Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please give me a small card for tire pressure that stays put if desired. This is very useful if you have a slow leak, or want to see how your tire pressure is increasing in the heat. And allow the apps location to put controls there, not just useless apps. Sometimes my wife switches seats with me on a trip, so it is very useful to see who it is configured for. And quick buttons for defrost and fog lights are a must. Oh, for Fs sake, make the battery icon green again while driving (way easier to see). That is all.

biggest gripe I have is the recent apps like what the hell for its not like we have hundreds of app to sort through.

Get rid of it or make a tick box for it to make more room for assignable ones like stuff we need to have quick access to whilst driving not
to play whilst driving.

Things like toybox, theater and things like that should not be allowed to be dragged into the toolbar

Things like toybox, theater and things like that should not be allowed to be dragged into the toolbar
Absolutely! Those are the kind of things that can be buried in menus because they aren't needed (probably shouldn't be used!) while driving. Having them quickly accessible while others aren't makes about as much sense as putting the cup holders outside of the car.

You know its bad when you buy a 60K car and then buy a 3 dollar IOS app and a 25 dollar phone clip so you can see the f**king speedo clearly while driving. I'm now using "speedometer" for IOS as my key speedometer on my 60K car.. works pretty well and has a few other options like HUD by using the reflection off the windshield. Cute but it works :).

Here's a mockup to show that there's plenty of room for more one-tap icons:

Tesla-Screen-Mockup.jpg

View attachment 749311
Yeah, but not on vertical format S/X. We are suffering to allow cross model compatibility, just to make it easier for the developers.

Plus, from what limited images I can find, it seems like on the S/X they have defrost and seat heater controls under the temp adjust?

View attachment 749311
Thanks for doing that. Now just add back the icons at the top right for connectivity and Sentry Mode, add back the SuperCharger Locations on the right vertical box, then add the small box below the car that shows Wh/mi and trip info/Tire Pressure. Then I think most of us will quiet down about how bad the interface has become.

So with v.11, where can I now see/edit/enter the NAME of my car?

What v.11 programmer came up with the "brilliant" idea of NOT being able to see if a seat heater is on, only by opening the climate control window (or a smaller window by unnecessarily changing the temp)?

How come in v.11 the round "pin" button for the map no longer shows nearby Superchargers? You now have to touch to "navigate" somewhere, then touch the top menu item "Charging" to see them. Why have that map button if it's useless, especially when you're already en route somewhere?

I get that Tesla would like owners to transition to using "voice commands," but did it not occur to the programmers of v.11 that a passenger cannot easily reach the scroll wheel to speak a command? Let alone the car button for the control panels?

So the v.11 programmers set about "fixing things that AIN'T BROKE," yet still refused to restore the green battery icon that owners have been requesting for nearly a year. :rolleyes:

Lets see, where do I start...

PROS:
  • Favorites organized by audio app (slacker now shows slacker favorites only, tune-in shows their favorites only, etc.)
  • Blind spot camera. This really is a nice touch, even if the location isn't 100% optimal.
  • Homelink button placement is easier to reach when necessary
  • Subwoofer level adjustment, man I've been waiting for this for a long time! No more choice between muddy bass but filling or not enough, I can now turn the volume up a notch or two without creating a frequency bump that makes the sound less than optimal.
  • Autopilot speed now shows "MAX" below it, making it easier to see what it is. So many non-Tesla people asked me before why I had 2 speedometers with one circled.

