Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Is releasing Model Y so early a mistake?

Is releasing Model Y so early a HUGE mistake?

• Strongly Agree. It will steal massive demand away from Model 3 significantly. Stupid move by Tesla.

• Partially Agree. It will steal some demand away from Model 3 for sure.

• Not sure

• Time will tell

• Partially Disagree. It will steal small amount of demand away from Model 3. Tesla will be fine.

• Strongly Disagree. Releasing now make the public more aware of Tesla. Increase demand of all models

• I don't care at all. Don't ask me this question.

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it’s fake but I think it’s based on production capacity. They have no where to build it.

But, if Model 3 sales nose dive, I would put very good money on Tesla switching over to Model Y production at Fremont. It’s basically the same car.... just 10% bigger and with higher margins. It would actually kind of be stupid for Tesla to continue prioritizing Model 3 production over Model Y production.
They don't need to "switch" it over in its entirety. They can build both vehicles on the same line.

Many other automakers do it, esp. the Japanese. I've posted about this many times including at [Verified False] I THINK THE MID RANGE MODEL 3 IS A SOFTWARE LIMITED LONG RANGE BATTERY PACK!. I included a reference to Mazda in 1990 building six models in the same line. I did take a tour of Mazda's Hiroshima plant in 2001 myself and have been on many other auto plant tours. I posted briefly about my visit to Toyota Tsutumi plant in 2003 at Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?.

The overlap in customers is smaller than you seem to think. Normal people don't generally cross-shop send and crossovers. They know what they want and they look at vehicles that fit that criteria. Crossovers, SUVs, and trucks accounted for the top six vehicles sold in the US in 2018 — there's a large customer base that wouldn't even consider the Model 3. Now with the Model Y there is a Tesla in their price and style brackets.
I would have chose the Y and I have never owned an suv, only sedans and pickups, I see the Y as a sedan with a hatch but maybe that is just me?

Reactions: pilotSteve
How is it being released “too early?” It’s still 18 months away. Tesla needs to have a vehicle in as many segments as possible so this will be a good add. Sure the model 3 may lose some sales but they will be converted to the Y. Sedans aren’t fairing well. I love my 3.

IMO, MY is the car they should be launching now in the UK, not M3.

I can see people here putting off a M3 purchase because, with a hatchback and higher roofllne, the MY is a more practical car. Defintely a better family car, better taxi, better getting-stuff-to-the-dump car, etc.

The main thing stopping me from postponing my M3 is the fact that the MY is unlikely to be here until 2021/22.

Reactions: ggnykk
IMO, MY is the car they should be launching now in the UK, not M3.

I can see people here putting off a M3 purchase because, with a hatchback and higher roofllne, the MY is a more practical car. Defintely a better family car, better taxi, better getting-stuff-to-the-dump car, etc.

The main thing stopping me from postponing my M3 is the fact that the MY is unlikely to be here until 2021/22.
I think Tesla should focus on building different sizes of SUV. Sedan as a category is not selling well in America and Canada.

I think Tesla should focus on building different sizes of SUV. Sedan as a category is not selling well in America and Canada.
Yes, for the US. But the US auto market isn't necessarily representative of rest of world.

Here are US auto sales: December 2018 – The Best-Selling Vehicles In America – Every Vehicle Ranked | GCBC. Unfortunately, WSJ stopped updating this once GM stopped reporting monthly US sales figures: Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com.

Here's Japan, in comparison (as an example): 2018 (Full Year) Japan: Best-Selling Car Models and Mini Cars - Car Sales Statistics. Nissan Note is aka the Versa Note in the US. Toyota Aqua is aka Prius c in the US.

5D832368-15FB-46F3-95FF-6F933C0851D4.jpeg
The Model Y is a huge disaster. It will not sell well.

I fully disagree! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Y is going to be a huge hit despite all the negativity on here. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes. It will grow on you, you’ll see... give it time!
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300+ mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to that market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Above is a PS’d Black Model Performance Y that’s lowered, added tints, and larger 21” wheels/tires. It’s a stealthy Hot Looking Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 0-60 time of 3.5 sec... that’s awsome man! (Tap on pix to enlarge it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
Yes, for the US. But the US auto market isn't necessarily representative of rest of world.

Here are US auto sales: December 2018 – The Best-Selling Vehicles In America – Every Vehicle Ranked | GCBC. Unfortunately, WSJ stopped updating this once GM stopped reporting monthly US sales figures: Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com.

Here's Japan, in comparison (as an example): 2018 (Full Year) Japan: Best-Selling Car Models and Mini Cars - Car Sales Statistics. Nissan Note is aka the Versa Note in the US. Toyota Aqua is aka Prius c in the US.
Interesting link from the Wall street journal. Anyone know the exact difference between SUV and crossover in the table? These two terms seem to be used as the same thing in the general public.

Crossover and SUV combined is 45% of the sales back in March 2018, interesting!

View attachment 387617

I fully disagree! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Y is going to be a huge hit despite all the negativity on here. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes. It will grow on you, you’ll see... give it time!
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300+ mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to that market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Above is a PS’d Black Model Performance Y that’s lowered, added tints, and larger 21” wheels/tires. It’s a stealthy Hot Looking Crossover Hatch (when configured right) that can seat 7 with a 300 mile range and a 0-60 time of 3.5 sec... that’s awsome man! (Tap on pix to enlarge it.)
I agree as well. I think Model Y is a very compelling offering for EV. I just wish that it is in production sooner.
In the long run, I hope Tesla will produce even cheaper EV, like smaller than Model 3 and Model Y. The current pricing are still a bit high for the middle class I would say.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC