Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll]- Last days to order 60/60D by April 16th, anyone?

Did you order 60/60D?

• Yes, I already order MORE THAN one 60/60D.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes, I already order one 60/60D.

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Yes, I already took delivery of 60/60D.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Not sure. Don't own any Tesla

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Not sure. Already own a Tesla

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, I already own a Tesla. Don't need more.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • No, I already own MULTIPLE Tesla. Don't need more.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No, I will save my money for Model 3

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, I bet an improved version of Model S or new model will release next month

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of the MS 60 a few weeks ago and have since been in a 2013 85 as well as a 2014 P85D loaner for a combined week+. (Multiple fit and finish issues on my 60 are being corrected at the Tesla shop. End-of-quarter vehicle may have been the cause.)

From the outside there is hardly a noticeable difference between all three cars, except that mine has the new front bumper design, which we prefer.

Acceleration between all three is comparable. However the P85D has Ludicrous Mode, which when enabled is incredible. I believe this is not an available option on the 60/60D since you must have a performance model. In two words: Simply awesome. I would select that option every time if I sold a few more widgets/made more money.

Ludicrous does use quite a bit more energy, but it's totally worth it if you can afford this upgrade. I keep it on all the time while I have the loaner. Even though both 85s have more range than my 60, they do use more power, especially the performance, dual-motor model with Ludicrous enabled. Despite charging to 90% on all of these while I have had them, I usually return home each day after driving similar miles with about the same amount of mileage left on the charge.

The 60/60D is a great bang for your buck since you're purchasing a battery with 75 KWH potential (optional future upgrade). There are many threads on this topic which detail all the benefits of this feature, including faster charging times and the potential to charge to 100% regularly without harming the battery (Tesla is hesitant to confirm the latter).

For those like me who want to get in on the excitement and experience the thrill of driving the future without breaking the bank, the 60/60D is the way to go. We are glad we got in before it was discontinued for a second time.

Got my S60 back in August. AP1 instead of AP2, but in retrospect it was a heck of a deal as a lot of options (and the base price!) on the S60 kept slowly getting more expensive after the initial announcement. After the federal tax credit and delivery fee, my car was ~$70k + sales tax and included PUP, AP1, upgraded seats/interior selection, upgraded exterior color, and the pano. That in addition to it being a software-locked 75 I feel like I got some of the best value for the $ you could get on an S.

The S60 announcement was definitely what got me to finally pull the trigger on the purchase last spring/summer.

I purchased an S60 during the sweet spot between June-Nov 2016 when the base price was $66k. After the $1k referral discount and $7.5k tax credit the base price becomes only $57.5k for a brand new Tesla! The only options I added were AP1 for $2.5k and red paint for $1.5k. Best decision of my life. The car is unbelievable! I plan to own it for the full 8 years of the powertrain / battery warranty.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Considered it, but Elon didn't anti-sell the 3 hard enough.

For me im not a fan of not having a speedometer and the single-display option was kind of a turnoff, plus the model s seems like a more full size sedan while the 3 seems compact so that's what turned me to the model S. (plus i didn't want to wait 3 years for a new tesla when all the tax incentives will be gone by then)

I'd have voted two of the options if the poll had permitted it: I already own a Tesla, and I'm waiting for the Model 3. The Model S is too big a car for me. When they announced the delay of AWD Model 3 I looked at a used P85D on line, looked up the dimensions, and said "No way, Jose!"

I'd have voted two of the options if the poll had permitted it: I already own a Tesla, and I'm waiting for the Model 3. The Model S is too big a car for me. When they announced the delay of AWD Model 3 I looked at a used P85D on line, looked up the dimensions, and said "No way, Jose!"
upload_2017-4-13_11-43-16.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
@democappy, @TSLATed,

We jumped on back when $66K deal was announced for the S60 as well. I personally didn't see a need for more range...not even the D. That low entry price gave me justification to purchase some add ons. Paint, pano, next gen seats, AP1, PUP, and RFS, brought me up to $79.5K. After all the incentives, it was only $68K (pre tax). Helluva car and amenities for that price! No different in looks than a 75, 90, or 100. I still don't find myself wanting/wishing for extra range, but if I ever do, I have the $7K (previously $9K) option to convert it to a 75.

For anyone on the fence, jump on it now before it's too late, you'll be happy you did!