MEH:
  • Wiper button missing. I know I can use the button on the end of the turn signal stalk (and usually do), but moving the wiper controls into a menu seems like a bad idea for new Tesla owners. At least make the stalk button cycle the settings on repeat presses.
  • Smaller speedometer. Bought my first M3 in 2019, had a large center speedo. v10 updated to smaller, v11 is now even smaller and thinner font. Seems this should be important "front and center" info.
  • Smaller autopilot status. Doesn't really bother me as it's still visible, but it is smaller and harder to see at a quick glance.
  • Tire pressure status. So many people complain about this one, but it's always been menus deep on every other car I've driven. i need this info like once per month or as the seasons change, it's not a big deal to look for it. It was nice having it on a card before, but whatever.
  • Dual zone temp. Previously only one showed when set to sync, and it split when not set to sync. Seems like this saved space, but it is what it is.
  • LTE/WiFi status. It was nice to see the signal at a quick glance to tell if that's why my audio wasn't loading, but it's not hard to find now if necessary. I just don't believe it took up much space before (and the S/X pre-refresh models still have it up top).
  • Color icons seem gimmicky, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with time. Greyscale or black & white seem more visible at a quick glance, and definitely easier to distinguish between adjacent icons.

CONS:
  • No more auto-zoom on the nav between city streets and highways? I need close details when I'm driving on city streets, I don't when driving 70mph on the interstate. Literally every other nav system auto zooms at speed, why was this removed?
  • Missing heated seat status. Don't necessarily need access to the buttons, but I can no longer tell if the unoccupied passenger seat is wasting energy.
  • Missing profile button. Seriously, my wife is 5'2" and I'm 6'4" and Tesla still selects the phone that enters the car first instead of the primary or the closest to the drivers door. I can no longer stop the seat adjustment while in progress and select my own profile, resulting in a nice steering wheel snack for me.
  • How many buttons do I need for media? Tune-in, Slacker, Bluetooth, USB, FM, Tidal, Spotify...all of these take me to the same player that already has a drop down to select the input source.
  • Mid-sized media player. Used to be able to swipe up for 3 levels of media player size, now its either mini or full screen. Want the mid level size, press the button that resembles the american flag on the right, then press again to resume back to the mini player. Quick swipe on the music button used to give access to favorites to select a new station, then swipe back down...no more.
  • Night mode side streets are damn near impossible to see now. Who thought a dark dark grey background with dark grey secondary streets was the right move to make.
  • Trip odometer. This really shouldn't be 2 buttons deep, and should be able to be left on the screen to see the overall trip info.
  • Recent apps. If I used them that much, I'd put them in the list that remains on the screen. Give me 2 more options to keep on the screen instead of the last 2 apps I used that weren't already down there. This is the first thing I turn off when buying a new Macbook, wish I could do the same on my Tesla.
  • Homelink static button missing. What about those of us that have GPS enabled to popup while in the garage, but then park in the driveway from time to time. Should I have to dig through menus to find the Homelink button because I parked my car 20' away from where I normally do when it was a quick press away previously?
  • Compass is now hidden when active navigation is in progress. I guess since the car is telling me where to turn, I shouldn't care whether I'm going north or south anymore.
  • Street/City location info box font is way too small now, can't be read with a very quick glance. This should be adjustable somehow.
WISH LIST:
  • Give us the top row status icons back, or at least make it a toggle for those that don't want to see them. These really didn't take up a lot of space.
  • Heated seats should auto disable when the seat sensor doesn't detect a person sitting in them.
  • Phone key should use proximity to the drivers door/seat as the profile to load when entering the car, not the first to approach.
  • Allow the left pane to be resized to 2 or 3 selections. 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 screen width seem like appropriate selections.
  • Put media controls back under a single button, and have source selection instead of favorites list on the right. Even my Jeep and Mustang had this correct with customizable source buttons.
  • Adjustable speedometer size. This just seems so obvious, but not all of us want it to keep getting smaller and smaller.
  • Auto brightness adjustment...ala smartphone style. Adjust the brightness slider up and down, but also leave it set to auto to continue to adjust accordingly. If auto brightness is too dim at night, give me the option to turn it up slightly but still adjust up and down as lighting conditions change.
  • Selectable conditions mode. Adjust throttle and traction control for rain, snow, sand, off road, whatever else, as well as give an option for eco mode that saves the most energy. My SRT Grand Cherokee had an eco mode that would start off in 2nd gear and kick in 4-cylinder mode a lot more often, and resulted in about 2mpg difference when driving around town. Maybe this would enable chill mode, set regen more aggressively, and disable extreme heating/cooling on the climate control system.

