Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on Model 3 Air Vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you kidding me? The Model 3 AC system is the best of any car in the world. I never have needed to adjust it after the initial setup and I am always comfortable. Any other car I am constantly adjusting the vents because they don’t get my face, then they don’t get my chest. One reason I want the Y over the X is the AC system. Individual vents are stupid.
I agree 100%. Best system I’ve ever used. UI is a work of art.

I agree with everyone who loves it. I tout it as one of the best "minor" features of the car. Any other car we have had has caused us to struggle constantly to get both of us comfortable. (And in both our first and 2nd gen volts it was impossible.) I like the wind in my face and she doesn't want to feel any air movement. In the model 3 we just split the airflow around her and she is completely happy. My only wish would be that the settings could be saved in the profiles so when we change drivers the airflow would change automatically.

At one point, there were some people that complained that iPhone's didn't have the tactile feel of the Blackberry keyboard. When it comes to vent design, it's one of the best in the industry in terms of functionality and design due to its lack distinct lack of moving parts. This increases functionality and durability.

It's something we all will adjust to with time, just like we did with on-screen keyboards etc.

I find it easy to use but wish you could disable the airflow for either side just like you can with physical vents. My wife often just doesn't want it on.
This would be nice to have. The dual zone is not particularly effective, like if one person lowers their temperature the other side can definitely feel the air from their vent get colder. Always an issue with the wife and I.
I do think the ability of the system to direct airflow where you want it is much, much better than traditional systems, at least compared to my Benz.

Reactions: Big Earl
I am not a fan (no pun intended) of it. I like the air on my hands at the 9 & 3 position but haven't been able to find the best position for the vents. The issue is that the diagram on the screen has a fixed steering wheel picture while the actual one has been adjusted to my preferences. Thus adjusting the vents to where my hands are is not a simple task as it may seem. With conventional systems, like the Model X, I can adjust them to my positions in a few seconds. This is not the case with M3 after driving over 35K miles in it. I've even taken it in for a "service check" feeling it by a defect but still no help.

Love the M3 and the slit vent feature is very futuristic/cool but not practical for me. That's the one feature I do not praise.

• Funny
Reactions: Foxtrotter and P2AT
Are you kidding me? The Model 3 AC system is the best of any car in the world. I never have needed to adjust it after the initial setup and I am always comfortable. Any other car I am constantly adjusting the vents because they don’t get my face, then they don’t get my chest. One reason I want the Y over the X is the AC system. Individual vents are stupid.

+1 for this. It's by far the best I've ever used.

The design is great but the functionality needs some improvements, most notably read air being left on. The car never recognizes when our toddler is in the car seat so if the air is left on Auto it turns off the rear air. We have to keep it on Manual to get air in the back. Being able to turn off one side and having the preset be linked to the driver profile would also improve the usability.

Also, when turning on the air from the app, it would be nice to have a little more control, like fan speed. Since we have to keep it on Manual for our toddler it won't increase the fan speed if I'm turning on the air after the car has been sitting in the sun. Even an Auto/Manual toggle in the app would be good enough just to get the car cooling off.

All this talk about UI/UX: How is a on-screen interface simpler and more intuitive than manually moving the fins of an air vent? o_O
My thoughts is that simplicity and minimalism does come at a price. Much like our old flip phones had tons of buttons before and when the iPhone decided to put everything through a UI on a flat piece of glass, lots of people were annoyed.
In the end, I am happy that there are less buttons to worry about. Things that I barely touch on a day-to-day basis such as window locks, air vent speed (since I leave it on auto), and even auto wipers (which still need tweaking, but honestly I don't think it warrants its own button).

Doing so also enhances our cars to get more features simply through software updates. I'd be annoyed if everytime we got a new feature, we had to bring it in to the SC to get a new part, well except for HW3 chip of course.

Can you adjust the vents upward? I noticed a few posts of people saying they had it blowing on their face. All I see is the side to side on the screen, and the "buttons" for the feet, mid, and upper. i'm 6' tall and live in Arizona, so my head is always baking up near the glass roof. I would love some air circulation up there.

Other than that I love the controls, and the magic of splitting the vents on the screen. Though I do wish I could control the fan speed without opening the A/C screen, easier while driving.

It's a bit tricky to set just right at first, but it works great.

One downside is when I had the AC pane open for whatever reason, and swiped it down to dismiss it, I would often inadvertently adjust the vents. Oops. My wife pointed out I can simply touch the map rather than swipe to dismiss that pane. I'm glad she's smarter than I am.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
Can you adjust the vents upward? I noticed a few posts of people saying they had it blowing on their face. All I see is the side to side on the screen, and the "buttons" for the feet, mid, and upper. i'm 6' tall and live in Arizona, so my head is always baking up near the glass roof. I would love some air circulation up there.

Other than that I love the controls, and the magic of splitting the vents on the screen. Though I do wish I could control the fan speed without opening the A/C screen, easier while driving.

Place your finger on the air flow graphic and move it up to move the air flow up.

The 3's air conditioner's Dog Mode is genius. We use it all the time. My dog's bed is in the back seat, with access to her "den"-- the trunk-- when we're parked (usually charging!).
However, every time we get in, I have to remember to turn on the rear air vent for her. Wish it were an option to always have it on. Especially in Dog Mode!

Couple of points about the temp. up near the roof:
1. You definitely need to buy the interior UV screens! They were included with our MX but had to be purchased as accessories for our M3. The MX was unbearable in summer heat without its screen in place. The M3 has two separate screens to be purchased; you might try ordering just the front screen first and see how you like it. I'm 6'3" and my story is that you will want the both, though.
2. The M3 UI has a little vertical scrollbar on the outer edges of the display that allows one to drag the vents to aim upward.
Wish you well with it, fellow big fella.