Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
says the person from a state where it rains once a year
That has nothing to do with it.

"That works if the windshield is wet, but if the thing you're trying to do is turn off/reduce the frequency, tapping the stalk is rather counterproductive..."
Claiming counterproductivity is FUD. Hitting the stalk is AN EFFICIENT AND SIMPLE WAY TO BRING UP THE CONTROLS. Sorry that it's different than what you are used to - the world changes and it is best to adapt.

"...and could potentially scrape the windshield." Major, heavy duty FUD.
A satellite may potentially fall from the sky and kill me
Facebook may potentially stop running ads and stop tracking you
Congress may stop arguing and everyone just calmly gets along and peacefully chats to resolve differences

ALSO (emphasis mine)
"That works if the windshield is wet, but if the thing you're trying to do is turn off/reduce the frequency..."

Are you in the practice of having your wipers running if the windshield is dry? If the wipers were running, that means the windshield is/was wet immediately preceding the need to "turn off/reduce the frequency," so any argument of a dry windshield being damaged by "unnecessary wipes" is null. Yes, I know that in snowy regions that road ice is a very real concern, but the danger of scraping existed well before any concern that a single random swipe ever even thought about doing damage.

Stop the FUD

That has nothing to do with it.

"That works if the windshield is wet, but if the thing you're trying to do is turn off/reduce the frequency, tapping the stalk is rather counterproductive..."
Claiming counterproductivity is FUD. Hitting the stalk is AN EFFICIENT AND SIMPLE WAY TO BRING UP THE CONTROLS. Sorry that it's different than what you are used to - the world changes and it is best to adapt.

"...and could potentially scrape the windshield." Major, heavy duty FUD.
A satellite may potentially fall from the sky and kill me
Facebook may potentially stop running ads and stop tracking you
Congress may stop arguing and everyone just calmly gets along and peacefully chats to resolve differences

ALSO (emphasis mine)
"That works if the windshield is wet, but if the thing you're trying to do is turn off/reduce the frequency..."

Are you in the practice of having your wipers running if the windshield is dry? If the wipers were running, that means the windshield is/was wet immediately preceding the need to "turn off/reduce the frequency," so any argument of a dry windshield being damaged by "unnecessary wipes" is null. Yes, I know that in snowy regions that road ice is a very real concern, but the danger of scraping existed well before any concern that a single random swipe ever even thought about doing damage.

Stop the FUD
Wow, why are you so lit up about this? Wiper controls (at least on the Y) are sub standard from the jump. That's the cards we were dealt.

The UI on the controls is pretty bad.

Tapping the button is a work around for lack of real stalk controls. Sure, it works, I use it, but it's still sub standard. (I actually always go straight to full wash every time, all day long.)

It's easy to tap the car and check the setting, but then if it's wrong, it's not easy to reach over and fix it.

This is a totally fair line of discussion, not FUD. Your stock price is not going to suffer due to a legit gripe about the wipers.

This place. Wow.

Wow, why are you so lit up about this? Wiper controls (at least on the Y) are sub standard from the jump. That's the cards we were dealt.

The UI on the controls is pretty bad.

Tapping the button is a work around for lack of real stalk controls. Sure, it works, I use it, but it's still sub standard. (I actually always go straight to full wash every time, all day long.)

It's easy to tap the car and check the setting, but then if it's wrong, it's not easy to reach over and fix it.

This is a totally fair line of discussion, not FUD. Your stock price is not going to suffer due to a legit gripe about the wipers.

This place. Wow.
I was responding the hyperbole of another poster making ridiculous claims. I have a 3 and the controls are the same. This is in a thread about V11 and its changes (not directly about the JUST the wipers). The wipers on V11 no longer have a button on the touchscreen and many (myself included) found that an alternative to have to touch the screen one extra time to get to the wiper controls (which is a common theme in this thread: people angry about an extra touch like somehow one touch was perfectly fine, but two touches is just crazy and dangerous) would be to just push the button on the stalk (sorry for the run-on sentence).

I was countering the post where claims that an extra wipe was going to damage the windshield. This is simply ridiculous.

The ONLY change to the wiper controls between V10 and V11 is that you don't have a single touch (it is now two) to get to the controls (without using the button on the stalk). What comes up has the exact same controllability. Now, you may find THOSE controls lacking, but they have been that way since before the Y came out.

V11 came out too soon in my opinion (and most people's in this thread). Personally, I see good potential in the changes and we are slowly seeing some coming to fruition.

