Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Dissuasion?

Q1-2017 earning call reinforces that Model 3 is inferior to Model S. How does this affect you as a?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
During Q1-2017 earning call, Tesla just want the public to know that comparing with Model S, Model 3:

has less range
has less power
has less cargo room
has fewer features
is smaller

And Elon Musk said:

"do not think that Model 3 is somehow superior to Model S"

In addition to above, we already know that there won't be a traditional Instrument Cluster in front of a driver but instead of having 2 displays in Model S, you'll have only one to cover everything.

So have all this negativism on Model 3 has made think about canceling its reservation yet?

There's already another similar thread:

Elon "Anti-Selling"

But I thought I could bring it to this Model 3 subsection and have a poll as well.

Thanks,

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
IMHO, expecting Model 3 to be superior in any way than Model S with less than half of its price, is just ridiculous.

It's just like selling BMW 7 series first, and then launching smaller, more affordable 3 series after. Don't know why people are having almost shameless expectation for Model 3.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my reservation and I know it'll be an awesome car. However if I had enough money for Model S, I'd go for it instead.

Last edited:
The price of the Model 3 is precisely why it's superior to the Model S. Further, the core features of the Model S will be present on the Model 3, and that is why this debate exists.

I wouldn't call it 'superior' because the price is cheaper.

Screenshot_20170504-221705~01.png

Screenshot_20170504-221942.jpg

And this is why I don't think there's any more debate needed about it. I'd like to be realistic.

This is absolutely absurd for so many reasons.

First of all, if you put even brief research in before deciding on a car purchase, you'd be well aware that the 3 is supposed to be simpler/cheaper than the S (and if you don't, why aren't you doing extensive research before making $35k+ purchases?).

Second, if you were vaguely aware of this fact, yet still find yourself concerned about Tesla's constant attempts to downplay this car, consider this: If there is even the slightest chance they could convince you to buy an S today instead of waiting for the 3, that's a win for Tesla. They get money in the bank as opposed to another name on a list that won't be fulfilled for years. In fact, the most likely reason for downplaying the 3 now is that once it's released and the proverbial cat is out of the bag, my guess is that it will be an incredible car with just a few less bells and whistles than the S at half the price. They know this is going to happen, so the longer they can shift demand away from the 3 and onto the S and X, the better from Tesla's POV.

This is an irrelevant poll as members of this forum are going to be well aware of the model 3 capabilities vs. Model S.

To be quite honest, anyone who considered that new information was extremely uninformed, so much so that it seems almost impossible that such a person would even be aware of or care about Tesla's quarterly results meeting.

Reactions: CTreast
@sg021

While your particular reasons may be unrelated, the stuff of your signature is exactly why Tesla is shouting this from the rooftops.

sg021 said:
Cancelled - Model X Reservation 133xx
Made - Model 3 Reservation

I wish they didn't have to resort to badmouthing their own product, though. There has to be a better way. We don't see Audi telling us how crap A4 is compared to the A8.

I just don't see how anyone on this forum or not would think a 35k car is better than a 75k car from the same manufacturer. The only thing better is it's more affordable. I'd take an S any day of the week over a 3 if the price was the same.
Makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
The more interesting question is, would a new Model 3 be superior to a "version 1" Model S ?

Probably.

And that's the thing, again. Your Signature too is sort of a problem for Tesla:

deonb said:
Model S P85 - VIN 4601. Nissan Leaf 30kWh. Model 3's reserved x 2.

Model S has attracted a lot of people who have been buying more expensive cars than they otherwise would due to lack of large-battery BEV options. Model X is arguably not doing its share in picking up the slack. And early Model 3 production probably is not that high-premium, as the initial costs can be expected to be higher and efficiencies lower than in the longer term - and as the queue is long, turning those reservations into cash will take a while.

A lot of Tesla's revenue stream and margins they need for investments and appeasing the market, thus, are tied into current Model S sales, where more and more typical Model S customers (who are an atypical bunch in and of itself) actually find Model 3 an appealing alternative and are willing to wait for it, instead of buying a Model S now. Those with older Model S cars won't see Model 3 as a downgrade either, enough has gotten better. They will take a good hard look at what features they really need and what not.

Maybe it is time Tesla starts advertising and discount campaings. The negative/reverse marketing tricks and quarterly games probably should not go on forever.

To the OP.

I think the word "inferior" is borderline.

All of the features that the Model 3 will have will be "identical" to the S/X. It just won't have as many. And I don't know that the ones that won't be there are deal breakers. For goodness sake AP will be there and some form of Ludicrous.

No Self Presenting Door Handles........lol. I can certainly deal with that.
No Air Suspension....lol I can deal with that.
No Dual Screen? lol I can deal with that

You would have to be insane to think that a $35K car would have the same features as a $150K P100D.

I just don't see how anyone on this forum or not would think a 35k car is better than a 75k car from the same manufacturer. The only thing better is it's more affordable. I'd take an S any day of the week over a 3 if the price was the same.
Makes no sense at all.

Depends on what you compare to. Many people cross-shop premium cars in different size-categories for example based on model age, performance, size and various other reasons. Model age is a big part of that. A new model is new, old is old, even if they are in different categories.

Model 3 will be the latest thing from Tesla. New is new. And no matter how one wants to spin it, it will quite likely be a better car than my old Model S was from 2014. Had I been in the market for a sedan replacement, a new Model 3 would not have necessarily felt like a downgrade at all.

In fact, I fully expect the Model 3 to be better than my Model X (Q1/2017) in some ways too. It is only logical it might include some improvements that an earlier car would not. Perhaps the charge port is one area. So, waiting to see what those things are before ordering a Tesla might be wise for the consumer - and terrible for Tesla...

Reactions: Big-T
@sg021

While your particular reasons may be unrelated, the stuff of your signature is exactly why Tesla is shouting this from the rooftops.

Ha, I guess it could come off that way without context. The X would have been for me, and ultimately I bought a GL instead. My reservation was the victim of the "production hell" that I no longer could wait on, and that the third row on the GL is a lot more spacious.

The 3 is for my wife. She'd like something small that can fit kids in the back better than her current ride. The car seat pics seemed promising, but we'll have to see for ourselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
As a matter of fact. I think I'm going to love the minimalistic flavor of the Model 3's interior more than the Model S.

I can't wait to see how I'm going to modify it. If it wasn't for that beautiful all glass roof....I might be thinking about a nice chandelier.

And be the simplicity part as it may, Model 3 will make Model S/X start looking their age even more. They will no longer look like the latest and greatest, no matter if they sort of are.

That matters to some buyers.

There is one thing the Model S nor the Model X won't EVER have that the Model 3 will and that's the smaller coefficient of drag.

Another thing the Model S and X will never have that the Model 3 will have is the weight loss program. I don't know how much lighter the Model 3 will be, however that's going to constitute for something.

Reactions: Lunarx
I'm one of those that grabbed the S60(last July) while waiting for the 3. My S is as perfect a car you could own and an awesome luxury cruiser. The 3 is far smaller(obviously) won't have all the bells and whistles standard and would assumingely have a small car ride. That doesn't make it a bad car but far different from the S and X. Anyhow, there is no way I'm pulling my 3 reservation.