dont have a garage as a daily charger) is summon mode. It was draining my battery and it really hurt me because it was using a lot of vampire drain overnight plus on top of the cold weather was not a good mix.

However, FSD (once it is more available) which I did get for the extra 6K at the time has been getting better and better; less ghost braking, better lane changing and etc. Its worth it and that price will only go up.

Turn off the Summon standby mode. That will solve your battery drain.