And other than possibly in a mutual fund somewhere, I do not own any Tesla stock. I am not a Tesla apologist; I just like to think with basic logic.

I'm laughing with you, not at you as I have done the same thing. More than once.

It was painful and funny at the same time. For a second I panicked, thinking I'd be rear ended, but it just held everyone up.

I don't mind using the stalk button to bring up the wipers card, but the climate/defog/seat heat controls have been *awful* under v11. I haven't yet received the latest update, but it seems it's still not been made "whole".

Reactions: navguy12
>Wait til you spin the right scroll wheel to increase the volume!

Not if you're on the freeway. Hey, why isn't it getting louder (spins again). That's weird (spins again).

This hasn't happened for a while though.
so you try to turn the volume up but increase the speed, then get more wind noise so you try to turn the volume up even more...

I've frequently mixed up controls in cars - I'm used to tapping the stalk on the Tesla to go from reverse to drive and end up turning on the windshield wipers in our other cars.

The ONLY change to the wiper controls between V10 and V11 is that you don't have a single touch (it is now two) to get to the controls (without using the button on the stalk)
that is neither a change, nor the only change.

both UIs required two taps. the difference was that in v11, the place where you tap to change the speed is five miles away from you. it means that it cannot be seen out of the corner of your eye and requires you to reach much farther to make the change.

Reactions: PACEMD
Right, and for me, the wiper controls on the new UI are much easier to access. I hated the "cards". Or maybe my arms are just longer.......we should all stop assuming our reality is universal.......it is not.......The classic error of thinking everyone is just like me, only not quite as sharp, is a common fallacy, and always wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
One more reason the wiper icon is better than the button on the stalk: You can tap it to see if the wipers are set to off or auto. This is useful when the windshield is full of rain drops, but the wipers aren't moving.
Oh dear, how in the world could that ever happen? The wipers are AUTOMATIC after all. No user input is better, the ”off” position should be removed immediately!

Long press for defrost?, seats? and wipers? FFS, is that just a UX designer's "FU" to us? Cause we complained only games and ENT where customizable? so, give use the option but still hide it? geeze, consumers just don't have any power anymore...

90% of people won't know that a long press is available to them. most people don't even know to use it on their phones!

why are UX designers so afraid of functionality? ugh.

Long press for defrost?, seats? and wipers? FFS, is that just a UX designer's "FU" to us? Cause we complained only games and ENT where customizable? so, give use the option but still hide it? geeze, consumers just don't have any power anymore...

90% of people won't know that a long press is available to them. most people don't even know to use it on their phones!

I actually sort of under stand this (not saying it's ideal). Before you long press or start to drag icons from the whatever (pop up area), they are live shortcuts to that function. If the heater icons are also there, that would imply they could be used as shortcuts to that function, but they are not really shortcuts, but controls.

The solution to only show them after you start editing keeps that clean.

I think the whole thing is overly complex and confusing, could be refined, but I do sort of see some logic in it.

The fact that you can edit them while driving seems problematic to me. Should limit that to Park only, and then give you more clues about editing icons and extra features, maybe just words above in the pop out, edit, heater controls, or something.

Last edited:
I actually sort of under stand this (not saying it's ideal). Before you long press or start to drag icons from the whatever (pop up area), they are live shortcuts to that function. If the heater icons are also there, that would imply they could be used as shortcuts to that function, but they are not really shortcuts, but controls.

The solution to only show them after you start editing keeps that clean.

I think the whole thing is overly complex and confusing, could be refined, but I do sort of see some logic in it.

The fact that you can edit them while driving seems problematic to me. Should limit that to Park only, and then give you more clues about editing icons and extra features, maybe just words above in the pop out, edit, heater controls, or something.
I don’t have this version to actually try out, but from your description it seems poorly thought out. It’s not unlike the rest of V11 - they started with a good idea (being able to customize the interface) but then hacked it together without fully thinking through everything or using any sort of consistency and voila! We have a mess of a UI. :/

It’s another example of how a good UI only seems simple and intuitive because you have people who’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the design to it turns out that way.

The reason is that the seat heater controls come as a pair, with one being near the driver and one near the passenger. They're trying to mix fixed controls with custom controls.

It wreaks of lack of foresight, which seems consistent with all of v11.

I'm pretty sure Tesla lost important staff in the software/UI department so they brought in new people. New people who didn't have the years of refinement experience. It also seems like they may have done a rewrite of the software (a bad idea IMO) and so they've also caused regressions and a slew of other problems.

I'd be pretty content if they actually rolled us all back to v10. Nothing of real value has happened since then.