Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can access the climate controls by tapping the NUMBER (the temperature). That brings up the controls without changing temps. Personally I am finding I am making LESS mis-taps with the icons now further apart. YMMV
I'm aware you can bring up the climate controls by tapping the number, but I usually have my climate control off if I don't need it— lets say I have the window down. Why should I increase the wear and tear or have climate blowing unecessarily if I just need the rear Defrost enabled? Can you find me a way to turn on the rear Defrost without having to engage my octovalve heatpump?

Reactions: rmh9 and kjww
I'm aware you can bring up the climate controls by tapping the number, but I usually have my climate control off if I don't need it— lets say I have the window down. Why should I increase the wear and tear or have climate blowing unecessarily if I just need the rear Defrost enabled? Can you find me a way to turn on the rear Defrost without having to engage my octovalve heatpump?

If voice command is available you should be able to say “rear defroster” to start it up.

And they have eliminated some voice commands. The voice command "tire pressure" used to pull up the tire pressure card. Now that they have removed the tire pressure card, that voice command no longer works.
It’s also wonderful when trying to use voice command in an area with poor internet connection and getting the notice that voice command isn’t available at the moment.

I think I’ve given the UI a fair shot over the course of several days now, trying not to be over-reactionary to the challenges of the changes. I thought maybe that some of the changes would just get some time to get used to. However, overall, I must say that most of the complaints expressed so far are reasonable. I’m struggling to find many things that are “better” with the upgrade, and there are far too many things that are less functional, such as more effort to get into functions that are used most often.

I wish we had physical controls/dials for all things climate-related (and thus are always present as well). I actually don’t have complaints over accessing wipers (the actual function of the auto wipers is a different story) since there’s a physical button on the stalk to use them.

The blind spot cameras are a good idea but I haven’t found them useful at all in real-time driving. You know what the best solution would’ve been? A yellow indicator on the side mirrors like most other cars. Simple, effective, and not a problem in need of a different solution.

Overall, this is a huge step down from a functionality standpoint. I think the only thing that I like is that the speedometer is closer to the edge, and I know even that has received mixed opinions.

Sorry: I can't help you on that. I leave my environment on 100% of the time.

You can pin the dashcam icon but how do you save a clip while driving if you don't want to honk the horn? Before you'd tap the icon above the map. I also don't know if the new icon displays the recording status like the old one above the map did. That was my point in the previous post. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I just found out today: to save a video clip you need to click on the car in the bottom left. You'll see the Dashcam "Recording" on the right. Click on the dashcam icon, it will now show that is saving a clip.
This is yet another "feature burial" by Tesla - put it a few layers down, let the poor bastards play this video game rather the drive safely. UGGGGHHHHHH

IMHO any function with its own BUTTON to push should be able to be DRAGGED and DROPPED into the DOCK. That would allow users to fully customize their UI experience without affecting the rest of the UI.

And FTR the record be careful relaying on the images in the Blind Spot camera view. The vehicle your trying to merge with is CLOSER than it looks. I got flashed twice by upset drivers who felt I pulled in front of them to closely. So you still need to LOOK with your eyes. Hopefully someone will design a test to show this anomaly.

I suspect this is true. In fact, for a major update like this no doubt they had their very best artists and designers working on this for a very long time.

I think it's safe to say that, like it or not, what we are seeing in this new OS release is the culmination of many months of work by huge teams of highly skilled and experienced developers and represents the sum total of their very best efforts. Some may love it and some may hate it, but it is no accident, and not something some inexperienced kid who never drove a car put together in his spare time.

Hopefully, with the help of feedback from users, they will continue to evolve this into something great. I think it has potential.
…or possibly not. Future stuff is great, but I drive my car today.

I just found out today: to save a video clip you need to click on the car in the bottom left. You'll see the Dashcam "Recording" on the right. Click on the dashcam icon, it will now show that is saving a clip.
This is yet another "feature burial" by Tesla - put it a few layers down, let the poor bastards play this video game rather the drive safely. UGGGGHHHHHH
The most absurd thing is that you can create a shortcut to the Dashcam viewer, but you can't create a shortcut to save a clip with a single click.