So with v.11, where can I now see/edit/enter the NAME of my car?

What v.11 programmer came up with the "brilliant" idea of NOT being able to see if a seat heater is on, only by opening the climate control window (or a smaller window by unnecessarily changing the temp)?

How come in v.11 the round "pin" button for the map no longer shows nearby Superchargers? You now have to touch to "navigate" somewhere, then touch the top menu item "Charging" to see them. Why have that map button if it's useless, especially when you're already en route somewhere?

I get that Tesla would like owners to transition to using "voice commands," but did it not occur to the programmers of v.11 that a passenger cannot easily reach the scroll wheel to speak a command? Let alone the car button for the control panels?

So the v.11 programmers set about "fixing things that AIN'T BROKE," yet still refused to restore the green battery icon that owners have been requesting for nearly a year. :rolleyes:
Has Tesla ever said they want people to transition to voice commands or is that just something a certain subset of people on here claim? As somebody who despises voice commands in a car, I would like to know :)

Having read through the preceding 170 posts, I find it amusing that most every post where someone said they like it (or mostly like it) got at least one downvote, oftentimes multiple. "Your opinion is different than mine, so therefore it is wrong."

How about just letting others have their opinions and letting it be at that? Isn't that the point of this thread?

(And I am sure I will get downvotes for this post as well.)

Has Tesla ever said they want people to transition to voice commands or is that just something a certain subset of people on here claim? As somebody who despises voice commands in a car, I would like to know :)

It's what "some" owners are suggesting to justify these deplorable changes. Hardly a legitimate justification. I agree with you, and am NO fan of voice commands.

Having read through the preceding 170 posts, I find it amusing that most every post where someone said they like it (or mostly like it) got at least one downvote, oftentimes multiple. "Your opinion is different than mine, so therefore it is wrong."

How about just letting others have their opinions and letting it be at that? Isn't that the point of this thread?

(And I am sure I will get downvotes for this post as well.)
Down vote just means disagree. Kind of redundant, since most who disagree have already said why.

I find it amusing that many people who claim to love the new UI also allow that there are improvements needed.

If you agree improvements are needed, you should not accept the update without complaint. Safety related controls are not something to mess around with, and fix in a later update.

Get it right, and then release it. Alpha testing on customers is dangerous.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant if safety is worse.

Hey, we removed the brake pedal, but now you have a stomp rocket in that spot that can squirt pedestrians with a blast of water while playing Never Going to Give you up! No worries, we'll stop the car for you automatically.

Thanks for doing that. Now just add back the icons at the top right for connectivity and Sentry Mode, add back the SuperCharger Locations on the right vertical box, then add the small box below the car that shows Wh/mi and trip info/Tire Pressure. Then I think most of us will quiet down about how bad the interface has become.
Agreed. Pretty simple to implement all these, so maybe they will appear in an upcoming update.

Down vote just means disagree. Kind of redundant, since most who disagree have already said why.

Except this.

Disagree lowers your score though, so it is a downvote in that sense.

Personally, I don't really care if I get downvoted, but people need to be aware of this and stop using the "thumbs down" so much (but again: just my opinion).

I find it amusing that many people who claim to love the new UI also allow that there are improvements needed.

If you agree improvements are needed, you should not accept the update without complaint.

You are arguing against yourself here. If they have stated they love it but say it could use improvements can still love it and accept that there are things wrong. I love my wife even though there are things that she does that frustrate the bejeebus out of me (which is fine: I am sure I am worse). But I still love her and we have been happily married for close to 25 years.

Get it right, and then release it. Alpha testing on customers is dangerous.

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant if safety is worse.

Hey, we removed the brake pedal, but now you have a stomp rocket in that spot that can squirt pedestrians with a blast of water while playing Never Going to Give you up! No worries, we'll stop the car for you automatically.

Now you're just getting into absurdist hyperbole and that is where (IMO) credibility gets lost.

Reactions: K5TRX and Thp3