Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model 3 Phone Key Failure Rate

How frequently does the "phone key" fail to work properly with your Model 3?

• 0-1% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • 0-1% failure rate, Android

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 2-10% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • 2-10% failure rate, Android

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • 11-25% failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 11-25% failure rate, Android

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, iPhone

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • 26%+ failure rate, Android

Votes: 34 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multiple times the android phone has unlocked the car and then the car required the card only 10 seconds later to drive. Why would communication be lost when entering the car? Certainly my phone did not change unless the car did something to the app. Has Elon been twittered about the phone failure? Was it present on the first employee cars or if added later, when?

This is the one situation I haven't figured out how to workaround yet. I've been able to almost entirely solve the problem of getting the phone to be recognized as the key to open the doors without ever needing the key card, but now I'm seeing this exact same bug appear after entering the car with the phone key. What's strange is that sometimes the phone connects to the MCU by Bluetooth (can make calls and stream music), but it isn't being recognized as the key to allow the car to drive.

Last edited:
I hope it gets even more reliable for you.
90% can be frustrating, because you really expect it to work (and then it doesn't)

I don't know if you have recently, but I'd try rebooting, too. It helped my phone work better as a key when I was trying to get it up from 20% success (although not nearly as much as the removal and reassociation)
Thank you for the rebooting help. Yes I have done this also..hence the 90% rate.

This is the one situation I haven't figured out how to workaround yet. I've been able to almost entirely solve the problem of getting the phone to be recognized as the key to open the doors without ever needing the key card, but now I'm seeing this exact same bug appear after entering the car with the phone key. What's strange is that sometimes the phone connects to the MCU by Bluetooth (can make calls and stream music), but it isn't being recognized as the key to allow the car to drive.
There must be another higher level of security required to drive, a different mode than unlock. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work. Mine will unlock the doors, but not be found when pairing for media.

Software update for Tesla app received on Monday night solved the problem for me. When I saw the update, I thought I would give it a try as I was missing my android phone and sure enough it worked. My Android phone (Nexus 6) has worked flawlessly since the update. I am shelving the old iPhone 6 (which also worked well) and going back to the Nexus. Thanks, Elon or whoever.....

Software update for Tesla app received on Monday night solved the problem for me. When I saw the update, I thought I would give it a try as I was missing my android phone and sure enough it worked. My Android phone (Nexus 6) has worked flawlessly since the update. I am shelving the old iPhone 6 (which also worked well) and going back to the Nexus. Thanks, Elon or whoever.....
Funny, that update actually broke my phone key. I had to remove and re-add it after the update to use it at all. Then it works about 70% of the time compared before the update (on android, google pixel)

• Informative
Reactions: JES2

Thank u for telling me about the update!,

You're welcome!

Have you rebooted the car, as well? That might help, too...

(IIRC, it's hold the brake pedal and press both scroll wheels, simultaneously)

Yes I did.

I did post the walk through with a Tesla rep.regarding connectivity. This got me a higher success rate. Also he stated to keep the app updated. Thank you again.

I also posted the app was updated under the ui section of the forum. Just in case there are people like me that do not update their apps.

I posted a thread under that post stating why I am still having issues with phone connectivity that happed to me today.

Last edited:
Multiple times the android phone has unlocked the car and then the car required the card only 10 seconds later to drive. Why would communication be lost when entering the car? Certainly my phone did not change unless the car did something to the app. Has Elon been twittered about the phone failure? Was it present on the first employee cars or if added later, when?
I've had this happen a few times recently too.

Car unlocks as soon as I grab the handle, but when I try to shift out of park it tells me I need my key..

With latest software the car unlocks automatically about 2/3 of the time (iphone SE). If it doesn't, I reach into my pocket and press the phone's button, which usually solves the problem. If that doesn't work, I pull the phone out and turn bluetooth off, then on. Have not needed to get the key card out yet.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
As the battery of your phone gets lower the power management policies become more aggressive and bluetooth is not advertising for longer periods of time. (the same behavior is seen on BT door locks for example)

as my battery gets low in my phone I might try to go to my car to charge the phone...

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza,
There's a hole.

ARGHH!!! iphone 7 key stopped working for the umpteenth time in the 3 weeks i've had the car. its the small stuff like this that starts to grate on me and is ruining the unique experience of the car. my BMW in-pocket fob worked 100% of the time. would any other premium car brand owners stand for this???

Tesla, do you read the forums??? not nice to keep ticking off your owners. make a fob that works for the M3.

Reactions: jsmay311
80% of the time it works on my Galaxy S8. Stangely enough.. the times when it doesn't work.. I have to pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock my phone. once I do.. the car will let me in 99% of the time.

95% of the time the walk away lock feature works... but the extra 5% is troublesome because idk when the car will and will NOT lock... Im constantly looking back to make sure the mirrors fold...

This is depressing. So, out of all android users that responded, 52.3% (MOST!) have a failure 25-100% of the time? That's not acceptable. My only hope is that the poll is skewed because android users are used to going on the internet for help, so android users who have problems are more likely to end up here, where iPhone users are typically not as tech-saavy (on average) and call on their "geniuses" for help and might not be as likely to end up here if something goes wrong? You probably wouldn't end up here unless you were searching for Model 3 phone unlock failure, right?

Anyway, for those of you Android people who are having problems, Tasker is an android-only app that can perform many automation tasks. One thing that it can do is when the phone sees a bluetooth device (your Tesla), it can automatically turn your bluetooth off, wait a second, then turn it back on. You could do the same for airplane mode. If doing these things manually gets the car to unlock, you can set up Tasker to do this for you and you can just leave it in your pocket and it should only add a second or two delay (no fiddling with your phone). Should greatly decrease the failure rate. I don't have my model 3 yet, but if my phone doesn't work without airplane mode or bluetooth toggling, this is my plan. Been using Tasker for years. Its a great app and well worth the cost. I don't think there is a similar iPhone app.

This is depressing. So, out of all android users that responded, 52.3% (MOST!) have a failure 25-100% of the time? That's not acceptable. My only hope is that the poll is skewed because android users are used to going on the internet for help, so android users who have problems are more likely to end up here, where iPhone users are typically not as tech-saavy (on average) and call on their "geniuses" for help and might not be as likely to end up here if something goes wrong? You probably wouldn't end up here unless you were searching for Model 3 phone unlock failure, right?
Anecdotally there have been many reports of iPhones working more successfully than Android. Technically it makes sense since the hardware and software are much less fragmented, and iOS mostly prevents applications from interfering with each other (while Android gives applications much more freedom to interact, and interfere, with the OS and other apps).

As for your other comments, the vast majority of all smartphone users are going to fall into the same "non-technical savvy" category. Calling iPhone users less savvy than Android users just shows your own bias.