Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model S/X owners with Model 3 Reservation

Trading down for Model 3?

• Yes, Model S/X Lease return or trade-in for Model 3

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Yes, Private sale of Model S/X to purchase Model 3

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • No, I am keeping my S/X and getting one Model 3

Votes: 74 55.2%
  • No, I am keeping my S/X and getting Two Model 3's

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • No, I am keeping my S/X and getting Three or more Model 3's

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Yes, but only if FSD and the Tesla Network is not ready.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not decided yet.

Votes: 33 24.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wondering for a while now what is scaring Tesla as it relates to people thinking Model 3 preservationists are going to dump the S for the model 3 when it came out and thought, what a great poll question because so many reservation holders and owners frequent these forums. I want to focus on Model S/X owners who have reservations for the model 3 and are intending to trade down. Please spread the word about this poll so that we can get a decent response rate. My vote is that I am keeping my X and getting a single model 3.

I chose "I have not decided yet.", though most accurate would be "No, I am keeping my S/X and maybe getting one Model 3". The other alternatives for Model 3 are the Jaguar I-Pace, Audi e-tron quattro or e-tron Sportback or waiting for something else.

My Model S purchase was a stretch at the cost 3X my previous most expensive car price, if Model 3 was available at that time I certainly would have bought that instead. However, my reserved Model 3 purchase will not replace the S, it will be my wife's car replacing the iMiev (now 5 years old, will be 6+ by the time I get the 3) while I keep the S.

• Love
Reactions: NicoV
Don't have a reservation but have considered replacing my very old Toyota Avalon with one since we are MS owners already. Might be nice to have a less expensive second car to take some places and "save" the MS for other times where we want to enjoy more comfort and need the capacity. Still I come back to liking the larger car and waiver between a CPO or maybe upgrading our MS with a larger capacity battery model and using our current MS as a second car. Do like the styling we've seen on the M3 and will most likely want to at least test drive one down the road before getting rid of my current old car.

I can say though that we'd never sell our MS for a M3. Enjoying it way too much even if it puts some money back in our pockets.

I chose "not decided", although we will definitely be getting a Model 3 for my wife. I'm just not sure if I will keep my S or if I will trade it for a 3. My S will be close to 100k miles around when my reservation should come up (and out of extended warranty). Debating if I should reset the warranty with a new 3 or hang in there with my S60 and see how it goes. Mine is an early S, so no autopilot (not even parking sensors!), so the 3 will be more advanced than my S. I do have unlimited free supercharging on my S though...I could go back and forth all day!

I chose "not decided" because I am not very swayed in Model 3's interior and lack of driver's screen.
Moreover, no Performance version and Dual motors options were letdown.

However, the price for 215+ miles Model 3 is definitely enticing.
Or I can make profit out of this. I reserved online 3/31 like 7:25pm (before the announced 7:30pm) and bought Model S, so I should be in early queue.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I chose "not decided" because I am not very swayed in Model 3's interior and lack of driver's screen.
Moreover, no Performance version and Dual motors options were letdown.

However, the price for 215+ miles Model 3 is definitely enticing.
Or I can make profit out of this. I reserved online 3/31 like 7:25pm (before the announced 7:30pm) and bought Model S, so I should be in early queue.

Well there will be a performance version on early 2018, does that change your mind about keeping your S once you can get a P75D? I'm not trying to be pushy just trying to determine if there is really am issue with existing owners teasing down. I like results so far and I love the people responding with a part when they haven't decided yet. It really gives great context to people's thought process. The numbers so far are encouraging.

I chose "not decided", although we will definitely be getting a Model 3 for my wife. I'm just not sure if I will keep my S or if I will trade it for a 3. My S will be close to 100k miles around when my reservation should come up (and out of extended warranty). Debating if I should reset the warranty with a new 3 or hang in there with my S60 and see how it goes. Mine is an early S, so no autopilot (not even parking sensors!), so the 3 will be more advanced than my S. I do have unlimited free supercharging on my S though...I could go back and forth all day!

I think you need a P100D after all those miles, you have earned it. Go treat yourself!

My Model S purchase was a stretch at the cost 3X my previous most expensive car price, if Model 3 was available at that time I certainly would have bought that instead. However, my reserved Model 3 purchase will not replace the S, it will be my wife's car replacing the iMiev (now 5 years old, will be 6+ by the time I get the 3) while I keep the S.

Was wanting to ask this as well but wanted to keep it as pure as possible. Might have to do a couple more polls to really dial in on how the Tesla brand is really driving a shift in how people perceive value in a car. Clearly the Tesla had some but advantages amongst techies and environmental types.

I will be keeping the S until a 'P' model comes out with the 'new' batteries and a range >300 miles. May not happen.

I will be getting (3) model 3s for family, but two will be AWD, so that might require patience well into 2018/19

I'm not getting a Model 3. Why isn't there a poll option for that? lol. I just bought an $85,000 car im not about to buy a $35,000 lesser one.

The goal of this pool is to try to determine if there are a large number of current owners with one or more reservations for a 3 and what there intentions are one the 3 comes. Are they trading down, adding, adding multiple for family.

I do want to do a different poll related to people who might be putting off a model S/X purchase because they want to see if the 3 is good enough before they make there final choice. This is obviously a concern that Tesla has as proofed by the negative selling of the 3 recently.

I originally started with 3 reservation with no intentions of getting anything else. I couldn't wait and bought an X. Now I'm still holding my 3 reservation with the idea of having both for my family.

I did not think I wanted a car as large as a Model S, but last year I went ahead and leased a Model S for two years and really love it. We will get an AWD Model 3 next year when it comes out. My plan originally was to trade in the Model S for a second Model 3 ( P75D) when the lease is up, but now I am not sure -- I may decide to spring for a Model S instead. My son also plans to get a RWD Model 3 as soon as possible.

Do not own an s/x but given the option I would WAY rather own an S than a 3. I like...everything about it more. The look, the room, performance etc. Whether it's worth the price difference, well how hard that is to justify depends on your financial situation. For my current lifestyle none of tesla's vehicles make sense (until 2020), I need a truck and not considering selling stock to buy a second personal vehicle.

I have a reservation for a model 3, should probably reserve a second. Why?
Hoping for details or functioning tesla network before purchase, if the car can pay for itself in a year or two (dedicated taxi) it's a no brainer.
The immediate resale value could be greater than the purchase price with the immense backlog. Tesla network could drive the value of the car above what tesla sells them for.

If this stock helps me on my way a little to the point where I no longer need a truck for work, I would buy an S or roadster v2.
The 3 would not really be for my use.

(Also if I want to build a house in 2 years I'll have to put in a roof reservation soon :rolleyes: )

Just offering a different perspective. The 3 has tons of value. For some it may be an outstanding, safe, efficient vehicle that lasts for decades, for others it may be a passive income generator.

I don't really look at small cars and think much of them because they serve little to no practical value to me. Still have a soft spot for some supercars and an S fits the list for sure.

There isn't a poll answer for my situation. I had an S, reserved for a 3 just in case. Never sure about it, just wanted to loan the company the $1000, add a vote of confidence and wait and see if it was worth getting. I cancelled my 3 reservation and got a model X. I am not sure how many of us there are, but I was never really serious about my 3 reservation and kind of always planned on cancelling it. Tesla is not harmed by this, but there are probably a few of us.