Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My suggestion- don't even talk to the team that put this out. It's almost all but evident that they should in no way doing this work. It is so badly done that I don't even think they have capacity to understand the assignment. Almost everything about this new UI is basically unacceptable. I have a hard time understanding how this passed by Musk.
Yeah, fire the UI team, total failure. Or maybe they're only 40% done and have all this solved, just need to finish implementation?

How it passed Musk? He's 8 years old, like me in many ways, but I know when to let others do their job.

That button can be added back to the quick launch bar at the bottom as mentioned yesterday in the thread.

Really they could fix just about everything wrong with it by adding a few more things as "pinnable" to that bar by the user that aren't options right now... (one tap defrost for me personaly, but for others it might be wiper controls, or seat heaters or whatever)
Ya, I saw that, but my point was at least partially that I now have a ~2" x 3/8" space at the top of the screen that used to be some fairly useful buttons, and now it only a little worthless map segment.

I agree that more pinnable stuff would be good, and still better would be pinnable-to-top-bar.

The red dot is there on the shortcut icon, what I meant to say is that it won’t trigger a recording if you press the icon. I maybe mistaking, but it does appear the only way to manually trigger a dash cam recording without honking is by touching the sentry button in the controls menu. I will be very happy if that’s not the case and an easier shortcut is available.

So following up on this-

The quicklaunch icon at the bottom does NOT appear to be useful as I earlier hoped- the icon shows the red dot always, regardless of it it's actually recording or not- it's a static icon...and long vs short press does not change what it does (Which is just bring up the view previous recordings interface)

That said- you CAN get "is dashcam recording" in a single press- the main "hit the car button" menu that comes up has a big square for dashcam and shows if it's recording or not... (if it is you can short-tap it to save the last 10 minutes of recordings same as a honk..... if it's not you can long press it to turn on recording.... ).... this is still a downgrade from being able to press 0 buttons with the previous interface to know its current status of course.

I like the new UI.

It is not perfect, but how I will use it is not fully understood yet as well.

I suspect that ALL technology User Interfaces (smart home devices, TVs, cellphones etc) are moving to “voice“ controls. Eg for the data drivers say “Tire Pressure“ to see the tire pressure screen.

I think most Tesla displays are accessible by voice. I also think that approach will only increase with updates.

The other design feature is FSD design. The UI is heading for full time FSD use, from home/work calendar routing to every drive being routed.

The view that is helpful is to figure out the Tesla design goals. They may not be the design goals you may have chosen.

Another Tesla goal seems to be: A few common selections on the menu with “recent” ones being displayed As well for “local customization“.

Last edited:
At first I thought I was not fond of it, but after playing around with it and learning it, it is OK except for a few changes. Those are:
1. On homelink, I have my two garage openers and my gate. When I pull up to the gate, homelink used to appear, now it does not and I have to stop, go into a menu and choose gate. Hope they fix that.
2. Only 4 icons available on the custom list.
3. The dashcam and sentry mode were better where they were - now hard to find and not very clear how to turn on Sentry.

Reactions: Thp3 and Scelto
If you tap the arrows next to the temperature you can access quick controls that include your seat heaters.
Unfortunately that changes your temp settings. Then you have to reset them. Doing that while driving is too complicated. The old UI was much better.

When v11 installed, I watched the new-feature video they included. I'm sure that showed a small, vertical pop-up menu which had shortcuts for the seat warmers. But I don't see that menu anywhere in the actual UI. Did anyone else see that in the video? I'm wondering if features are missing, either due to a bug, or Tesla released the UI without completing everything in the spec.

I feel v11 is a step backwards. I'm frustrated because it seems these updates are driven by non-driving features-- playing games, theatre mode, etc. To me, those are all secondary. You could yank them from my car and I wouldn't even care. What I want is simple, obvious, safe UI controls for the car features I interact with while driving.

Preliminary thoughts after about an hour of exploring...

Pros:
- dark mode
- blind spot camera with turn signals (though it's hidden behind your hand if on the steering wheel)
- the turn signal indicators on the screen are in a better position than before the update

Cons:
- speedometer font still too small and too thin and shouldn't be jammed up against the side of the screen. It was WAY better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a bolder, larger and centered. I wish when they make changes like this, they wouldn't ram it down our throats. There should be an option to center it and make it larger/bolder like before.
- they still have warning lights down the side of the screen (behind your hand while on the steering wheel). This was obviously designed by someone sitting at a desk.
- odometer and trip meters buried deeper. The cards were much better
- tire pressures buried deeper. The cards were much better
- windshield wiper controls buried deeper The cards and/or button at the bottom is much better for wiper controls
- the energy line (gray/green) is still unnecessarily thin. It was also significantly better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a few pixels thicker
- the dash cam icon disappeared from above the map. Why?? It wasn't in the way of anything. Problem is, sometimes the red light goes out and I have to pull the USB drive and re-insert it. Now I have to manually check in the controls section to see if it's working. This one really ticks me off (assuming the issue still exists - for me I have to pull the USB about once every week or two)
- you can't pin enough icons to the bottom of the screen (too much unused area that could be useful)
- heated seats buried in climate controls. Again this requires more attention off the road to access them. Guess that happens when the designers live in southern California.

