Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on 40KW battery actual rated range vs age(miles) of car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take your car into the service center. When I was talking about battery degradation with the local techs, they said for 40's if you bring your car in, they will turn off the software limit, do a full range charge to balance it out, and then turn the limit back on. They said this almost always brings the range back.

Update: I'm back to 128 miles capacity. Problem was two fold - first a new battery tookk time for computer compute capacity and second, when they instlled the new battery they turned back on the charge limiter that didn't allow it to get to 100%. When I let it go to full 100%, it went up quite a bit.

Dave

Glad to see there are still other 40 owners out there. I charge mine every night at 22A and in the morning it still peaks at about 134 miles, depending on the outside temperature.

I have never had the service center charge it or balance it, I was hoping the software would do this occasionally but I guess not. It isn't super critical to balance the cells when you only get to about 70% but after 3 years it might be nice.

Anyone still wishing Tesla would just remove the 40kW/h limit to drop the need to support the few cars out in the world?

I wish, but doubt, they will turn on the rest of the pack.

One reason they might have pity on us - Since I was price sensitive, I bought the 40 and also did not buy super charging (I know, a mistake in hindsight). The problem now is that I can't charge at any Tesla location. I don't need supercharging but I would like a Level 2 charger. Tesla has basically abandoned us few tight wads without super charging equipment. It's a shame. So if they don't want to put in a Level 2 at each location, then let me have the whole battery to get me places.

What do you think, will it be a good argument?

I bought the 40 and also did not buy super charging (I know, a mistake in hindsight). The problem now is that I can't charge at any Tesla location. I don't need supercharging but I would like a Level 2 charger. Tesla has basically abandoned us few tight wads without super charging equipment. It's a shame. So if they don't want to put in a Level 2 at each location, then let me have the whole battery to get me places.

You have CHAdeMO as an option for fast charging.

I just looked at the CHAdeMO adapter again in the Tesla store. Several months ago, there used to be a little note for 40 and older 60 models (w/o SuperCharging) which stated that "Fast DC Charging" had to be purchased and activated for ~$2000 for the CHAdeMO adapter to work.

However, the new description (below) now just mentions that an SC visit is required to enable it.

I wonder if they dropped the $2000 activation? That would be an awesome gift to 40 owners...
(I'll contact them and check)

• For Model S without Supercharging enabled, onboard hardware must be activated to use the CHAdeMO adapter.
  • Note: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled.

If they have not changed their policy, Tesla only allowed 60's to enable DC fast charging; 40 owners would have to upgrade to 60 first.
IIRC, they want $12,000 to enable the 60; which was a $10,000 option during the original order process. The $2,000 upgrade penalty was no doubt intended as an incentive to purchase the 60.

There used to be two upgrade options for fast charging. Again IIRC, they charge $2,500 to enable supercharging, but for $1,000 or $1,500 you could enable DC fast charging for access to CHAdeMO, for example.

So for a 40 owner, you could spend $13,500 to enable CHAdeMo, or $14,500 to enable SC. Plus sales tax if applicable.

Edit: Yes, that would be quite a gift if Tesla is now waiving fees to enable DC fast charging. I seem to remember there may have been some hardware that was omitted from early non-SC enabled cars though.