When we got our first Teslas in ‘17, voice command was crap. The little icon/thingy would spin forever and then kick out. And when it did take input, it recognized nor acted on almost no commands. It got better. Way better. When we sold them in October, VC was stunningly accurate. Even saying things ‘improperly’ hardly phased it for me. I have a slight Canadian accent still.

Take this for what it is worth to you. I neither have V11 nor any Tesla vehicle currently. Soon to be remedied hopefully.

Then why isn’t it called SET SPEED or something relevant to what it is? MAX is unclear, and yields posts in threads like this one.

I suppose because it's literally the max speed your car will go when TACC/AP is engaged. (Sometimes it will go slower if there's a vehicle in front of you or a tight curve.) And maybe also because Tesla seems intent on making all of the fonts and icons extra small, and "max" has fewer letters than "set speed". Regardless, this has been the case for years and hasn't changed with V11.

I agree it's confusing. The speed limit sign says exactly the same thing but means something else.

Struggling to understand how they say the same thing.

One is the speed limit, is depicted as a speed limit sign, and says "speed limit". The other is the set speed and says "max".

The numbers can be the same sometimes, but they are often different.

Last edited:
I like the new UI.

It is not perfect, but how I will use it is not fully understood yet as well.
Excellent, many in this thread do. I’m not among them.

I suspect that ALL technology User Interfaces (smart home devices, TVs, cellphones etc) are moving to “voice“ controls. Eg for the data drivers say “Tire Pressure“ to see the tire pressure screen.

Interesting that you pick the one example that no longer works with voice commands. Also, voice commands for the things you mention are very low-risk activities and provide a level of convenience to augment text, IR, RF, or other input schemes. In a moving vehicle, a much higher-risk environment, voice input should not be the primary nor only input, imo.
I think most Tesla displays are accessible by voice. I also think that approach will only increase with updates.
Likely, assuming they get them to be intuitive. Asking for the number of slabs of bacon you’d like to control seat heating is just childish. Eliminating voice control for tire pressure is a quality mistake. Assuming voice control will work everywhere all the time is fantasy.
The other design feature is FSD design. The UI is heading for full time FSD use, from home/work calendar routing to every drive being routed.
Terrific, just ducky. But I need a UI to drive my car today.
The view that is helpful is to figure out the Tesla design goals. They may not be the design goals you may have chosen.
Clearly you are correct…not my design goals by far. My design goal is a singular one: don’t do anything that would make it harder to drive the car.
Another Tesla goal seems to be: A few common selections on the menu with “recent” ones being displayed As well for “local customization“.
Agreed. Too bad those “few common selections” don’t have any value in driving the damn car. And OMG thank you so much to the Tesla pantheon for granting me the option to locally customize the entertainment. And for replacing anything useful and relevant to driving with those customizations.

One final thing and maybe I don't know yet, is there an official controller that works? PS4 doesn't work, Xbox works in all games but Sonic says I need a controller so I can't start the game with the controller that works in every other game? They badly need a controller configuration screen so it can be verified as working them force all games to use it by default.
My PS4 controller works...I just played Centipede and got crushed! LOL

Interesting that you pick the one example that no longer works with voice commands. Also, voice commands for the things you mention are very low-risk activities and provide a level of convenience to augment text, IR, RF, or other input schemes. In a moving vehicle, a much higher-risk environment, voice input should not be the primary nor only input, imo.

Likely, assuming they get them to be intuitive. Asking for the number of slabs of bacon you’d like to control seat heating is just childish. Eliminating voice control for tire pressure is a quality mistake. Assuming voice control will work everywhere all the time is fantasy.

Terrific, just ducky. But I need a UI to drive my car today.

Clearly you are correct…not my design goals by far. My design goal is a singular one: don’t do anything that would make it harder to drive the car.

Agreed. Too bad those “few common selections” don’t have any value in driving the damn car. And OMG thank you so much to the Tesla pantheon for granting me the option to locally customize the entertainment. And for replacing anything useful and relevant to driving with those customizations.
Actually the tire pressure voice activation does work...but you have to say "show service settings" to see it. Like all things voice activated the list is a treasure hunt at best...

• Informative
Reactions: PatP