Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Now that they are increasing FSD from $3k to $5k, will you be purchasing it?

Will you be purchasing FSD during configuration now that the price will be increasing?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's possible but that would be pretty silly of me to say no to FSD at purchase but then decide 15 days later to purchase it for $1000 more. Sure it's possible, but it just doesn't make much sense.

At this point it's applicable to owners with up to 2 years under their belt.

More appropriately, Tesla could have easily said "you can buy for $3000 now, or you can buy for market price later, which can change. The current post-delivery price is $4000. It would have been very easy to do that.

That is exactly what I took it as, reading the order page and other public comments from Tesla/Musk. I can see reading something else into it but best to sift through full paperwork before asserting that that isn't what they said. If not explicitly then implicitly.

Reactions: rluciano
I will be adding FSD now if I can do it without impacting my delivery since I'm unable to modify on the site any longer. The straw that broke the camel's back was the surprise 1K discount on AWD this week. Adding an extra 2K in financing at very low rates right now is worth it versus having to drop 5K cash 6 to 12 months down the road when FSD adds enough features where I won't be able to contain myself and will pull the trigger anyways.

One of the big reasons I'm buying a Tesla over other automakers is that I believe I'm getting at least a level 3 autonomy future OTA upgrade out of a car I can buy this year. I'm making a 59K financial bet that this will be the case and this seems a reasonable all-in moment to add the 3K still in my hand to the pot.

Reactions: kbM3
I disagree. If the terms of my purchase were as you state, then the option should state "buy for $3K now or you can add later for the then current upgrade price." Why even list $4K if Tesla can change it at any time? There would be no reason. Ultimately, I may get screwed by this but I would certainly raise a stink about it (and yes, I understand that no one may listen if Tesla decides that they don't want to accept $4K to flip a switch). Again, relatively simple to me. "I am going to sell you this car, you can add this option right now for $3K or you can add it later for $4K." That was exactly the offer on the table. And I think that Tesla will honor that. They usually do the right thing. Right now it still shows as $4K for the FSD option.

They changed the price of the service plan and the extended warranty. Both prices were available for me to review at the time my S was purchased.

I elected to not do FSD as I think they will face lots of regulation hurdles in doing it in the near future. Eventually it will be allowed but it seems to have much resistance to the masses still. The tech will be a reality and soon as it has been proven functional already.

At some point, Tesla will have a lot of sunk cost in FSD and they will be looking at the large group that opted out over price and decide that it is a big chunk of free revenue they could have in their coffers for very little cost and lower the price. Tesla seems to like to test how high the market is willing to pay before coming to grips with reality. We see it in their CPO cars and in battery upgrades (60 KWH to 75 KWH and 70KWH to 75 KWH upgrades). Initially priced very high when really she battery and then dropped price for having a software switch flipped. The cost was sunk so better to get some revenue than no revenue.

Reactions: croman
Question is worded weirdly.

You understand that the price is still $3,000 during vehicle purchase?

If the question is "Now that Tesla is increasing the post-purchase price difference for FSB from $1000 to $2000, will you be including FSD in your initial purchase?"

Very unlikely. The feature they roll out in August would have to be blow-away amazing by itself, because I still don't have confidence Tesla (or anyone on the planet) is anywhere near [Level 5] FSD.
If they get to level 3 I’m happy.

And, as we have to point out, FSD isn't FSD. :D People think it means Level 5 autonomy when it means that and everything else above EAP. We were promised the first steps above EAP over a year ago and that's still coming. So, it's not a jump to ' take a nap in the back seat', it's whatever feature that FSD cars get that EAP ones will NOT get. Do you want to miss out? Well, do ya? :D

definitely agree with boaterva

There will be endless threads about EAP and FSD in the future with a wide variety of opinions. The key for me is when Tesla starts announcing features that are only available to owners who purchased FSD regardless of where people rate the feature as level 3, 4 or 5. And those debates will then increase in intensity. So once the features begin to show up in deployed builds, which they will later this year, the conversations will be very different. Will be fascinating to watch. I am glad I purchased FSD for $3k so at least I will be able to try out FSD as features get added. I am pessimistic about how close it will get to level 5 but I'm ok with that.