Summary:
The driver interface was WAY better when I bought the car in fall 2020 (before the Xmas 2020 update). Since then, it requires more attention off what's important (the road ahead) and therefore it is less safe to drive the car (unless you have full self driving and have the luxury of time to hunt around for information while not looking at the road).

They should offer "classic" interface/settings or something like that for those who appreciate the superior engineering and design that keeps being replaced, just for the sake of changing to a fresh look.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't allow more customization as suggested by Elon about a year ago when so many people complained after the Xmas 2020 update. When it comes time to replace the car, I'd seriously consider leaving the brand over stuff like this (handcuffing you to "downgrades")
I have not driven the car since I installed the V11 firmware but I have to agree with you on almost all of your post points. I do not care about games and would like to see more resources put towards other features but acknowledge many enjoy the games. One feature that is buried under a menus is the defrost feature, this needs to be quickly accessible since it could be a safe driving issue. While driving I previously manually toggle the defroster two modes on and off, this is basically not possible now being buried in a menu. I can no longer glance at the lower screen to see if my wife has left the seat heater on and AFAIK the heater does not detect if someone is seating in the seat nor automatically turn off upon exit/reentry of the car. Be nice if I could dock all the previous buttons used frequently at the bottom of the screen but some of them are quick controls and not apps.

With all the above said, we really enjoyed the Easter egg Xmas light show.

Reactions: rmh9 and anoone
If you tap the arrows next to the temperature you can access quick controls that include your seat heaters.
Which is two taps instead of one. I adjust the seat heaters all the time. Anything that makes it more difficult makes it more dangerous.
I like the new UI.

It is not perfect, but how I will use it is not fully understood yet as well.

I suspect that ALL technology User Interfaces (smart home devices, TVs, cellphones etc) are moving to “voice“ controls. Eg for the data drivers say “Tire Pressure“ to see the tire pressure screen.

I think most Tesla displays are accessible by voice. I also think that approach will only increase with updates.

The other design feature is FSD design. The UI is heading for full time FSD use, from home/work calendar routing to every drive being routed.

The view that is helpful is to figure out the Tesla design goals. They may not be the design goals you may have chosen.

Another Tesla goal seems to be: A few common selections on the menu with “recent” ones being displayed As well for “local customization“.
Which would be fine if it would actually work. It took me ten tries for it to process "seat heaters off" (phrased multiple ways, with pauses of various length before I started talking. Most often it got "heaters off" and then told me it couldn't do that.

Kinda tired of hearing "you can use voice commands for that." You shouldn't have to memorize 150 voice commands to drive a car. It's one more thing that will inhibit EV adoption, or at least push people to other manufacturers.
And they have eliminated some voice commands. The voice command "tire pressure" used to pull up the tire pressure card. Now that they have removed the tire pressure card, that voice command no longer works.

And they have eliminated some voice commands. The voice command "tire pressure" used to pull up the tire pressure card. Now that they have removed the tire pressure card, that voice command no longer works.
They should also implement voice command activation similar to BMW, Mercedes, and others, where you can just say BMW, Mercedes, or a simple word to activate the voice function. There shouldn’t be need to click a voice command button in order to activate the voice command.

The idea behind voice commands is to use natural language request of what you would like. Ideally you should have to memorize zero and just ask, as if you were asking someone else. Mostly works for me.
Yeah, you're right. Tesla's voice commands are definitely not to that point though, imo. I spent so much time one day trying to figure out how to switch between drive modes using voice commands (you can't). Even with a far more advanced system like Google Assistant, I often prefer to access apps via touch. Maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.

UX designers are failing us. Design over function. This isn't a game app, it is the interface to driving a machine that can kill people if drivers are distracted or can't control their car while driving. This includes light gray on white background small type, hidden access to features, reducing static buttons because UX designer think it is "clutter". See- top bar. It has space for dashcam, profiles, etc.

If it take two taps to do something important while driving, it is a fail. Made even worse without physical tactile buttons.

What a joke. I feel like this interface change was all focused on entertainment. It's like actual driving functionality (features needed to operate the vehicle) were considered a secondary item in the display. How is that kind of design approved? I can tolerate some things (left display with poorer font/text, the audio bar now taking up more space on the right (rather than a small bar it's now double sized), but I don't like digging through the menu to find driving essentials while driving.
Tesla has been less and less concerned about actual driving functionality

Reactions: RyanS and Benbo
I often want my seat heater on without turning climate on. Going into climate (even with the quick controls) turns climate ON, then you need to turn seat heaters on, then turn climate off. Then if you want to turn seat heaters off, or even view front seat heater settings, you need to open climate again (turning hvac on), then turn it off. A lot of unnecessary on/off of the heat pump, not to mention time with eyes off the road. The old seat heater icons were perfect.

Voice commands is not a good option because a) it gets my seat heater commands wrong 80% of the time, b) not reliable with other people in the car talking, c) front passenger can't use it, d) still can't view seat heater settings without turning on HVAC. Such crap. They need to fix this asap.