Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Efficiency (Battery-to-Wheels)

What is your Model 3's lifetime average battery-to-wheels Wh/mile efficiency?

• 0-159 Wh/mile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 160-179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180-199

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 200-219

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 220-239

Votes: 87 39.4%
  • 240-259

Votes: 62 28.1%
  • 260-279

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • 280-299

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 300-319

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • 320-339

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ≥340

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery to wheels: 1289 mi, 271 kWh, 210 Wh/mi
Wall to wheels: 1289 mi, 311.2 kWh, 241 Wh/mi
I am very happy with these numbers. Love the car!

I have had my Model 3 11 days.

I'm jealous of your relatively small delta between your screen and wall Wh/mile numbers. Only 31 Wh/mile or 15% over the screen number. I'm averaging 54 Wh/mile or 24% over the screen number.

I suppose your relatively high 118 miles/day of driving accounts for a lot of the difference. More miles to spread out the daily vampire losses and longer charging sessions. I'm only driving an average of 51 miles/day.

Can you expound on how you're charging and how you're measuring the kWh from the wall? And is any Supercharging included in your figures?

I plug in my Model 3 to my Tesla charger when I arrive at home at the end of the day. Two 60 amp breakers with 6 guage wire. I charge to 80% capacity and have not used a supercharger yet. I never thought about driving more miles per day how it would affect the charging losses, but that makes a certian amount of sense for vampire losses. However for just general losses when charging it should not matter. I measure the output from my breakers with with an effergy E2 Classic energy monitor.
Wireless Energy Monitor E2 Classic with USB port | Efergy

~290 Wh/mi lifetime, 1119mi.
Performance Dual Motor with 20" Wheels, typical driving is city. No AP.
Round trip to work is ~270 Wh/mi; when on freeways I typically drive about 75-80 mph in So Cal.
Recently went on trip to watch Space X launch at Vandenburg and averaged probably around 310 Wh/mi for the whole trip.
Overall it's already a lot more efficient than the P85+ and only going to get better as the novelty wears off. If I start doing autocross however, it'll presumably spike up.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
~480 Wh/mi lifetime, 1450mi. P3D.
I do floor it all the time though and take it often to the mountains and push it to extremes almost always till battery overheats and goes to reduced power mode with 8 dots. Brakes are almost gone and tires are half gone. Boiled my brake fluid a few times. My full battery range is ~150 miles.

Range anxiety is an issue as the car is always wrong at predicting the remaining charge on destination or which supercharger I will be able to reach. What I end up doing is my own paper calculations because the car is so dumb that it can't calculate the estimated range using historical usage but instead uses rated usage. So lame. You know who's driving (profiles), you have past consumption data for said profile -- use it.

Last edited: