Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the v10 ui improve over time? I recall features being added which was great. But I don’t recall existing UI features being improved to work better.

After Introducing Software Version 10.0, the (“🔥🔥”) 2020 holiday update brought these UI improvements:
  • When something covers the map, navigation instructions moved to the top part of the car digital twin area so you can still see them.
  • Added wiper and backup-camera buttons to the bottom bar.
  • Added the number of available charge ports to the Supercharger pins on the map.
(Along with UI regressions like harder to read text and smaller map & backup camera. Days later, Elon promised to fix that.)

This UI is so bad, I'd like to revert to the v10 software. I wish there was a definite way to complain to Tesla other than to hope they have someone read the forums or hope that Musk sees a negative tweet somewhere. (After several instances of AP trying to drive through construction barriers and trying to change lanes into oncoming traffic while on a 6000 mi road trip, the only way I could find to complain was to put in for a service appointment during which, when it comes up, they will just tell me too bad, it's beta software - but there isn't any other way to report beta software issues it seems.) Looking for hidden menu items that are several clicks away and in small type will cause accidents - just a matter of time. Maybe the NHTSB needs some reports.

lol come on. People complained last year about the visualization taking up so much space, because unless you were using FSD, it provided zero value.

here we are a year later and what has that patience achieved? diddly squat.
The point I was trying to deliver, is that making a car completely run by a computer to EVERYONE’S satisfaction isn’t easy. Be patient.
Apple has been building phones run by a computer (much easier and less complicated than a car), for a lot longer, and it took them many years to dial it in. It’s still missing features, and they are still catching up on some.
Imagine, Tesla not having perfect software to run their cars, and it’s been over a year people have been complaining. The nerve huh. :)

Let’s face it, all the other electric car manufacturers, that ARE run completely by their software like Tesla, are so much further ahead, so why not just get this perfect right away right?…….

• Disagree
Reactions: RyanS
This UI is so bad, I'd like to revert to the v10 software. I wish there was a definite way to complain to Tesla other than to hope they have someone read the forums or hope that Musk sees a negative tweet somewhere. (After several instances of AP trying to drive through construction barriers and trying to change lanes into oncoming traffic while on a 6000 mi road trip, the only way I could find to complain was to put in for a service appointment during which, when it comes up, they will just tell me too bad, it's beta software - but there isn't any other way to report beta software issues it seems.) Looking for hidden menu items that are several clicks away and in small type will cause accidents - just a matter of time. Maybe the NHTSB needs some reports.
How did we tell Bill Gates Windows Vista sucked?
How did we tell Steve Jobs his UI needed improvement. ?

Getting feedback to Elon directly is much easier than the above guys that I have seen. (Steve isn’t around now, but you get my point).

The masses send Twitter replies to Elon. He doesn’t respond to all, but he gets the message. I believe he even said recently, that changes are coming. Give your feedback over twitter, and be patient.
He will change it. Also, if you just give it some time, you’ll likely find, (like many), some of the features are easier to access than they thought.

The masses send Twitter replies to Elon. He doesn’t respond to all, but he gets the message. I believe he even said recently, that changes are coming. Give your feedback over twitter, and be patient.
He will change it. Also, if you just give it some time, you’ll likely find, (like many), some of the features are easier to access than they thought.
Considering Elon had the new UI long before we got it, it shocks me that he didn't seem to see any possible issues with it. Seriously?!

Considering Elon had the new UI long before we got it, it shocks me that he didn't seem to see any possible issues with it. Seriously?!
I’m sure Bill Gates saw the new version of MS Visio ahead of time also. :)
It isn’t always that easy. Like sports, it’s easy to say, just do it this way, or that way, but behind the scenes, there is so much more going on that you don’t really have a clue about.
Not saying it’s perfect. I mostly like it, some love it, some don’t.
I think many lose perspective on what’s involved in making these UI’s fit everyone’s likes.

I’m sure Bill Gates saw the new version of MS Visio ahead of time also. :)
It isn’t always that easy. Like sports, it’s easy to say, just do it this way, or that way, but behind the scenes, there is so much more going on that you don’t really have a clue about.
Not saying it’s perfect. I mostly like it, some love it, some don’t.
I think many lose perspective on what’s involved in making these UI’s fit everyone’s likes.
There is a ton of ergonomic studies in UI design, especially in automotive and aerospace industry. Blatantly ignoring basic principles is what is surprising. That totally destroys the trust in the company and people start asking themselves “What else?”. There is some value in questioning some established ideas but sometimes (like V11) that goes to extremes. Yes, people adapt to change but every change has cost associated with it and not every change is an improvement. I can spend time to learn and adapt to the new interface but why should I make that investment? It makes my life harder because I bought a car, not an entertainment console. Currently, the UI sucks - both as a car and as an entertainment console. I am shocked it passed QA and UT (if they even do that).

