Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That button can be added back to the quick launch bar at the bottom as mentioned yesterday in the thread.

Really they could fix just about everything wrong with it by adding a few more things as "pinnable" to that bar by the user that aren't options right now... (one tap defrost for me personaly, but for others it might be wiper controls, or seat heaters or whatever)
For me, the dash cam shortcut doesn’t activate the recorder. It only brings up the player even when I am moving. I have to click on Car and go into the Controls menu and tap the Sentry button in that menu.

Reactions: petergy and srs5694
For me, the dash cam shortcut doesn’t activate the recorder. It only brings up the player even when I am moving. I have to click on Car and go into the Controls menu and tap the Sentry button in that menu.

Hrm, I'll have to check that when I run out later today- I saw the shortcut had the red dot showing so possibly it was just me (wrongly) assuming it was showing that it was recording...

That said, dashcam and sentry are 2 entirely different features. Sentry doesn't record anything, only dashcam does. Only thing sentry does related to video is move the previous 10 minutes of existing dashcam video (if dashcam was recording) to the sentry folder.

Hrm, I'll have to check that when I run out later today- I saw the shortcut had the red dot showing so possibly it was just me (wrongly) assuming it was showing that it was recording...

That said, dashcam and sentry are 2 entirely different features. Sentry doesn't record anything, only dashcam does. Only thing sentry does related to video is move the previous 10 minutes of existing dashcam video (if dashcam was recording) to the sentry folder.
The red dot is there on the shortcut icon, what I meant to say is that it won’t trigger a recording if you press the icon. I maybe mistaking, but it does appear the only way to manually trigger a dash cam recording without honking is by touching the sentry button in the controls menu. I will be very happy if that’s not the case and an easier shortcut is available.

Reactions: petergy
WOW. I am surprised by how many people hate the new UI. I love it! But I have FSD Beta so I really appreciate the full screen FSD view. Also, when in FSD Beta mode, I can afford to look at the screen for a second to tap the screen to choose something. For FSD, the UI works well. I suspect the UI was designed a lot with the idea of "self-driving car" in the future. Elon seems to be making a lot of design choices with the idea that the cars will be robotaxis someday.

I can appreciate that the UI may be less convenient for people without FSD since they have to focus more on the road. But the truth is that the center touch screen only on the M3 has always been really bad for manual driving because it requires the driver to take their eyes off the road and it can be hard sometimes to tap the right thing, especially if the road is uneven and the car is "bouncing" up and down a lot.

In time, people may get used to the new UI and grow to like it more. So I wonder how the poll results will change in say 6 months.

I pretty much echo all of the gripes users have here. I have been driving my M3 for only about a month, and I do NOT like the changes that have been implemented here. I like the blind side camera, but it was poorly done and looks like an afterthought. The presentation of this has no polish, it blocks information (as well as buttons, Homelink was mentioned here), and is blocked by your hand if gripping the wheel. This brings me to a complaint that I don't think I have seen yet; when the map is blocked while navigating, the next instruction is presented in the pane on the left above the car- just floating in space that was not used, no border or otherwise tacky and obtrusive design- now it is located where the blind spot camera is, also blocked when holding the wheel. I have to lean my head to the left to see navigation instructions? Just like the little menu bar at the top of the map- did this space really need to be reclaimed for the sake of design over function? Pretty asinine to remove all of these quickly accessible functions such as Dash Cam Record (yep- you have to dig into Car-> Controls -> Sentry, no shortcut that I have found), defoggers are multiple presses to turn on? Clear safety issue, nearly all of this. I'm all for the minimalization of things- not at the cost of functionality and safety. This should never have passed. It feels sloppy and hastily done. The idea of a customizable dock at the bottom is great- but the implementation absolutely sucks without question. The user should be able to pull just about whatever they want from anywhere into this dock. I should be able to hit navigate, then drag Home, or Work or any other location into this dock (a Taco button?! Anyone else watch Psych?). I should be able to grab the title of an album or single track and drag that down there. I should be able to decide if I want a defrost button or not. There is 13 inches of black bar down there- why can I only pin 4 items down there (4- not 5. Whoever said they have 5... pics or it didn't)? And why is it only 13 items to choose from- this car does a hell of a lot more than that. Why isn't odometer in there? Dashcam RECORD button? Tire pressure? Why can't I just pin a single game down there? Why is there all of this dead space between the Car and HVAC controls, then another gap until the paltry 4 app shortcuts? Same on the other side? We should be allowed the option of that "recently used app" BS. If I've recently used it, and want to get back to it again, it's likely and should probably be a shortcut on the other side, FFS. Idiotic implementation of a shortcut bar.

I very much like the idea of a 'Classic' or 'Advanced' vs 'Simple' controls. I understand that these products are getting into the hands of a lot of "normal people" instead us nerds... but I don't think this fixes things for them, it was far more intuitive before having things on the screen versus being buried. I don't understand the logic in design here. At all.

I'm ONLY comforted by the fact that many of us have the same issues with this interface right from go. That gives me hope that there could be swift changes coming to this.

