Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Model 3 reservation holders: Would you get the S/X instead if you could?

Model 3 reservation holders: Would you get the S/X instead if you could?

• I would prefer the S or X, but I cannot comfortably afford it.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • I would prefer the S or X and could afford it, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $ on a car

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because of its size.

Votes: 56 33.7%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because of its minimalistic interior.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X primarily because I believe it is currently the most advanced Tesla

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I prefer the 3 over the S/X for a different reason.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't necessarily prefer the 3, but I already have an S/X, so I want to branch out.

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I have a 3 reservation, but I will probably cancel.

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I do not have a 3 reservation, but I like participating in surveys.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain that? I see 50.4 percent saying they can't afford it or could afford it but don't want to spend that much -- which is a majority. 30 percent say the size of the Model 3 tips it in their favor. The other seven categories are less than 20%.

So price seems to be the major barrier, followed by size, followed by "everything else."
The numbers shifted after I posted the above comments. At the time that I said that, the 2 price-based responses together accounted for less than the non-price responses (excluding the last 2 response options). That's what I get for commenting on an ongoing poll - I probably should've summarized all the numbers at the time of my post but didn't even think of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
I would rather have the larger size of the S however even the used prices with AP 2 are out of my price range. I'm pushing my budget to get a 3. I'm used to driving F250 work trucks so size of the S isn't a concern. I will be keeping an eye on used S with AP 2 prices just before I configure my 3 just in case the prices fall enough in that short time for me to change my mind.

It occurs to me that my earlier post only discussed the 3 vs the S. I did also test drive an X but my deeply-set hatred of SUVs was not shaken and the things I did like about it were overshadowed by the size and the gimmicky doors. ;) I'd conceptually buy one for my GF if I wanted to burn that kind of money on her but I wouldn't use it myself.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
Size, just size!
Since we loaned Elon $1000 my wife and I have gone back and forth on getting an S. First she thought it was a good idea and I told her it was too big to fit in the parking lot at our gym or trader Joe's. Then I came around to thinking we could live with that inconvenience, but she didn't want to. So around and around we have gone and stayed with the 3.

And a clincher came when my trainer at the gym lamented that he had lost a client because the guy bought a P100D and wasn't comfortable parking at the gym so he quit the gym.

The prices on the S seem to be constantly dropping but for me they are still priced just outside of my comfort zone. So, right now I'd vote the second option. According to Tesla my Dual Motor Model-3 date range is Oct-Dec 2018 and I suspect S prices will have continued to drop. Regarding my Model-3, I am anticipating ordering every option possible (except possibly the wheels) and expect to pay in the mid-70's. That's not too much less than what I can get right now for a low mileage P90D with Auto Pilot-1 and Ludicrous. So, If the prices can come down just a bit more then it may be the S and not the 3. Only time will tell...