Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Is your LR 3's range, ABOVE or BELOW fleet average, and do you live in a WARM or COLD climate?

Are you ABOVE or BELOW fleet average, and do you live in a WARM or COLD climate?

• ABOVE green line, COLD climate

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • ABOVE green line, WARM climate

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • BELOW green line, COLD climate

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • BELOW green line, WARM climate

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • ABOVE green line, MIXED climate

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • BELOW green line, MIXED climate

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
LYX4pkq.jpg

So, in a recent thread, I posted a theory that HV batteries that are in warmer climes degrade faster than ones in colder climes. I’m sure that notion may have crossed the minds of quite a few of you. DaveEV mentioned that that idea would follow the Arrhenius Equation.

I wondered if there would be an easy way to test this idea. I know Tesla and many of the 3rd party app developers have tons of data that would help, but no one seems to want to do the analysis.

I took a TeslaFi chart posted by ScottF250, and overlaid a grid to help people visualize where their 3 would fall.

What I want to do is ask a simple question: For people with a LR Model 3, looking at your mileage and plotting it on the above chart. Are you above or below the Fleet Average green line? And, do you live in what would be considered a warm climate, like Florida, Texas, SoCal, or similar location; or do you live in what would be considered a cold climate, like Maine, Minnesota, Alaska, Canada, or similar?

So, the four choices would be:
1) ABOVE the green line, COLD climate
2) ABOVE the green line, WARM climate
3) BELOW the green line, COLD climate
4) BELOW the green line, WARM climate

Okay, not everyone lives in Florida and Maine where it's obviously warm or cold, so I've added a couple choices for those in mixed climates.

For example, I have 15,000+ miles on my 3, where the fleet average is about 296 miles, and my estimated Range is still 310 miles. I live in a colder climate, Maine. So, I would choose ABOVE the green line, COLD climate.

Last edited:
As you likely know, I usually like to keep all the "battery degradation" topics in the master thread on range above, but this thread asks a different question than that.

FWIW my vote above is "above line, warm climate (southern california).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Above average according to Stats.
Thanks, but we're not looking for your efficiency, but the estimated range. It would be the following looking chart from Stats, called Battery Health:
IMG_0242.jpeg

According to the post-Winter trend, my estimates have ranged from 307 to 313 miles, which average 310 miles. At 15,000 miles, the fleet average is 296 miles, so my 310 miles is ABOVE the green line, and I live in a COLD climate.
IMG_0241.jpeg

I think there's too many other variables to break it down to such a simple solution (though I applaud you for trying). Supercharging is a big one. Where exactly people park in their climate could have a big effect too. And there are so many different climates in just the US that it's difficult to just break it down into Warm, Cold or Mixed. How you drive. What type of roads you drive on. And just the variability in the batteries themselves.

Reactions: KenC
i think you have to determine what warm means. warm in USA means something else than warm in europe or in australia.

Anyway, you know that in teslafi you can actually only include your own temperature?
For me, if i set temp +-6C (i live somewhere hot) average range drops but not by much. maybe 5-6km which is only 2-3 miles.

I think there's too many other variables to break it down to such a simple solution (though I applaud you for trying). Supercharging is a big one. Where exactly people park in their climate could have a big effect too. And there are so many different climates in just the US that it's difficult to just break it down into Warm, Cold or Mixed. How you drive. What type of roads you drive on. And just the variability in the batteries themselves.
The idea was to go for extreme simplicity to see if there's any possible broad pattern. Only then, add more detail. If there's nothing, then everyone's time has been wasted as little as possible.

Reactions: Chisale
So far, 22 votes, and no trend whatsoever. Obviously, too few datapoints. Still, could be my categories are not granular enough as some have suggested, or it could just be that there is no relationship between degradation and temps.