Also, so far as form over function goes... the HORRIBLE icons, the unpolished nature of the blind spot camera... this new UI looks worse in almost every way. Form was definitely placed well above function, and the form is hella funky. I give it a D- on design. My suggestion- don't even talk to the team that put this out. It's almost all but evident that they should in no way doing this work. It is so badly done that I don't even think they have capacity to understand the assignment. Almost everything about this new UI is basically unacceptable. I have a hard time understanding how this passed by Musk.

TLDR, interface is poorly if not negligently designed for form over function. It is basically a safety issue, and It is nearly an embarrassment. I'm glad most of us are in agreement here- it gives me hope that this will be fixed.

The more I think about it, the only option I can select in the poll is that I hate everything about it. Even the few things I like about it are done so poorly I can't give really any credit to this update. I'm pretty fourty-thousand-dollar sad about that.

I'm ONLY comforted by the fact that many of us have the same issues with this interface right from go. That gives me hope that there could be swift changes coming to this.
I agreed with most of your post but I had to laugh at the above quote. Last year's Christmas "lump of coal" created as many complaints as this year. They shrunk the map to increase the useless white space on the left. They made the fonts smaller and used various shades of grey that are hard to read, etc. Elon responded by tweeting that in the future, the display could be customized by the users. There was much hope that this year's update would allow us to adjust font size, or reduce the white space on the left, or even go back to a "classic" layout but none of that happened. I'm sure none of our complaints will be addressed next year, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I don't like most of the changes this year, but there are some improvements. I'll just enjoy driving the car because it is still the most awesome and fun car to drive I have ever owned. I will probably keep my model 3 five or six more years, and I am certain I will replace it with another EV. But when that happens, I will be interested to see all the EV options from the other automakers. I'm sure there will be some great cars to choose from. Maybe my next car will be a Tesla or maybe not.

I wish I had spent a little bit more time with the interface before creating a poll but I have to agree with most of the criticisms. It looks like they made a rushed attempt to allow customization without much thought and without adequate beta testing about how certain items would now be very difficult to access easily despite the options for customizing menus at the screen bottom. It's bizarre that they made it hard to access the most routine functionality. They have made it easier to get to your phone menu in one icon press but they made a lot of other things a whole lot harder. I do hope and expect the Tesla will listen to the feedback and issue an update that corrects some of the more grotesque and counterintuitive bits of nonsense. And while they're at it maybe they can update the fonts and icons to something less clunky.

I wish I had spent a little bit more time with the interface before creating a poll but I have to agree with most of the criticisms. It looks like they made a rushed attempt to allow customization without much thought and without adequate beta testing about how certain items would now be very difficult to access easily despite the options for customizing menus at the screen bottom. It's bizarre that they made it hard to access the most routine functionality. They have made it easier to get to your phone menu in one icon press but they made a lot of other things a whole lot harder. I do hope and expect the Tesla will listen to the feedback and issue an update that corrects some of the more grotesque and counterintuitive bits of nonsense. And while they're at it maybe they can update the fonts and icons to something less clunky.
Tesla did not listen last year, I doubt they will listen this year.

User interface designers should have to swear to an oath like doctors’ ”Do no harm” oath. Something like “Do no harm to functionality.”
Absolutely. It is maddening that they removed some functions from the main display (seat warmers, driver profiles, tire pressure, trip odometers), gave us the option to customize the display, BUT we cannot put those functions back in the customizable space!

How do I get back the trip info card (kept this open most of the time) and tire pressure card?
Unfortunately that would require buying a used M3 that hadn't been updated yet. The cards are gone in v11. The trip info is in the new "trips" menu after you press the car icon on the bottom left. All the same info is there, but it will cover the entire map when open. Tire pressures can be found under the "service" menu.

Unfortunately that would require buying a used M3 that hadn't been updated yet. The cards are gone in v11. The trip info is in the new "trips" menu after you press the car icon on the bottom left. All the same info is there, but it will cover the entire map when open. Tire pressures can be found under the "service" menu.
What a joke. I feel like this interface change was all focused on entertainment. It's like actual driving functionality (features needed to operate the vehicle) were considered a secondary item in the display. How is that kind of design approved? I can tolerate some things (left display with poorer font/text, the audio bar now taking up more space on the right (rather than a small bar it's now double sized), but I don't like digging through the menu to find driving essentials while driving.

I like the interface and the graphics but it's like they did a 180 on what they had done before to find stuff. A big thing since v10 is why can't we have more map and less car graphics? Who in the right mind through lets give them less map and more car graphics. I don't care for 40% of the screen showing me what's outside. I really want to adjust the size of the left pane so I have more map.

Why would they ungroup audio sources now I have to hunt for them. I also can't fast forward on Spotify?! Also audio sources are either full screen or minimized. I can drag them down so I have just a bar at the bottom but if I the camera button for example then radio again it's (radio) full screen? Before it returned to how it was set previously. Why change that and force me to drag it down again. As others have said why has the trip odometer and tire pressure been removed, well buried to the point of not being usable anymore while driving. Put it back to where it was, it worked before and access was EASY.

One final thing and maybe I don't know yet, is there an official controller that works? PS4 doesn't work, Xbox works in all games but Sonic says I need a controller so I can't start the game with the controller that works in every other game? They badly need a controller configuration screen so it can be verified as working them force all games to use it by default.