At some point, Tesla will have a lot of sunk cost in FSD and they will be looking at the large group that opted out over price and decide that it is a big chunk of free revenue they could have in their coffers for very little cost and lower the price. Tesla seems to like to test how high the market is willing to pay before coming to grips with reality. We see it in their CPO cars and in battery upgrades (60 KWH to 75 KWH and 70KWH to 75 KWH upgrades). Initially priced very high when really she battery and then dropped price for having a software switch flipped. The cost was sunk so better to get some revenue than no revenue.

We just saw it, I believe, with the Model 3 Performance, too. With an opener of $78K they weren't seeing the numbers they wanted so restructured. That $11K premium still has to have serious gross margin to it. Most of the cost is the extra burn-in time & testing, with maybe a little extra spent making sure their yields get enough of the parts into the Performance bin.

P.S. I think it was marketing genius on their part to up the ante with FSD pricing to $3K/$5K at sale/aftermarket. I'm not ashamed to say it made me flinch and I had be a hard no prior. In the end I still held the line, "show me something concrete, first", but I bet it pushes over the top a lot of people that were sitting on the bubble.

Reactions: kbM3
We just saw it, I believe, with the Model 3 Performance, too. With an opener of $78K they weren't seeing the numbers they wanted so restructured. That $11K premium still has to have serious gross margin to it. Most of the cost is the extra burn-in time & testing, with maybe a little extra spent making sure their yields get enough of the parts into the Performance bin.

P.S. I think it was marketing genius on their part to up the ante with FSD pricing to $3K/$5K at sale/aftermarket. I'm not ashamed to say it made me flinch and I had be a hard no prior. In the end I still held the line, "show me something concrete, first", but I bet it pushes over the top a lot of people that were sitting on the bubble.

Actually, I didn't even get the option to order the $78K PM3 even as a prior owner. So Tesla doesn't even know what the total uptake would have been.

Agreed on the FSD. 2K makes a difference. Makes me wonder now why they don't do 4K before/10K after. ;)

Reactions: Blue in NC
I'm in the same boat as Phrixotrichus. At least a year away (probably even longer) from getting my Model 3, so plenty of time to make up my mind. As it is, I don't see any value in FSD to me anyway, so will quite likely not get the option. Then again, if I am happy with the e-Golf I ordered recently (once that arrives), I might cancel my Model 3 reservation after all. Too many variables currently.

The latest set of Federal FSD regulations were GUIDELINES, supposedly created purposefully instead of regulations not to hinder the progress.
It is possible we won't see much obstruction from the government unless people start dying in droves in FSD accidents and force their hand. So, if manufacturers follow guidelines and test responsibly, there may not be an additional delay due to regulation.

This is a wrong assumption. FSD model can be trained on data collected by thousands of cars on the road, so this will go a lot faster.

Have you ever had your whole windshield splashed and covered with mud? I had. There is no redundancy option for a human either.
You brake hard, b/c you no longer see the road. You try to use windshield wipers, but sprinklers are underpowered for a significant amount of mud and wipers just smudge the mud around. It takes few seconds before you can see the road again. You also try to reach emergency lights button, while figuring out where to steer to. Trying to maybe keep more to the right to avoid oncoming traffic. You are not safe and sound during this time, so I would not expect more from FSD than from a human - stop as fast and as safely as possible.

Sorry... I'm not buying it. First, the NN is mostly used to do vision processing, object classification and localization. A lot (maybe all??) of the heuristics around path planning and decision making are still coded. The NNs available right now, and the training techniques simply don't have the capacity to deal with the wide range of circumstances that will be encountered.

NNs have solved some long standing problems. But they're not a magic bullet

Reactions: TheDoktor
Tesla's "pricing trick" worked on me. I was originally planning to not get FSD and just pay the extra $1000 if and when it becomes worthwhile, but an extra $2000 is a 67% price increase over the $3000 charge when getting it with the car. It'll take 8 years of average 7% annual increase in investments to make up for the 67% difference and I think enough FSD features will be ready well before then. I took the gamble when I configured. Hope it pays off :)