I can spend time to learn and adapt to the new interface but why should I make that investment? It makes my life harder because I bought a car, not an entertainment console.
You kind of did though. You bought a car that is completely and totally controlled by the console. :)

Sounds like you should have stuck with a legacy brand. Change will never end with this car, and the software controlling it. Change never ends with any computer driven device. iPhones included.

It’s fine that you don’t like the UI. To each their own.
I just don’t get all the excessive over the top drama around it. Send the feedback via Twitter, and be patient for improvement.

All the excessive drama just fuels the FUD and haters. If that’s the goal though, then I guess mission accomplished.

You kind of did though. You bought a car that is completely and totally controlled by the console. :)

Sounds like you should have stuck with a legacy brand. Change will never end with this car, and the software controlling it. Change never ends with any computer driven device. iPhones included.

I just don’t get all the excessive over the top drama around it. Send the feedback via Twitter, and be patient for improvement.

All the excessive drama just fuels the FUD and haters. If that’s the goal though, then I guess mission accomplished.
The point is that I am willing to invest in adapting to a change if there is a positive return from that investment. Hence, I bought an electric car with UI that was OK - most of the car related functions were intuitive (somewhat) and easily accessible. There were improvements along the way - they made things easier to use.
V11 swung in the other direction. Car-related functionality is harder to use. Which could be OK if I am just a passenger but we are years away from that moment. Hell, even the adaptive cruise control is not there yet with all that fantom braking. Let’s be honest, the FSD is cool but it is far away from replacing a human driver. Until that happens, the car controls should be as ergonomic as possible.
Yes, I bought a car with a touch screen but never expected that someone without any experience in automotive design will get there hands on this or that such a failure would pass QA/UT. There was a level of trust that, thanks to V11, is destroyed.
Why the drama? Because I love the car and the mission behind Tesla. But such rookie mistakes undermine not only the value of the company/car but also open the mission for criticism. Tesla is in the spotlight as is; we do not need more drama. The total silence, however, leads me to believe that they do not really understand or appreciate the size of the issue. Just imagine if a “traditional” manufacturer makes such a mistake.
I am thankful that Tesla converted me to the electrical car; however, at the moment I doubt that my next car would be Tesla. In the next few years we will see an explosion of EV options (again, thanks to Tesla) and if they continue to make such rookie mistakes they will start losing. Not that many people are willing to cope up with issues like that just in the name of 2s 0-60. I could care less about the fact that I am driving the fastest acceleration car on the market, gladly give up the entire entertainment section of the UI if I could get another 100mi of range, better UI, better storage, reliable drivetrain, etc. - all things associated with a “luxury” vehicle.

Change will never end with this car, and the software controlling it. Change never ends with any computer driven device. iPhones included.

Well stated. IMO, while there are a lot of little things that were screwed up and need to be fixed, if they are headed the direction I think they are, I see this as a move in the right direction.

And be prepared; you will most likely get a fair amount of downvotes for this.

This is why the changes are not “small” and why this is detrimental for the whole EV idea

While unfortunate for sure, this had nothing to do with change big or small, or the UI.
This is a programming issue. It happens in any product that has complex software running complex equipment.

Could have happened during any update. It still may be detrimental to EV’s, but I think sales show overall, it’s a good thing, and people want it.

It will improve. Patience with less drama however, will be less detrimental to EV’s….

Reactions: Kevy Baby
While unfortunate for sure, this had nothing to do with change big or small, or the UI.
This is a programming issue. It happens in any product that has complex software running complex equipment.

Could have happened during any update. It still may be detrimental to EV’s, but I think sales show overall, it’s a good thing, and people want it.

It will improve. Patience with less drama however, will be less detrimental to EV’s….

It goes towards the overall lack of QA (on certain aspects of their development processes).

When was the last time you heard of an year luxury car heater not working - not on an individual car but on a larger scale?
This was a direct result of the update, which had more than just UI changes.
In any case, the drama is already there. The sooner they fix V11 the better. Unfortunately, given the facts as we know them now, it may take a while, if ever…

those "Challenges" should not have been released. UX designers must not use their own software in real world scenarios. Or they are too familiar with the complexity to antipate a new users "experience". THey are developing on a computer at home or at work.
This is a CAR. It needs to be safe; FIRST, entertainment and portfolio design last.
that is the point. Regressions can cause accidents. This isn't some stupid App that releases "improvements" as update marketing. Constantly making users their QA control. WIth a car, users as QA control could mean an accident., worse death.

these UX decisions should NEVER have been allowed to get released. And this is before the programming. The designs have to grt approved first. Which is makes this worse.