Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Phone Key Failure Rate

How frequently does the "phone key" fail to work properly with your Model 3?

• 0-1% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • 0-1% failure rate, Android

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 2-10% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • 2-10% failure rate, Android

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • 11-25% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 11-25% failure rate, Android

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, Android

Votes: 34 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reminds me of the early days of the phone App. It was years before the Android version reached feature/reliability parity with the iPhone one. It seems Tesla still employs the same single intern working on weekends to compile the Android key compared to the experienced iOS team.

• Funny
Reactions: dwolvin
To add my experience to the thread. I use a Galaxy S8+. I have had 100% success with using the phone as a key since I picked up the car on Saturday. I have not had to use the keycard once nor have I had any delays when opening the car.

I have a Galaxy S7 (android 7.0.0), and a couple of days ago, I turned on "Maximum Performance Mode." It increases the screen resolution and brightens the screen by up to 10%, as well as turning off the processor throttling, but I think it also keeps the Bluetooth Low Energy beacon (which, I believe is what the Model 3 uses for the key) from shutting off after being idle for too long. Without it, every couple of hours I either have to open the app or turn Bluetooth off altogether and turn it back on. But Since turning on "Maximum Performance Mode," I haven't had a single issue using my phone as the key. I was also able to manually keep the screen's resolution at 1920x1080 and instruct the phone not to brighten the screen. I have noticed minimal increase to my phone's battery drain (maybe 5-10%), but it's worth it to get my bluetooth key to finally operate correctly.

Anyone else seeing this Behavior with maximum battery mode? Perhaps there's a way to adjust this specifically only for the Bluetooth radio?

Last weekend I experienced the car letting me start it with the phone outside the car as in the Consumer Reports test.

I was streaming music from my iPhone to my garage stereo and my phone was on my workbench. I got in the car, it started up, and I was able to drive it outside the garage to wash it. I didn’t even realize I didn’t have a “key” in the car until I went back over to my workbench.

While I’m pretty tolerant of tech things like this and haven’t had any issues with the phone key preventing me from driving I would prefer a fob be available even if only for purchase as an accessory.

I’m under the impression that the Model X key is actually a BLE device and I don’t see any reason why that couldn’t be an alternate solution.

As it stands now it certainly seems like iPhone is the best way to go if you want good luck with the key. While I detest Android I would sure be frustrated to need to leave an ecosystem for a car key.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Connect a Phone Key to unlock your Model 3 without ever taking your phone out of your pocket. We recommend the Phone Key as the primary method of accessing and starting your vehicle.

To connect your phone as Phone Key:

• Have your key card with you, and ensure your phone and Bluetooth are on and discoverable.
  • Open the Tesla mobile app and tap on “Phone Key”.
  • Follow the step-by-step instructions
When pairing is complete and within range of your Model 3, the Phone Key status will change to “Connected”.

Note: A paired Phone Key uses Bluetooth frequencies instead of a network connection to communicate with your Model 3. This means that if you’re parked in an underground parking garage with no cell signal on either your phone or your car, you can still lock, unlock, and start your vehicle without issue.

It is funny how the key card users bash us for having issues with our phone key. I put in bold print taken from Tesla’s website for current car owners. It states what we are suppose to be doing. Using our phone key as a primary way to access our model 3.

Now for the key card information that Tesla lists under my account for model 3 support.

Your Model 3 comes standard with two key cards for easy entry and operation. A key card is convenient for when your phone is not accessible, out of battery, or if someone else needs temporary access to your Model 3, such as a valet.

Tesla needs to add a couple of other reasons when your primary phone key access does not work in key card section ;)

Didn't read the entire thread, but are they working on fixing it so those poor souls like me with multiple Tesla's don't have to have the app on the correct car for it to work? If my app is on the S or X instead of the 3 it won't open...then I have to pull it out and fix it before it will open. Oh, the horror!

On another note, can they make a fob in the shape of the card with the same capabilities? Or is battery power essential for making that work? Or is it just a size issue? I'm obviously not an engineer.

I think it's more of a challenge to code an Android app that will perform well on all devices using that OS. It's a matter of assigning a higher priority on a top tier Android app. It's great that the i-app works so well, I just can't go with such a proprietary platform.

radio

I really don't know. I was expecting problems based on this thread. I have always kept BT turned on and I do use a BT smart watch so I don't know if that plays into keeping the BT radio more active.

That's probably it. Your smartwatch is probably pinging the BT on your phone often enough to keep it active, which allows it to respond faster to the car when it gets in range.

Reading this thread makes me a bit concerned as a model 3 reservation holder, I think this level of entry reliability is unacceptable for a mass market car, with no primary key-less entry fallback. Tesla makes exceptional electric cars, why tarnish the experience with something as unnecessary as making phone entry the only key-less entry method.

I'm personally fairly tolerant of bugs and fiddling with software. I'm a tech enthusiast and someone that tends to beta test software. I'm used to using android ROMs and have spent time chasing specific advanced features in software, yet I still think that a highly priced, mass market consumer product needs to have a 99+% success rate for something as commonly used as keyless entry. To me, this is a great example of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Include the app as a key by all means, but Tesla needs to have a more traditional BT LE fob as an option for those that want the system to 'just work'.

I'm already anticipating the embarrassment of showing my new (expensive) car to my friends and family and having to toggle flight mode or screw around just to get the door open, When their $5000 used Hyundai has a proximity key that works every time. Not a good look.

Anybody who couldn't have predicted these problems as soon as this key system was announced lives in some sort of imaginary techno utopia where technology always works as the designers intended. High tech systems are usually the opposite of highly reliable systems. Your car key needs to be highly reliable. Surely someone at tesla knows this too. It worries me that maybe elon has people around him who are afraid to tell him when an idea is bad or not worth the techno-trouble. Same thing that led to too many robots on the assembly line. Some realist need to tell the imagineers what is realistic and what isn't.

Last edited:
This is not difficult, use reliable latest phone or carry the card with you. This will ensure that you can show it and use it without any issues. :)
I will assume that this is a joke, as I can see the majority of people would expect that if the app installs, it works. Your average car buyer doesn't know what a bluetooth 4.1+ is. The card, yes, it always works, but it's not keyless entry. It's no more convenient than a key barrel to me.