TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: No-Option Performance vs. Fully Loaded AWD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EricUSC, Jun 27, 2018.

?

Which Model 3 configuration do you prefer?

1. No-Option Performance - $64k

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Fully Loaded AWD - $64k

51 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

A no-option Performance Model 3 is now the exact same price as a fully loaded AWD Model 3. Both are $64,000. Of the two configurations, which would you prefer?

NO-OPTION PERFORMANCE - $64,000
    Solid Black w/ Aero Wheels
    No EAP or FSD

FULLY LOADED AWD - $64,000
    Red or White Multi-Coat w/ Sport Wheels
    EAP and FSD

This is not a "which car should I get" poll as I know which I would prefer. Rather, it's just interesting to see the take rate of one over the other when people have a fixed budget.

2. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Depends how bad you want the white interior. EAP and FSD could be purchased later :)

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Easier to install a license key for EAP/FSD than putting in a better binned motor.

• Like x 1
  4. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Depends how bad you want the white interior. EAP and FSD could be purchased later :)
    Does the no-op performance come with Aero wheels? You could upgrade them to the sport wheels instead of the 20's no?

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Obviously the better value here is the fully loaded AWD version... which I get to see in the rear view mirror of the performance version. :cool:
    Choices, choices :p.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

You are either quicker than an iPace or a BMW M3

or you are not...

• Funny x 3
  7. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

Yes, 18" aero wheels are now standard on the performance model. There is a "Performance Upgrade" package that adds 20" wheels, performance brake calipers, carbon fiber spoiler, aluminum pedals and increased top speed from 145 to 155 mph. There is no standalone option for 19" or 20" wheels.

8. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I cant see how adding FSD and EAP makes them "equivalent" as both can be purchased later in time. Most people skip FSD anyways.

Realy is the 3.5second vs 4 second times a big deal to you? if you want to track the car then probalby yes, but otherwise no.
    I do wish White seats where standard options on both cars right now though with the 3-5 month wait.

9. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

I believe the take rate for FSD at $3k will be higher now that it'll cost $5k to upgrade after purchase and Elon Tweeted that FSD features will roll out beginning August.

10. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

Go performance! You can add EAP or FSD later but performance you can't!

• Like x 1
  11. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Having owned a car quicker than either, as well as one nearer the AWD Model 3 in quickness, in real life (ie not at a track) you notice or use that extra power about 0.1% of the time. Doesn't seem worth the roughly 20% price bump just for that.

If it comes out they're actually significantly upgrading the suspension then might be another story.

12. kaffine

kaffine Member

The extra performance would be nice but I would only get to use it a few times, the EAP functions I use during my long commute everyday. The standard performance is still better than any other car I owned.

I wan't patient enough for it to matter though as I got my car before pricing for AWD and performance was announced.

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

No doubt AWD M3 is best value. Most people don’t drive aggressively enough to use that extra performance. In fact it annoys me to no end seeing P100Ds getting out accelerated by Camrys at lights.

I push my 75D to the limit all the time so I would really enjoy what the PM3 will have to offer.

14. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Many, many years ago I had a motorcycle. A 750 Nighthawk, a "sport touring" that was long in the tooth even at that time. I enjoyed it, and pushed it for what it was at times, but I was never "racing" in any sense of the word.

One summer I'm visiting my parents and my brother visits with his CBR-600. I'd never tried out a cafe racer so he lets me take it out to the highway for a spin. This is a straight, flat highway with "Kansas" visibility and soft wide ditches so when I turn off the gravel road (obviously creeping) I decide to open it up and see what it'll do. As I'm shifting 3rd to 4th I glance down at the cluster. "Hmm" I think, "is that the tack? No, it appears I'm doing 160km/h .... and this feels ridiculously smooth. Like I'm the GD Silver Surfer just effortless gliding along." I ride a quick few miles further, turn around and return to my parents' yard.

I've never sat on a cafe racer since. I've got enough sense to know what'll get me in trouble, because no way it'd feel right not using what I was driving. I expect the M3 P represents just such a thing.

• Like x 1
  15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Well I’m not going to go 155 on a road with a limit of 50.

I’ll stick to 55 but get to 55 really really really quickly all the time. This is of course after scanning for those not yielding or running traffic lights.

Guide to traffic Lights in a Model P3
    green - go
    Yellow - go faster
    Red - regen braking

• Funny x 2
  16. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

I ordered the fully loaded AWD.

• Like x 1