Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: New lighted front T for Model X and facelift S: Smaller S size for savings or larger X size?

Size of Lighted Front T for Model X

• Same size as Model S but $100 less than X size

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Model X size without savings

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're working with manufactures in Hong Kong to create lighted front Ts for Model X and facelift versions of Model S. But the sizes and mounting systems for both are quite different, which will require additional molds and parts. In addition the Model X size will not fit in the available space in the Model S. However, we can realize substantial costs savings if we make both faces the same size as the Model S version. The photos below shows the size differences as well as the different structures and mounting points.

X%20and%20S%20Ts.jpg

T%20and%20X%20structure.jpg

These new versions will be face-lit, not side-lit like the versions for the nosecone Model S and the rear lighted Ts for both S and X. The surface will be chrome but when lit will be a bright white that with no pixelation. Here's a photo that somewhat crudely indicates the brightness and consistency of the light (which will be controlled by a remote than enables brightness control and several special effects).

DSC_7992.jpg

As producing one version with a minimum number of parts variations can substantially reduce costs for both versions, before we make the capital investment for molds and other parts we are interested in whether Model X owners would be willing to buy a smaller version that has the same size T face as the Model S version, but would attach to the Model X mounting points. The cost savings would be roughly $100 on an item that we estimate will retail for about $390.00. Thus the poll.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
At first I was leaning toward the bigger T. But I think with the pics, while the bigger T looks nicer, the smaller T isn't bad. I'd have to go with the smaller T to save $100, plus less work for you from having to stock 2 different sizes, and you'd likely sell more from the economics standpoint.

Would the smaller 'T' void Tesla's warrant? ;) <jk>

Aesthetically, I prefer the larger 'T' and would prefer to pay an extra $100 for it. However, I'm not interested in this mod at this time, so I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is. :)