Ludicrous does use quite a bit more energy, but it's totally worth it if you can afford this upgrade. I keep it on all the time while I have the loaner. Even though both 85s have more range than my 60, they do use more power, especially the performance, dual-motor model with Ludicrous enabled. Despite charging to 90% on all of these while I have had them, I usually return home each day after driving similar miles with about the same amount of mileage left on the charge.
That's because you drive them differently ;). If you drive them the same, the power usage is nearly identical. We have both P85DL an 60D and compared power usage between the two. Here is what is looked like on a 54mile trip where the 60D was following the P85DL all the way (P85DL did a quick 0.6 mile run to pick someone up before the start of the trip) . Ludicrous enabled all the time (I never turn it off).
TeslaPowerUsage.png

• Informative
Reactions: Sonny Daze
Hey, those 7 people who voted they want to bet on a new model or improvement, how much are you guys willing to bet, are you giving odds, and what do you consider an improvement (since it's quite clear what a new model means, a new letter of course)?

That's because you drive them differently ;). If you drive them the same, the power usage is nearly identical. We have both P85DL an 60D and compared power usage between the two. Here is what is looked like on a 54mile trip where the 60D was following the P85DL all the way (P85DL did a quick 0.6 mile run to pick someone up before the start of the trip) . Ludicrous enabled all the time (I never turn it off).
View attachment 222630

True story. You are absolutely correct that I drive the 85 loaners quite differently than the way I usually baby my 60. The longer I have the P85D, the more I realize that it is my foot along with ludicrous that are the sources of the extra power usage.

I wanted to go back and edit my post today, but I couldn't. And I figured I'd be called out on it eventually anyway. Thank you for the visuals.

Insane acceleration is an awesome feature, and something that you can use to impress your friends, or perhaps use to quickly escape an impending accident. However the practical side of me says the 60 is by far the most economical option. You get the same general looks and somewhat similar performance of the larger battery options with the relative low entry-cost.

I got the 60 after Tesla announce AP 2 and before the price increase. I only got EAP with referral credit come out to $70k not including destination fee. With the federal and state tax credit that's about 60k. With gas saving plus free supercharging as I plan to keep my car for 8 years the total cost would come out to be <50k for a tesla

Insane acceleration is an awesome feature, and something that you can use to impress your friends, or perhaps use to quickly escape an impending accident.
Ludicrous acceleration is nice, but have to tell you practically speaking I almost never use it from dead stop, where it's most dramatic. If you do, you end up having to collect the contents of the cubby from the rear seat floor. Where it's useful is accelerating form 20+ or 50+ (the latter sadly could use even more power, but Tesla failed to deliver the originally advertised 691hp for P85D, even after paying extra for the Ludicrous). All that said, I should tell you, switching between the 2 cars, it takes 2-3hrs of not driving the P and you don't notice it much in every day driving - feels nice and fast, pleasure to drive.

However the practical side of me says the 60 is by far the most economical option.
Absolutely, which is why we got one. I figured it was a good deal which was about to disappear for good. Really glad we got it when we did, before the 2 price increases, bundling of interior choices (indirect price increase) and removal of unlimited supercharging. To be honest, after the 691hp fiasco and following the stories of Tesla limiting power to limit battery damage, I don't think I would get another P. Too much money to pay for bleeding edge (+$42K today to go from 100D to P100D, then worry about it failing or getting limited).

Ludicrous acceleration is nice, but have to tell you practically speaking I almost never use it from dead stop, where it's most dramatic. If you do, you end up having to collect the contents of the cubby from the rear seat floor. Where it's useful is accelerating form 20+ or 50+ (the latter sadly could use even more power, but Tesla failed to deliver the originally advertised 691hp for P85D, even after paying extra for the Ludicrous). All that said, I should tell you, switching between the 2 cars, it takes 2-3hrs of not driving the P and you don't notice it much in every day driving - feels nice and fast, pleasure to drive.

That was a spot-on description whitex.

We took our friends for a drive this evening in the P85D. They agreed that accelerating from a dead stop is where you really notice ludicrous mode. Fill up your seats with a few more people and even starting at a dead stop with ludicrous is not quite as exhilarating or impressive.

Like whitex said, when already moving at higher speeds, the extra acceleration is there, but no where near what you feel when starting from 0. And from what I remember from my 60 (still at the shop), the pick-up is awfully close to the P85D when traveling at 50 MPH or greater.

I laughed at this because I always forget, but whitex is absolutely correct... remember to secure your loose chotskies because they will go flying to the rear of the car. Happens all too often in ludicrous mode. Somewhat annoying actually and further limits the practicality of the feature.

If I owned a Tesla with ludicrous mode, I'd also rarely use it due to its power consumption, not to mention the premature wear and tear it probably causes the car.

Last edited: