Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does the vendor have the RIGHT to force updates on you?

I can see a time (like, right now) when it would be nice to have a 'vendor lock-out' that literally stops the vendor from making changes to your car without your permission.

if the vendors dont do this voluntarily, I would be ok with LEGISLATION that forces them to respect users and their wishes.

can the vendors police themselves or do we need the Big Stick(tm) approach?

I'd like to see this across the board for all devices. PERIOD. phones, anything else that can be flashed. user has a lock-out ability, by law, and vendor has to respect it.

(please discuss.)
They are trying this in Massachusetts, along with the Right To Repair (you have the right to obtain any and all tools and software to repair what you own)

There is no music icon anymore. Only icons for the individual services. And no way to go back to what was playing unless you remember which of the 6 (or are there more?) sources was playing, and potentially pinned.

For example, let's say I have the FM radio icon, camera, phone, and energy icons pinned. I get in the car, and the music that was playing before is playing. But I don't remember if it was Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn, etc... And the player is minimized.

How do I bring up the player with the current music playing? If I tap the FM radio icon, then it just switches to FM radio and starts playing that. I have to tap on the ellipses and then tap on each individual music service until I get to the right one. That's crazy.

Previously, you would just tap the music icon and it would bring up the player if it was minimized, and it would bring up the player with whatever was currently playing.
WOW!! I didn't notice that but I agree 100% that this is another crazy and unacceptable step backwards in V11

Another way to look at it is that the new owners don't know what they're missing. Here are two examples:

1. I have sketchy coverage around here. Before, if I wanted to use a voice command or send a text, I'd glance at the top of the screen to see if I had two bars. If I didn't, I would use the screen for the command or wouldn't try to send the text.

2. One glance would tell me the status of the seat heater, and I could change it with a tap or two without turning on the heat.

The new owners wouldn't know about those nice features, and they would be happy because ignorance is bliss.
Ok, you picked the two examples close to my heart..... I also like to see the seat heater....and I now no longer know if I am connected to WiFi in my driveway.....

Reactions: kjww and Benbo
Oh, and in fact if you add the TeslaCam "app" to the bottom bar you can trigger a record event from that button, so its still single press if you want/need it. (I stumbled on this, not sure if its documented anywhere).
This is incorrect. The new TeslaCam app icon at the bottom only launches the viewer while parked (1/3 of what the icon above the map did). It is not a replacement for the icon above the map, which served 3 purposes (indicated recording status with the red light which was very helpful by indicating a frequent problem in my case, initiated a dashcam recording without the need to honk, and launched the viewer when parked). If they can make the app icon function like the old one above the map then that would be fine. Anything less (like it is now requiring you to open another screen) is a downgrade.

So 20% time hit cancel (instead of open 80%) Or did they take that away too?
Maybe the signal open & closes the door. If that was the case, I’d rather press the button when I wanted it as opposed to assuming I’d be (commonly) pressing the button to get it to stop.

In any case, there’s going to be a lot of different use cases that people would like. Yes we can figure out how to deal with work-arounds but the feedback is an effort to point out how it could be even better. It would be more useful if there was a way to send this stuff to Tesla, but so far I don’t know if one.

Reactions: NoisyCricket
They are trying this in Massachusetts, along with the Right To Repair (you have the right to obtain any and all tools and software to repair what you own)
that wont be the case for closed-source firmware projects. even if they did release sources, you'd have to pay for the special compilers and such that automotive ecu's tend to use. aint gonna use gcc here, man, lol ;)

I once did want and hope for user api's into my car (no matter what car it would be). once I got into the field, I understood how impossible that would be from a realistic POV. just wont ever happen. hell, you dont even really get the ability to build phones from source code, not really and not even partially if its apple. why would you expect to be able to do a build for a car, that drives on public roads and all that?

even sending messages to infotainment has risks. I know of groups that have gotton root just by wifi and can/lin access. spooky. they should not have been able to, but they did. I saw the red team reports. (gulp).

no, you dont let users access you car other than the true user interface methods. I'm even surprised tesla gives restful access. they probably should not, if they knew better.

This is incorrect. The new TeslaCam app icon at the bottom only launches the viewer while parked (1/3 of what the icon above the map did). It is not a replacement for the icon above the map, which served 3 purposes (indicated recording status with the red light which was very helpful by indicating a frequent problem in my case, initiated a dashcam recording without the need to honk, and launched the viewer when parked). If they can make the app icon function like the old one above the map then that would be fine. Anything less (like it is now requiring you to open another screen) is a downgrade.
Have you tried it? I can trigger a recording by tapping the icon that brings up the interface . in fact I've done it several times by mistake.

Are you sure? I have the teslacam app on my shortcut bar and don't see that touching it records, just opens the menu. I'll double check though.
I've done it twice by accident .. it does open the screen .. I suspect it was a double-tap or a long-tap, but I've not figured out which (and I'm not going mad, since I carefully cleared out the Dashcam beforehand so I knew it was my tapping that triggered it). I'll go play around more and report back on what I find.

Have you tried it? I can trigger a recording by tapping the icon that brings up the interface . in fact I've done it several times by mistake.
I just went to play with the dashcam bottom bar icon a bit (while parked). So when opening the dashcam viewer, it will start a recording and show it under "recents" which I imagine is just the dashcam recording, but it doesn't seem the clip is saved or stored under "dashcam" tab till the actual "Record" button is pressed in the Control menu (or voice command). In my experience at least messing with it for 5-10 minutes.

I just went to play with the dashcam icon a bit (while parked). So when opening the dashcam viewer, it will start a recording and show it under "recents" which I imagine is just the dashcam recording, but it doesn't seem the clip is saved or stored under "dashcam" tab till the actual "Record" button is pressed in the Control menu (or voice command). In my experience at least messing with it for 5-10 minutes.
Ah, that's interesting, I didn't check to see if it was actually saving it into the folder. I'll go play more but I'm sure you are correct.

Ah, that's interesting, I didn't check to see if it was actually saving it into the folder. I'll go play more but I'm sure you are correct.
Definitely report back though. Because if there's any way you can get it to work, that'd be awesome 🤣

Though I'm still holding out for top bar icons to come back with some UI revisions!!! It bugs me that vertical screens have them and horizontal screens don't. 😐

Agreed. Actually I think most similar controls in the car should use a +/- as it's very difficult to use sliders while driving.
I kinda dislike sliders for most things; it's difficult to be precise - even on your phone or computer when not moving.
Sliders are great for scrubbing back/forth but should come with an additional control like +/- or a number box etc.

The V11 interface is very confusing. Its like I've had this car (2018 Model 3 EAP) and somebody snuck in and replaced my instrument panel. And not for the better. Aside from the often used items that now have to be accessed thru the menus - (not good while you're driving), the daytime text contrast (boldness) is way too low, making reading anything difficult. Reading at night is OK. I makes me wonder whether any of the geeks that designed the interface graphics have ever, actually, driven a car. Maybe I should set the display in nighttime all the time :)