Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Efficiency (Battery-to-Wheels)

What is your Model 3's lifetime average battery-to-wheels Wh/mile efficiency?

• 0-159 Wh/mile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 160-179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180-199

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 200-219

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 220-239

Votes: 87 39.4%
  • 240-259

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • 260-279

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • 280-299

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 300-319

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • 320-339

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ≥340

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
225 Wh/mile lifetime efficiency over 3000 miles.
Aero wheels without the covers. We got the car in February. If we didn’t have the couple of cold/snowy months we would be down around 210.

Highway driving around here (when I can find one that isn’t under construction) is 65mph.

My daily commute is on local roads and semi-highways where 30-50 mph speeds are typical. I voted for 200-219 which is where it falls when using the heat or A/C but when I just use the fan, I often pull into the parking lot at work or my driveway with 180 Wh/mile efficiency.

Reactions: Arpe
Has any racers or lead-foot drivers been able to keep above 300 Wh/mile for lifetime efficiency? Thanks!
The poll has no entries above 300 yet...

Ha. Yeah... I definitely didn't expect such a narrow band of votes when I originally created the poll. I figured there were be more outliers. Every vote so far has been in the 200-300 Wh/mile range except for one person in the M3OC poll that reported <200 Wh/mi. (Although I bet if this was winter time, we'd see some higher numbers.)

Here are the combined results from the TMC and M3OC polls thus far:

2018-06-14 11-04-56_Tesla Model 3 Battery-to-Wheels Efficiency Poll Results - Google Sheets.png

I drove through the city of Abq, NM to charge up the car for a trip tomorrow ... and to get some data on charging rates.
A/C on the return trip set at 73F driving into the sun and to cool off the car after sitting at the Supercharger.
Light traffic, no friction braking, some regen. 27 miles total.
R/t energy consumption was 157 Wh/mile = 6.37 miles/kWh

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe and tracksyde
For the first 3200 miles with regen at low and a third of the miles at ~75 mph, it was around 284 wh/mile. After I switched to standard regen, the efficiency for the last 600 miles increased to ~230 wh/mile (very little freeway miles). So, two reasons for the efficiency increase, higher regen and less freeway miles.
I have a love/hate thing going with regen:

Love, because it is so much better than friction braking;
Hate, because ~ 40% of my of kinetic energy is lost to heat

Since my traffic and driving habits usually let me coast down to the speed I want I find that the low regen setting gives me better fuel economy. The high regen setting interferes with my coasting. Perhaps with time my foot would learn how to coast at will in the high regen setting but it sure is not true for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
I have a love/hate thing going with regen:

Love, because it is so much better than friction braking;
Hate, because ~ 40% of my of kinetic energy is lost to heat

Since my traffic and driving habits usually let me coast down to the speed I want I find that the low regen setting gives me better fuel economy. The high regen setting interferes with my coasting. Perhaps with time my foot would learn how to coast at will in the high regen setting but it sure is not true for now.
My foot is mastering how to coast and time different traffic stopping distances. I would say that 1 month of ownership got me 90% effective on this subtlety.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush

Acknowledging that there may be some safety concerns with doing so... do any Tesla drivers shift into Neutral when they want to coast?