Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Efficiency (Battery-to-Wheels)

What is your Model 3's lifetime average battery-to-wheels Wh/mile efficiency?

• 0-159 Wh/mile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 160-179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180-199

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 200-219

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 220-239

Votes: 87 39.4%
  • 240-259

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • 260-279

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • 280-299

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 300-319

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • 320-339

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ≥340

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re a Model 3 owner, please let us know what kind of average battery-to-wheels efficiency you’re seeing. (“Battery-to-wheels” just means the Wh/mile number displayed on the trip meter.) If you've reset both trip meters and don't have a lifetime Wh/mile number to check, just give your best estimate based on what you've observed.

Also, if you have a very high or very low efficiency number, please post a comment with any particular reasons you think you might have for being an outlier.

Also^2, if you happen to measure the energy used from the wall/outlet/EVSE and can calculate your overall (wall-to-wheels) efficiency including charging losses, please post that number in a comment along with your battery-to-wheels number so we can get an idea for typical charging+vampire losses.

Thanks!

(I also posted an identical poll on the M3OC forum. Please only vote in one poll to avoid double-counting responses.)

Reactions: insaneoctane
230 Wh/mi at 3100 miles. Aero wheels. Moderate temps in SoCal.

All inclusive wall outlet consumption (in 10 weeks) per mile driven is 298Wh/mi. This would account for vampire draw, consumption when not moving (ie AC when stopped/parked), battery cooling/heating, and wiring/charging efficiency.

Yikes. 30% overhead. :(

But, just to clarify... what types of on-board energy consumption are actually excluded from the trip meter?

From what I've read, I'd agree vampire losses are not counted. And I think I also saw in a thread somewhere that pre-conditioning HVAC loads while the car is "off" aren't counted either.

But surely battery conditioning and HVAC loads while the car is on -- moving or not -- are counted towards the kWh consumption figures on the trip meter, right???

MVIMG_20180517_132127.jpg

Glad to see a thread on this. I've been amazed by the Model 3's efficiency with 18" wheels and covers. Some of the 250+ mile trips I've done at 65 mph have significant elevation gains (such as San Jose to Reno and Boise to Winnemucca), and I'm still ending up 40-50 miles to spare. It would be interesting to see how far the car can go on a flat course at 65 mph on a windless day in the 70s - I'm guessing it's well over 350 miles.

Really depends on your local weather. Here in New England, I was getting over 360 on trips during the Winter. Now that a mild Spring is here, I'm getting 200 for the exact same trips. My current lifetime is 300, and dropping fast (it was 320 two weeks ago). Need at least a year's worth of seasons to really know.

Wow mine is not efficient at all... Im the only 280-299 vote. Although I do commute 90% of my driving at 80Mph with the heater or AC running to keep the interior at 68 degrees. Aero wheels with the covers off.

Part of my commute is similar to yours and I have the same poor efficiency on this leg.
The return trip is slower and more efficient, bringing my average down to 250-260.

Speeds over 65mph seem to cause efficiency to drop a lot.

Wow mine is not efficient at all... Im the only 280-299 vote. Although I do commute 90% of my driving at 80Mph with the heater or AC running to keep the interior at 68 degrees. Aero wheels with the covers off.
I am not a fan of the aero covers (mine were removed at delivery) but 90% at 80 MPH....You would likely actually see a measurable difference.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Oh, I did a 100-mi round trip at 80mph, no HVAC, and I averaged 254 Wh/mi. Ambient was around 60F.

I usually stay around 70mph on the interstate, but this particular morning, I saw a Model S, so I decided to keep up with it.

My lifetime number is 214 Wh/mi and dropping. As someone else mentioned, cold weather driving in New England with heater on pushed the average up.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Although many trips are on Houston freeways, my commute is typically a lot of surface streets with many traffic lights, so I do a lot of stop and go. I'm seeing 240-250 Wh/mi average in 2500 miles with 19" sport wheels.

One thing that makes a large difference for me on the stop-and-go portion is using chill mode. I can drop my morning commute from 250 Wh/mi to 210 Wh/mi using chill mode. It doesn't make any difference on freeway drives, though.

Part of my commute is similar to yours and I have the same poor efficiency on this leg.
The return trip is slower and more efficient, bringing my average down to 250-260.

Speeds over 65mph seem to cause efficiency to drop a lot.

I have noticed this too. On my way home when there is no traffic my consumption is very high. On my way to work when there is some traffic, slower speeds, and the ability to get a slight draft going behind traffic I get way better consumption. It averages pretty high still though.

I am not a fan of the aero covers (mine were removed at delivery) but 90% at 80 MPH....You would likely actually see a measurable difference.

I did a very long test of my consumption with the aero covers on VS off for my commute and saw about a 4% difference if I remember right. Not enough for me to use the aero covers for commuting. Just looks so much better with them off.

Reactions: android04