Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poll of hypothetical door options

Which type of doors would you prefer on Model X if they were made an option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks WarpedOne. Can anyone else verify this? Not being engineer, I have no idea how big a change it would take to change the doors.

As a mechanical engineer if someone told me after the Model X preview I needed to make regular doors an option I would tell them it can't be done.
If someone told me they wanted falcon doors as an option to regular doors from day one I would probably be disbelieving and tell them it will make both doors bad.

Technically I think it would be easier to put regular in the giant holes of the falcon doors but you would get some weird roof insert panels (that would cost a lot to install in the line) and probably inserts on the other 3 sides of the Falcon doors. Then put a smaller weird shaped door between all the inserts. It wouldn't be pretty, probably cost more than the falcon door. If they did this. In my opinion it would be a disaster, unless it was planned from day one. If planned for from the beginning I bet you still end up with weird shaped regular doors and a funky surrounding.

My gut is everyone is getting the falcon doors. If YOU don't get falcon doors neither will anyone else, and it wont be a decision.

Although we have an X reservation, the wife is having second thoughts on the whole Falcon wing design. She doesn't like it, I'd like the extra space the X offers over the S, but I hope there might be another option announced sooner rather than later. The Falcon wings seem more polarizing than I thought. Otherwise we might have to get his and her S's.

I really think they'd be able to sell up to a magnitude more with conventional doors. The falcon doors have a definite cool factor, but Tesla needs to do a reality check on this one. If toyota's rav4 did 250+ miles, I know which car I'd buy- And sadly which stock I'd sell.

i think the thing is with minivan doors, even though some people dont like the style of them, others dont like them just because theyre on one of the most unstylish cars, a minivan. i think if they started use on a more stylish car, X, any other stylish car really, they would be so much more popular. but i do like #4 that would be awesome...couldnt be good for a side impact though, as there is no bar there, idk what its called.

I may have misread the options... I want the falcon wings to be optional. I think it only makes sense to leave the door type up to the buyer. we are very interested in the X, and very definitely not going to buy one with falcon wings, period. I want an awesome, all electric SUV, not an impractical exotic. the sliding doors as shown would even work fine. mainly I want access to the roof, open for a planoply of traditional roof rack options... ski's, kayaks, bikes, storage container etc and I have zero interest in having to have a trailer for those things. I chose option 2 but then realized that 1 or two would work for me, resulting in traditional doors being available.

My only concern with the Model X doors is that they are a design element which could be done by any carmaker. I'd rather see a striking feature which could only be achieved with (and would hence highlight) the Tesla drivetrain. The huge frunk+trunk combo is the obvious example - are there any others left? It's good that Franz is thinking outside the box, but he also needs to advertise the contents of the box

Last edited:
My only concern with the Model X doors is that they are a design element which could be done by any carmaker. I'd rather see a striking feature which could only be achieved with (and would hence highlight) the Tesla drivetrain. The huge frunk+trunk combo is the obvious example - are there any others left? It's good that Franz is thinking outside the box, but he also needs to advertise the contents of the box

An exit out of the vehicle through the frunk? :tongue:

Or better yet, a machine gun emplacement in the frunk so you can blow away any ICE that parks in a charging spot. Think of the road rage possibilities!

So far, nobody has discussed the use of Falcon Doors in the rain. They look like they could seal just fine when closed, but what are the weather defenses while open? Normal rain may stay mostly out like regular doors, but driven rain may have a better chance of flooding the cabin in any prolonged door opening. On the other hand, these doors should keep moderate rain mostly off the actual occupants while getting in or out of the car.