Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: LR battery degradation @ 3k miles

LR battery degradation @ 3k miles

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to disappoint you guys, but you all have a degredation:) The thing is, for some of you the degradation is over their rated capacity, this is why it is hidden from you:)

There is an EPA rated consumption which Tesla uses to calculate the 310 miles. It is around 245Wh (in km it is 153Wh/km) on the AWD and a bit less on RWD. You can see what your rated consumption is by pressing the tabs menu and open energy - then consumption and drive with the same consumption around the line that says "typical" - then it will show you the typical consumption value(otherwise is just a line)

Now, here comes the fun part. At 499/500km rated* 15.3Wh/100 km we get a standard rated pack of around 76.5 kWh that Tesla is using for their calculation. Well, cell chemistry doesn't work like that - not all packs are exactly identical. Most have around 77 some even 78kWh. So, if you got lucky and have a 78kWh out of the box or close, you have around 1.5% degradation until you even get to your rated miles of 310 on screen.

The next thing you have to keep in mind is that depending on the battery temperature there will be slight deviations in capacity kWh, jumping up and down.
And also rounding errors because there is almost 1% difference from 89.6% to 90.4%( it is the same 90% on display).
And now you see how you go from 0% degradation to almost 3% degradation:)

You can follow uncle Bjørn's advice and do a 100-5% drive test and see how much kWh you can pull , the drive needs to be constant and around the rated typical of 245Wh/m. But then you will still only guestimate, because you do not know how many kWh your battery was initially. But you will at least have a new base value in kWh, which you can use for further calculation of degradation.

And It is actually better to change your system UI to km, because there is even bigger discrepancy in miles, which you can't measure due to miles being roughly 1.6* than km.

So this will add almost 4% total difference if you measure degredation in rated miles instead of KMs (taking into account the other things I mentioned)

So there you have it. You can hardly measure degradation in rated miles. Especially if Tesla changes the rated miles from update to update or change something else in the voltage reading
But the bottom line is, if you are getting close to 495-500km on AWD and 520 on RWD
(change to KM, quick, do it noow(with Arnold's voice)!) at 100%, you will be fine. Even around 490 on AWD and 510 on RWD should be ok after 20,000 miles.

You still have degradation as anyone else, but it is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
battery_violin_1.png

Source: https://www.maadotaa.com/firmwares
More discussion: Compare your full range with other Model 3 cars : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just over 22k miles, LR RWD. Info below from Teslafi.com

High Range Current Range Range Loss Percent Loss
314.86 312.19 2.67. 0.86

Not sure how your math works. Nor what high range vs Current range is.

But... My math says

314.86 (out if 325) is 3% degradation
312.19 (out of 325) is 4% degradation

On LR RWD (325 reference). Not great, not terrible, but depends on if that a single measurement or an average.

Your car hopefully will settle down on degradation now.

My AWD 3 had around 1.3% degradation after 1 year and 10K miles. 306 out of 310. That was only based a one 100% charge though. Could get better or worse but I never had a large jump down or up. The 4 100% charges I did each dropped about 1 mile every ~3 months.

That's a great chart from the Stats developer. I wish it had some horizontal lines though, even having one line at 310miles would help! I've been holding up sheets of paper to my computer screen! Either way, the long-term trend is for degradation.

Just eyeballing 12k miles, or around 1 year of driving, seems to show estimated range above 300 miles, maybe 303 miles? So, around 2% degradation, which I think is in the ballpark for the Models S and X, which showed around 2.5% degradation after a year, in the data I've seen.

No, not yet. In fact I lost another full percentage point overnight. 9500 miles and 4.3% loss of range. Max range now is 298 out of 310. Yes I have had updates. I’m on 32.12.1View attachment 465232
Dual motored didn't get the 325 mile range bump, did they? Your chart looks extreme, but that's partly due to the scale on the Y axis starting at 295 miles. It still could just be BMS error.

Not sure how your math works. Nor what high range vs Current range is.

But... My math says

314.86 (out if 325) is 3% degradation
312.19 (out of 325) is 4% degradation

On LR RWD (325 reference). Not great, not terrible, but depends on if that a single measurement or an average.

Your car hopefully will settle down on degradation now.

My AWD 3 had around 1.3% degradation after 1 year and 10K miles. 306 out of 310. That was only based a one 100% charge though. Could get better or worse but I never had a large jump down or up. The 4 100% charges I did each dropped about 1 mile every ~3 months.

I never got the mythical bump to 325 so I still consider 310 as 100%. Can't really degrade from something you never had.

The "High" and "Current" range numbers are estimates from Teslafi.

Fwiw, my lifetime efficiency is a little over 220 Wh/Mile.