Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love how that article made it point to say this: "And, just last week, the company said it is recalling a half-million vehicles that were at an increased risk of crashing due to issues with the trunk and backup camera."

What crash risk?! We can still use our mirrors and turn our heads! lol

I can't seem to find the the "display chargers" icon on the map (If I remember right the little lightening bolt icon in the trio of icons on the map). In the old version you could display all the 3 levels of chargers on the map. It was a great help to decide if I was going to stop at the next supercharger vs the one down the road.

Navigate > Charging

I found another annoying UI issue on my first longer drive on V11. In the old UI if I was in an nav situation and say the media panel popped up then it would put the next turn on the top left corner. With the new UI the turn summary is placed in the lower left. Probably the least usable space on the screen for real time driving. What compelled them to move it there?

Last year I learned to not install updates without first reading about their UI changes and bugs. I'm holding off installing V11.

My issue is driving safety: readability of key information like the speedometer and access to key controls like wipers, headlights, and defrosters when the auto features don't cut it, in a moving car, with minimal eyes off the road. (I know, voice commands occasionally help.) V11 still doesn't fix the small, low contrast text or the small map, and it takes more steps to override the auto-profile selection when the car picks wrong and starts to squish you.

Plusses: Blind spot cameras and waypoint editing, direct access to audio sources, and (I think) some larger tap targets.

Exactly! Shortly after the update, I drove at high speed on a busy interstate highway during pelting rain. Not being able to quickly adjust the wipers was frightening. The automatic setting is sluggish sometimes. Occasionally, when I told the wipers to speed up, they slowed down. When the outside temperature changed, and the front windshield started to fog up, neither my passenger nor I could find the defroster control. Panic! I'm dumbfounded that Tesla is putting access to entertainment ahead of basic controls needed for safe driving.

Only a retired interface designer would notice this:

For most toggles, a blue button means on, gray button: off.

When you have the heat on Auto, the Auto button is blue.
When you have the seat heaters on Auto, the Auto button is dark gray.
When you have the heat Split, the letters in the word "Split" are blue.

Maybe there's a reason for the difference, but if not, consistency would be better.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.03.16 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.03.28 PM.jpg

Only a retired interface designer would notice this:

Maybe there's a reason for the difference, but if not, consistency would be better.

View attachment 752052View attachment 752053
Nice. File a bug please :)
Do you have homelink? Check out how you get homelink->settings.

I'm mostly okay with the v11 updates, but this inconsistency (blue vs dark gray) is a huge fail. Hard to believe!

Seems like an easy fix. And if they let us add whatever we want to the "dock" at the bottom of the screen...this update will be much better.

Reactions: Braumin
I listen to news podcasts mostly in my Model 3. This new version is awful. It's hard to find and select podcasts. Once done, it's hard to find and select an episode. And, when playing an episode, it no longer indicates how many minutes into the episode it you are listening. So, when I return home, it's harder to go to that spot on my phone podcast app. If they were thinking, they should have a podcast-by-podcast setting on whether to start with the latest episode by default, or pick up where you left off. Some podcasts should be listened in order - and some you want just the newest one. They have made the decision that it just doesn't matter, and they'll play whatever one they want, won't give enough screen space for the full episode name or date, and won't provide a button or icon of any type to view an episode list. This places me firmly in the camp of wishing I had never installed this update.

The heated seat controls are just as bad. The HomeLink buttons get covered up if my passenger hasn't buckled up yet. And opening the charge door still requires hitting an unmarked area on the car picture about the size of a pin head. It's a 14 inch screen, and they can't give you a fat-finger-friendly button to open the charge plug door?

The good news is my lease is almost up, and I get to explore what other electric vehicle manufacturers are doing.

Reactions: Boza and Resist
There is only one person who's input matters at Tesla and that is Elon. He has said flat out that the goal is humans should not be controlling anything "all human input is error". So that means everything on automatic (regardless of it if works or not or what the owners want). Hence the dumb auto seat heaters that literally nobody (sane) asked for and will satisfy nobody (except Elon). All those talking on here about how this update should have been tested more or how the UI/UX team is incompetent or two young, don't kid yourself. They have almost certainly been testing this for months, and the design work would have been done months before. The whole reason this update is the way it is is because this is exactly what Elon directed it to be, and reality (internal testing and user feedback) was never going to change the fundamental design no matter how bad the user experience is. Sadly Elon is the problem now, and until he is gone expect more and more of this.
"all human input is error"
Elon said that? well he is human. maybe.

Why do the relentless complainers always feel the need to dramatically exaggerate everything in order to justify their feedback. :)

I didn’t tell anyone to not post their feedback, like you suggested I did.
In fact, I even said it needed improvement.
I suggested you be patient. I also think much of the feedback I’ve read here, would suggest change and adapting is not their strong suit. Is it yours ?
I like change. When there are improvements.

The only improvement is the ability to choose which apps to display. The fail is, it didn't give you the apps or buttons that were previously there. So it is a fail. I DON"T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT GAMES. Yet, there are customized buttons for them. It is a CAR, first.

It also buried access to most used actions when driving, and reduces contrast and font size. So that is also not an improvement.

21% of people here are stupid as hell.
No, 21% of people are entitled to their own opinions. Based on the screen name you chose for yourself, I think we can tell what your opinion is.

As it exists now, V11 has some challenges that need to be fixed. But I can see where they are going with a few things (for the better if they go the way I think they are).

This is the first time I've ever complained about a UI in a Tesla
Me as well! I used to really look forward to the updates, because I knew they would make my car better. But now I'm not so eager to get them. I'm still baffled that Tesla released this new UI, making so many easily accessed icons now deeper in the menus. Clearly Tesla wants us using the voice commands more frequently, but for me that takes longer and hard to do when you're having a conversation with others in your car. Just give me my easy one tap access!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kjww and Sporty