Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Is releasing Model Y so early a mistake?

Is releasing Model Y so early a HUGE mistake?

• Strongly Agree. It will steal massive demand away from Model 3 significantly. Stupid move by Tesla.

• Partially Agree. It will steal some demand away from Model 3 for sure.

• Not sure

• Time will tell

• Partially Disagree. It will steal small amount of demand away from Model 3. Tesla will be fine.

• Strongly Disagree. Releasing now make the public more aware of Tesla. Increase demand of all models

• I don't care at all. Don't ask me this question.

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree as well. I think Model Y is a very compelling offering for EV. I just wish that it is in production sooner.
In the long run, I hope Tesla will produce even cheaper EV, like smaller than Model 3 and Model Y. The current pricing are still a bit high for the middle class I would say.

Smaller than the model Y is kind of useless in the United States though.

The current size of Model Y (assuming the same overall length as Model 3 at 184.8 inch) is actually longer than any small gasoline SUV. Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4 etc at 180.8 inch. So I think there are room for Tesla to go one class smaller than Model 3/Y.

We own a 2018 CRV. It has 10 more cubic feet of cargo space and I expect it to be more spacious than the Y. The Y is just a longer vehicle. The CRV has more of a square hatch/traditional SUV shape instead of a slope back/hatch like the Y. The extra length probably just allows the small third row option.

Interesting link from the Wall street journal. Anyone know the exact difference between SUV and crossover in the table? These two terms seem to be used as the same thing in the general public.

Crossover and SUV combined is 45% of the sales back in March 2018, interesting!
It's confusing and frankly I don't like the term "crossover". See the below (for example):
Autotrader - page unavailable
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/09/suvs-vs-crossovers-whats-the-difference

I've complained about the fuzzy definition and other issues I have w/how the media refers to crossovers at AutoNation: Gas Price `Freak-Out Number' Higher Than 2008 before.

BTW, you can look at some older copies of that WSJ table via Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180119031548/http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html is a table that covers all of 2017 in the US. You'll note that everything indented under "light-duty trucks" is considered to be that (e.g. pickups, crossovers, minivans, SUVs, vans, etc.) There are actually some vehicles that have too high a GVWR and are beyond "light trucks" and are considered medium duty trucks. See the table at https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/which_tested.shtm.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Definition: “A Crossover is based on a car's platform, (Model 3 in this case) while an true SUV uses the chassis of a truck. The result is that Crossovers use "unibody" architecture, meaning the body and frame are one piece, while SUVs use a "body on frame" design. (Like a Chevy Suburban) Although Crossover’s can have SUV type characteristics, it should not be considered one since it is primarily based on a passenger car platform. Early Crossovers did resemble small SUVs or large wagons. Crossovers today have ride, handling, performance and fuel / battery economy characteristics similar to the cars they’re based on and are only intended for very light off-road use, if ever.”

Therefore the term Crossover fits the Model Y to a T !

51C9809A-CB85-4374-9A12-AE4756CE51CB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Definition: “A Crossover is based on a car's platform, (Model 3 in this case) while an true SUV uses the chassis of a truck. The result is that Crossovers use "unibody" architecture, meaning the body and frame are one piece, while SUVs use a "body on frame" design. (Like a Chevy Suburban) Although Crossover’s can have SUV type characteristics, it should not be considered one since it is primarily based on a passenger car platform. Early Crossovers did resemble small SUVs or large wagons. Crossovers today have ride, handling, performance and fuel / battery economy characteristics similar to the cars they’re based on and are only intended for very light off-road use, if ever.”

Therefore the term Crossover fits the Model Y to a T !

View attachment 388080
Great explanation.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC