Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Model 3 License Plate Ideas

Which license plate should I get for my Model 3? (PLEASE NO STEALING!)

• R3V

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • TSLA R3V

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 75 80.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plate?
MODEL 3

Welcome to the forum! I also have the plate "MODEL 3" in Michigan. I don't want to derail ELRev's thread too much but eventually we should try and find all 50 US owners with that plate. I know that someone already has it in New York as well.

It's unfortunate that Massachusetts limits you to 6 characters. My Model 3 will likely be blue, so, in a nod to the original project codename, I was going to go with "BluStr" ("Blue Star")... but then realized that this would be printed on the plate as "BLUSTR", which most folks would read as "bluster", and there's already too much of that on the roadways here....

If 8 characters were allowed in my state "BLUESTAR" would be the plate for my second Model 3. I think in some states you can actually have a ★ character on the plate, so "BLUE ★" might be an option for some.

...here in Colorado, we have to mail in our requests to check if vanity plates are available. After a few weeks, I finally got confirmation that my 6th choice (second batch mailed in) was available.

You're serious? Mail as in letter, paper and pen? I thought it was 2016, not 1916 :p

We here otoh have a different problem. Even though we can check the availability of our favorite plates online in an instant, and reserve during the process, we can only reserve the plate for six weeks, after which we must either get the plate made and the car registered or we lose the reservation and the chosen plate goes back into the available-list. Therefor, over here delivery must be on the horizon, i.e. in less than six weeks. No chance with Model 3...

• Informative
Reactions: tony b
You're serious? Mail as in letter, paper and pen? I thought it was 2016, not 1916 :p

We here otoh have a different problem. Even though we can check the availability of our favorite plates online in an instant, and reserve during the process, we can only reserve the plate for six weeks, after which we must either get the plate made and the car registered or we lose the reservation and the chosen plate goes back into the available-list. Therefor, over here delivery must be on the horizon, i.e. in less than six weeks. No chance with Model 3...

Yes, unfortunately. First you have to print out the form and fill it out. You then mail in up to 5 choices. They check your choices in the order you list them on the form and as soon as they find an available one, they stop and send you a letter telling you that the one choice is available. You never find out if your other choices would've worked so you could decide between them. Once they mail you a letter indicating one of your choices is available, you have 30 days to mail them back a check. Once they receive the check, they produce the plate and send it to your county. You then have one year to claim the plate and transfer it to your vehicle.

I've seen other states allow you to instantly check for a plate online. It really wouldn't take much for Colorado to offer a vanity plate search site but I doubt they'll be setting one up any time soon. :(

In my first list of 5 choices, the last one, FN-2187, was available but I figured nobody would get it so I decided not to reserve that plate. I sent in another list of 5 choices and the first option was available. I ordered my plate a month or two ago but will wait and pick it up after I get my Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: tony b
Damn it. I can't shut my brain off.

What about "3VLV3"? EVOLVE, with obvious changes. It's symmetrical. Plenty of 3s. Less conspicuous. Easy to explain.

Even if I get the equivalent of a random license plate, I'm still gonna spend the next 2 years trying to come up with the perfect random collection of letters to serve as a "generic" license plate. I'm personally invested in every aspect of this car, and that feeling seems to extend even beyond the car itself.

It's going to be a long 2 years..

Damn it. I can't shut my brain off.

What about "3VLV3"? EVOLVE, with obvious changes. It's symmetrical. Plenty of 3s. Less conspicuous. Easy to explain.

Even if I get the equivalent of a random license plate, I'm still gonna spend the next 2 years trying to come up with the perfect random collection of letters to serve as a "generic" license plate. I'm personally invested in every aspect of this car, and that feeling seems to extend even beyond the car itself.

It's going to be a long 2 years..

I like EVOLVE, backwards it "EV"LOVE

Coming up with a license plate that isn't pretentious nor repetitive of the car model are more and more difficult. These don't work very well. I suggest going back to the drawing board. After looking at all of the sample plates for my state, I ended up with 54MPL3. It's generic to go onto any of my next cars.

Reactions: ELRev
LuvmyMod3.jpg

III
T3SLA
ROADS3X (What? I mean the different Tesla models.)
3VO LV3 (Says evolve but even more obscure to just look like a regular plate)

Thought of the first, second, and fourth. All taken. 3rd is funny but a little too on the nose for me.

It really is difficult to think of anything worth the time and the ensuing inevitable judgement one way or another. Still thinking though...

How do you reserve a license plate for a car you won't own for 2 years? I realize this probably varies from state to state, but it doesn't seem like AZ will let me.

In California, I'd be ordering it to put on my current car then transfer it to my Model 3. You have to keep it on a car for like 3 months or something, so theoretically, I could put it on my current car for 3 months then switch back to my current license plate. Not sure about the laws in Arizona.

Reactions: JetDriver05