Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often want my seat heater on without turning climate on. Going into climate (even with the quick controls) turns climate ON, then you need to turn seat heaters on, then turn climate off. Then if you want to turn seat heaters off, or even view front seat heater settings, you need to open climate again (turning hvac on), then turn it off. A lot of unnecessary on/off of the heat pump, not to mention time with eyes off the road. The old seat heater icons were perfect.

Voice commands is not a good option because a) it gets my seat heater commands wrong 80% of the time, b) not reliable with other people in the car talking, c) front passenger can't use it, d) still can't view seat heater settings without turning on HVAC. Such crap. They need to fix this asap.
I agree. Tesla’s own winter driving tips suggest maximising range and efficiency by using heated seats/steering wheel rather than full climate control - something which is now almost impossible.

Pathetic.

Another gripe: The blindspot monitoring is useless as implemented. The video feed pops up in a spot that is completely blocked by my right hand/arm on the steering wheel. I want to use it, but can't without taking my hand off the wheel when I am trying to change lanes... Safety hazard!
The whole update is a safety hazard. I was just driving home from my parents and some fog came down.

Fog lights are now buried in several menus: Car - Lights - Fog Lights. Had to pull over to sort out, putting me and other drivers at risk. Absolutely disgusting.

Has anyone divined how to display the backup camera with the new UI ? And I don't mean 'shift into reverse'! It used to be a one-press on the screen, now it seems to be nonexistent.
It’s in the group of ‘apps’ - press the 3 dots to get there. It looks (too) similar to the dashcam icon. You can put it as one of your four pinned apps on the bottom. I have it pinned on mine, along with Spotify, FM, and Energy.

The whole update is a safety hazard. I was just driving home from my parents and some fog came down.

Fog lights are now buried in several menus: Car - Lights - Fog Lights. Had to pull over to sort out, putting me and other drivers at risk. Absolutely disgusting.
A simple push or pull on the blinker stalk brings up the headlight menu with fog lights included. No need to go through screen menus to find it.

My two cents: I think the new UI is overall great - I suspect folks need some time to get used to it is all. As the car gets more features, it’s going to be necessary from time to time to refactor the UI. There were too many buttons crowded into that screen before; too hard to hit them when the car was moving.
There are no controls related to the operation of the vehicle or the safety equipment left on the 1st level of screen interaction. None. Sorry, there is cabin temp. Big deal, I almost never adjust that. I sure as hell adjust the seat heaters a lot in the winter, and the defroster, etc. This update is horrible, and I don't even have it. This is not a refactoring, this is completely disregarding what the whole damn point of the screen is.

UX designers are failing us. Design over function. This isn't a game app, it is the interface to driving a machine that can kill people if drivers are distracted or can't control their car while driving. This includes light gray on white background small type, hidden access to features, reducing static buttons because UX designer think it is "clutter". See- top bar. It has space for dashcam, profiles, etc.

If it take two taps to do something important while driving, it is a fail. Made even worse without physical tactile buttons.

Amen. Well said.

As expected. On a similar topic, my father and my mom are almost 80 yeas old. I convinced them to move to a Tesla from an Audi about 24 months ago. Now they are terrified with the new update and by not being able to access the defrost function rapidly. Seriously what the heck. It's a trillion dollar company not a startup anymore. Also, notice to 25 years old designers: not everyone has perfect near vision. Forget your cool designs and make something usable, practical AND safe. I'm an owner since the early days Roadster and Model S. I've never been against any updates but this one is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Why is the map so difficult to see at night? Everything else can have some half-baked argument of why it was an "improvement", but I can't think of any for this.
The tiny roads are hidden from you at night because they are all small poorly-lit unsafe roads and alley-ways riddled with those up to no good. Tesla is just looking out for your safety... :)

Totally support customizability and moving the UI forward. What worked well about v10 was how large and quick it was to find key settings and features while driving.

This update shouldn’t have gone wide release.

We want fog lights accessible. Seat heaters. Defrost. Come on it’s winter and this is the Christmas update and you BURIED ALL THOSE features?!

Will there be a summer update that denies us AC?

My parents have a tesla and this is going to make it way harder for them to use.

Even music streaming seems to be taking multiple touches now and all I want is a song.

I'm on a road trip in a country where even touching the screen at all is legally dubious, so I definitely don't want to be retraining muscle memory on the go and I'm not installing it til I get back. But all the videos I've seen of the new UI show that burying stuff like wipers, seat heaters etc several layers down is atrocious. Do their designers not spend any time behind the wheel? And yes I know a lot of it can be voice controlled, but what about when I have sleeping passengers, kids etc in the car?

I agree with the comments that successive updates have only made the car's UI worse since I got it 2 years ago.

Reactions: rmh9 and pilotSteve
Just installed the update. Generally like it after poking around for ten minutes or so. However, my Homelink buttons in top right are gone. I have gone into the Homelink settings, and see nothing to activate/deactivate their display. Googling gives me nothing. Help please, anyone?