TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: Is MS daily driver (DD)?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DIL, Oct 7, 2013.

?

Is your MS a daily driver?

1. Yes, daily driver.

98.5%
  2. No.

1.5%
  1. DIL

DIL Member

Is the Tesla Model S your daily driver? Do you have a long commute? What do you love about your MS as a commuter car?

2. texex91

texex91 Banned

Not technically DD as I have an ICE that I use probably 20-30% of the time. why? Bad weather, leaving car at airport, trips downtown where roads are crappy, etc.

HOWEVER, that is becoming less and less by the week.

3. Zextraterrestrial

#3 Zextraterrestrial, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Daily driver
    Short commute(4 mi one-way) that I try to make as long as I can!

love the fact that you can floor it at 6am and not disturb anyone sleeping + no wait for engine to warm up a second or two
    + it is app warmed when you get in it!

weekend racer

4. shady

shady Member

Daily Driver
    long commute (50 mile one way) mostly all freeway equipped with car pool lane.

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

To me, it would seem this would be a no-brainer. I can't see many people who would buy this car only for long trips since it's not as convenient as an ICE (at least until we get the supercharger/battery swap infrastructure in place). It's also not a weekend only fun car like my Ferrari, which I can't leave anywhere like the movies for fear of vandalism, etc. and it's only a 2 seater to boot. The Model S seems like the perfect DD unless you commute over 250 miles a day, and even that only applies if you don't have a way to "top off" while at your job. Pre-warm/Cool the interior via app, no startup noise waking up the wife/kids (try that in the Ferrari!). The ONLY downside I can see is that using it as a DD with the 21" tires will be more expensive than it would be with the 19's or another cheaper tire, but if you are spending 100K on a car, I would guess you could afford the tires.

6. Tommy

Tommy Member

After putting on 26k+ miles in 10 months, I think it qualifies as a daily driver.:wink:

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

whoever has the 1 vote for 'no' should put their Model S back in it's shipping box and send it back. :p LOL j/k

8. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Will be my DD, replacing a gas binging E350 for my 60m/rt commute. Mostly highway driving, so I can't wait.

9. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I said yes, but I actually alternate between my S and Roadster. Since my S gets more miles than the Roadster I guess it would be considered my daily driver.

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Perhaps the Roadster is their daily driver:smile:

11. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Daily driver.

I like that it's so smooth in stop and go traffic, one peddle driving with heavy regen is the best, and that I never have to take time out of my commute to stop and get gas because I fill up at home every night!

12. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Daily driver. Although on occasion I will drive our second car...

13. Zextraterrestrial

the 60 kWh?

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Yes it is. 23ish miles each way. I love almost everything about it as a commuter car. I've only ever owned one car at a time, so I'm not sure what people look for in a commuter; to me, it's all the same--daily driver, weekend getaway car, road trip car, etc. So it's tough to pick out which things are especially good for commuters but might not matter as much for errands, trips, etc. Quiet, comfortable, amazing acceleration, not stopping for gas, regen braking...I think I'm going to list everything about the car, so I'll stop now. :cool:

15. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

It will be my daily driver. I have a 10 mile commute 1 way now, but depending on which way I go I can increase that as needed. :)

16. roblab

roblab Active Member

26,000 miles in a year on MS, Prius driven twice a month: Loser drives the Prius. Prius is for sale. MS is ONLY driver.

17. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I'm selling my current ICE vehicle, so I hope so. Anyone want to buy a really clean 2004 Lexus GX? Gimme 18 Grand and it's yours. :D :D :D

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Absolutely the daily driver unless I want to have fun in the Roadster or the powder goes up to the headlights; then the jeep wins...

Jeep in Snow-sm.jpg

19. highfalutintodd

Damn, Cottonwood.... Please tell me that was last winter, and not last week!

20. DIL

DIL Member

LOL. Nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I didn't expect 99.9% to be daily drivers, but now it makes sense. That says something about the versatility of the MS and the level of refinement, from "S" all the way to "P+"!

I will be putting in 100 miles/day - driving right past the Fremont plant, to a job not far from Palo Alto HQ!