Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: North-up or Heading-up

Navigation: North-up or Heading-up?

• North-up

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • Heading-up

Votes: 104 74.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my few irritations about the UI is the navigation always reverting to North-up after finishing or cancelling a trip. I'm a Heading-up person and would prefer it to stay that way. I've submitted a few bug reports asking for the last chosen setting to be retained.. no luck yet :)

Personally, I have no idea how you can drive this way. When I do this, I get lost, because my non-routed destination, or just general, where am I on the map becomes so confusing. All I know is the area right in front of me. If the road turns, then I have to figure out where I'm at again. This, I feel, is how people run off roads and into areas that hey shouldn't be, you never see the bigger picture.

Personally, I have no idea how you can drive this way. When I do this, I get lost, because my non-routed destination, or just general, where am I on the map becomes so confusing. All I know is the area right in front of me. If the road turns, then I have to figure out where I'm at again. This, I feel, is how people run off roads and into areas that hey shouldn't be, you never see the bigger picture.
Well if I'm in an area I'm not familiar with, I pretty much exclusively use nav to route me to a destination so no issues there.

My personal preference for "what direction am I going?" when not routing is to just glance at the compass on the map - which tells me exactly that when in heading-up mode. Things are just quicker and easier on my brain when the map is facing the same direction as the car.

I use heading up most of the time, that's my preference. And it irritates me to no end that it reverts to North up after Nav is finished.

However, I do use North up when I'm very zoomed out like for a long road trip segment. Gives me a better overall picture of the trip progress.

Reactions: Blue in NC
I initially thought I wanted north up, I don't know why. It didn't take long for me to realize it's just more practical to have heading up. Because I found myself never ever needing to know north, south, east, west.

I generally like north-up because I find it helps me get my bearings when I am in an unfamiliar location (which helps when I want to drive without nav), but it really confuses my wife if she is riding in the passenger seat because she only uses heading-up. I usually let it go into the default heading-up when it is navigating now.

Along the same topic of useful map features... (But first of all I'm a heading up person)

Some features I wish the maps had (basically just want it to be as good as the google maps app on the phone).
  • 3D buildings/terrain in google maps (just looks cool)
  • Compass orientation that's not tied to location (for example, when i'm not navigating I like to zoom out to see where I'm at. But often times I end up changing to the orientation a little bit while zooming out and try to tap North-up to get the map to line up North. But the map just zooms back in to my current location. Google maps doesn't do this. It just changes orientation but not the map location or zoom).
  • Show actual store/shop names when tapping on supercharger location (the supercharger location website shows this, e.g. there is Mcdonalds here, not just there is "food" here).
  • When navigating, pause music or lower volume, rather than just talking over it.
  • Option to add stops when planning route.
  • Show alternative routes that can be selected.
  • Google street view (really more a nice to have).