Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Efficiency (Battery-to-Wheels)

What is your Model 3's lifetime average battery-to-wheels Wh/mile efficiency?

• 0-159 Wh/mile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 160-179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180-199

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 200-219

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 220-239

Votes: 87 39.4%
  • 240-259

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • 260-279

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • 280-299

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 300-319

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • 320-339

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ≥340

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I have the highest consumption so far. Do I win a Not-A-Flamethrower as a prize?

I guess it doesn't help to have huge hills between my commute, flooring it whenever possible on highway ramps, flooring then using friction brakes coming out through my parking lot (straight line, no people or cars), blasting loud music, elevation changes, bunch of gadgets charging all the time, driving at 80mph when possible on highway, embarrassing muscle cars when given the chance, preconditioning often, having air while laying down inside car for hours, and having the air on at 64 degrees all the time.

I just got my windows tinted so hopefully that helps with my HVAC consumption, at least.

• Funny
Reactions: Arpe
With 18" aeros and 2700 miles, the Kwh/mile is 249 and Teslafi says the efficiency of charging is 87.5%. For very short charges it can be as low as 80% and for 40 KWH and up its more like 90%. The 87.5 is everything combined and with the car plugged in all the time at home but only charging after midnight. Portable Tesla EVSE on 40 amp circuit running around 30 mph most of the time.
So about 285 kWh/mile wall to wheels.
Probably 3/4 freeway but with significant stop and go episodes there. Low level AC or Heat usually.

With 18" aeros and 2700 miles, the Kwh/mile is 249 and Teslafi says the efficiency of charging is 87.5%. For very short charges it can be as low as 80% and for 40 KWH and up its more like 90%. The 87.5 is everything combined and with the car plugged in all the time at home but only charging after midnight. Portable Tesla EVSE on 40 amp circuit running around 30 mph most of the time.
So about 285 kWh/mile wall to wheels.
Probably 3/4 freeway but with significant stop and go episodes there. Low level AC or Heat usually.

Does the Teslafi charging efficiency number factor in power draws that don't get counted in the onboard Wh/mile figure, like vampire drain?

Does the Teslafi charging efficiency number factor in power draws that don't get counted in the onboard Wh/mile figure, like vampire drain?

Well for one thing it can't factor in the loss from the wall.... I'm seeing just under 90% efficiency from what Tesla thinks it is using and what is actually being delivered from my panel....

To my amazement, the Teslafi numbers seem quite accurate for consumption from the wall.
I can look at my consumption hour by hour on the SCE website.
My background consumption at night when I charge is very stable so any added consumption starting at midnight is due to the car.
The totals I get this way are always within 1 kWh of the numbers reported by Teslafi for the wall consumption when I'm doing larger charges (10 to 50 kWh) so I trust the Teslafi totals as well.

When the car sits for a day plugged in it seems to make a very small draw at its usual charging time, midnight as seen on both Teslafi and the SCE site. And I would expect that Teslafi would include that in the overall numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I see on page 1, I had posted that my lifetime average was 214Wh/mi. That was May 18.

Today (July 21), my lifetime average is 196Wh/mi. Total miles driven is around 4,300. 18" Aero wheels with caps on.

In various threads, I've mentioned that HVAC use is the biggest factor governing efficiency, setting aside driving style. cruising speed, aero caps, windows down, exterior temps, etc are less impactful than HVAC. And winter HVAC use is less efficient than summer HVAC use.

I'll admit that seeing great efficiency numbers from my car has motivated me to use my HVAC less. In my ICE, I'd just leave HVAC on auto all the time. With the 3, given that it's always activating either the A/C or the heater in auto mode, I will turn off the HVAC on the days where the weather is comfortable. I've even suffered through hot and cold rides just to test what the effects are on efficiency.

I received my Model 3 at the end of March, which means I'm currently in the half of the year that is more efficient in terms of HVAC use (more A/C, less heat). I anticipate my lifetime efficiency will drop a bit more up till around October, at which point my heater use will start to increase. And then the winter will really take a hit.

I'm very curious where my annual efficiency number will land.

Today (July 21), my lifetime average is 196Wh/mi. Total miles driven is around 4,300. 18" Aero wheels with caps on

Holy crap! Below 200 lifetime so far? We got our cars at basically the same time and my Model 3 just passed 4100 miles. My lifetime average is 252Wh/mi. I’ve got the same config as you but I regularly have the HVAC on and at most traffic lights I hit the accelerator pretty hard (I can’t help it). I’m sure my driving style is one of the main reasons I’m pretty high up there.

If I were getting below 200Wh/mi as well then my electricity costs for the whole year would be just a little over $300. In my Mustang that I traded in I’d eat through $300 in gas in less than 3 months!

Holy crap! Below 200 lifetime so far? We got our cars at basically the same time and my Model 3 just passed 4100 miles. My lifetime average is 252Wh/mi. I’ve got the same config as you but I regularly have the HVAC on and at most traffic lights I hit the accelerator pretty hard (I can’t help it). I’m sure my driving style is one of the main reasons I’m pretty high up there.

If I were getting below 200Wh/mi as well then my electricity costs for the whole year would be just a little over $300. In my Mustang that I traded in I’d eat through $300 in gas in less than 3 months!

if it's nice outside, turn off your HVAC. then track your next round trip, and gun it as usual. see what you get :D

And then the winter will really take a hit.
Yep, but you can mitigate the hit by keeping cabin heating down through use of hand gloves and the heat warmer.

I find that window fogging forces cabin heater use so I've started using RainX in our cars. I'm not sure yet if it helps and I'll have to convince myself that having drops of water trickle down the interior of the Model 3 windshield is not a problem.

Looks like most of the lower Wh/h posts are in white or silver cars with lower HVAC needs this time of year. I guess the situation might reverse in winter.

I would think interior color would matter way more than exterior color, especially with all the glass on Model 3. My midnight silver would hardly be considered a light color.

I have a love/hate thing going with regen:

Love, because it is so much better than friction braking;
Hate, because ~ 40% of my of kinetic energy is lost to heat

Since my traffic and driving habits usually let me coast down to the speed I want I find that the low regen setting gives me better fuel economy. The high regen setting interferes with my coasting. Perhaps with time my foot would learn how to coast at will in the high regen setting but it sure is not true for now.
This is where the paddle to trigger greater regen like on other EVs is nice. Ideally you’d be able to config it how you wanted - high regen all the time, high only wow paddles in and low otherwise, or low all the time.

Yep, but you can mitigate the hit by keeping cabin heating down through use of hand gloves and the heat warmer.

I find that window fogging forces cabin heater use so I've started using RainX in our cars. I'm not sure yet if it helps and I'll have to convince myself that having drops of water trickle down the interior of the Model 3 windshield is not a problem.
I wish that tesla would let you disable the heater just like you can disable A/C. Would be nice to have a pure vent mode without having to mess with the temp to make sure heat isn’t on. Doesn’t seem like a hard thing to implement.